PDA

View Full Version : Release age?

momma2boo
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
At what age do you start getting our squirrellies acclimated to the outside sights, smells, and temperature fluctuations? At what point do you need to consider overwintering them and does it make a difference where you live as to the cut off date for releasing?

Picabo is weaning herself quickly and I was beginning to wonder when I should get our outside pen ready (new roof, new nesting box, install small feeding door so I don't have to open the large door and limit our contact. I don't think there will be any problem with her being released since she is afraid of everything (humans, rabbits, Meggie the NR, strangers ... and she has never seen the cats or the dog since they are secluded from the rest of the house.)

mugzeezma
09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
At what age do you start getting our squirrellies acclimated to the outside sights, smells, and temperature fluctuations? At what point do you need to consider overwintering them and does it make a difference where you live as to the cut off date for releasing?

Picabo is weaning herself quickly and I was beginning to wonder when I should get our outside pen ready (new roof, new nesting box, install small feeding door so I don't have to open the large door and limit our contact. I don't think there will be any problem with her being released since she is afraid of everything (humans, rabbits, Meggie the NR, strangers ... and she has never seen the cats or the dog since they are secluded from the rest of the house.)
I've been taking the kids about for 2-3 weeks and they are 10-11 weeks now?
At 8 weeks I think they are just too uncoordinated to be high up over hard surfaces. They judge distance badly which is probably why we see so many head trauma older babies. I go out in the release cage and sit with them until they stop acting stupid:D
Being inside they don't set the opportunity to do the stuff wilds do.

Ani is a basket case outside alway running to me and hiding in my shirt. She will be the one that will keep running back home. Ultimately that nervous, over alertness is what will keep her alive.

momma2boo
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultimately that nervous, over alertness is what will keep her alive.

I know and I think she is going to do amazingly as a wild. I think her survival rate will be good because she is soooooo alert. I was holding her tonight and something in the room (rabbit or squirrel) made a noise that scared her and she scurried up my face ... bloodying the side of my nose. I instinctively reached up tp grab her and that is when she bit me. It was quick and painful. I know she didn't do it with the intent to hurt me but she was doing what a squirrel in the wild would do if startled and grabbed. She is ready.

Should I release her here at my house (off the beaten path ... end of a road on a culdesac ... no cats that I've seen and no dogs off leash. However there are hawks that fly through often looking to pick off whatever they can. There aren't alot of large trees in our yard but a forest full no more than 50 yards away.

My other choice is to release on my college campus where she was found but it is:

*Off a busy highway
*Ferrel cats on campus
*No momma to run back home to should there be an emergency

Nancy in New York
09-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I know and I think she is going to do amazingly as a wild. I think her survival rate will be good because she is soooooo alert. I was holding her tonight and something in the room (rabbit or squirrel) made a noise that scared her and she scurried up my face ... bloodying the side of my nose. I instinctively reached up tp grab her and that is when she bit me. It was quick and painful. I know she didn't do it with the intent to hurt me but she was doing what a squirrel in the wild would do if startled and grabbed. She is ready.

Should I release her here at my house (off the beaten path ... end of a road on a culdesac ... no cats that I've seen and no dogs off leash. However there are hawks that fly through often looking to pick off whatever they can. There aren't alot of large trees in our yard but a forest full no more than 50 yards away.

My other choice is to release on my college campus where she was found but it is:

*Off a busy highway
*Ferrel cats on campus

Almost any spot that you release will have drawbacks...you can always find something that is not ideal. But if I were you, I would release at home...JMO.:thumbsup

momma2boo
09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Almost any spot that you release will have drawbacks...you can always find something that is not ideal. But if I were you, I would release at home...JMO.:thumbsup

That is what my heart tells me too, Nancy. Close by where if she were to need me I'd be there.

Nancy in New York
09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
That is what my heart tells me too, Nancy. Close by where if she were to need me I'd be there.

Exactly....:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Kristal
09-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I guess I read 12 to 20 weeks, but I have been reading some people who say that autumn babies often stay with mom until 6 months old or even a bit older... but probably the squirrel will say when if we listen :) How old is the little one?

mugzeezma
09-28-2010, 08:05 PM

*Off a busy highway
*Ferrel cats on campus
On Campus you could still care for her but you would need to wild her up totally at home...no touching and move her out there and release with a nestbox and a food supply in place. You would have to find a place out of the way with littles foot traffic and easy access for yourself.
Sounds just like Ani...won't eat unless the world comes to a standstill. Did that same facial on me too!!!

momma2boo
09-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I guess I read 12 to 20 weeks, but I have been reading some people who say that autumn babies often stay with mom until 6 months old or even a bit older... but probably the squirrel will say when if we listen :) How old is the little one?

She is 10 weeks.

mugzeezma
09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
She is 10 weeks.
Too young...wait AT LEAST another 4 weeks. they don't release them at WWC until they are closer to 16 weeks.

Nancy in New York
09-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I know that everyone feels different about the release age and when to do it. But I ask...how many little ones do you see running around with or without their mama? I never see a tiny one around here on their own. My fall babies still have not come down the trees yet. That has always been a concern of mine. I have heard that they may seem the size to be released, but they do not have the maturity at that age. I know the 4 I have now, not including Fluffer will be 4 months old in November. While they are big even now...what do they know? And the leaves will most likely be gone from the trees, and the food will be scarce and will they know enough to build a nest? When I released here, 6 months was my minimum release age...and if I got a fall baby, they were always overwintered...JMO
This rehabber that I know on Long Island was telling me years ago, that many of the rehabbers down there don't even do fall babies any more because if you have to release them (because they could not overwinter)...they just become hawk food...:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

NaturesGift
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I think Release is up to your baby. How your baby acts. I would get her in an outside cage. My older crew is outside during the day and at first I thought it would be a long while b4 release was possible. my 5 are all between the ages of 9-11 weeks. And all they did was hide when they were outside. Ok everyone but Chase who was like a pingpong ball... But today they were all so active. And feedings are circus of jumping from me ..to things.. and they are very coordinated. And I will release them when they are ready.

And b.c its going to be a fall release I am prepared to be more "helpful" more softer of a release. To ensure they do well.

mugzeezma
09-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I know that everyone feels different about the release age and when to do it. But I ask...how many little ones do you see running around with or without their mama? I never see a tiny one around here on their own. My fall babies still have not come down the trees yet. That has always been a concern of mine. I have heard that they may seem the size to be released, but they do not have the maturity at that age. I know the 4 I have now, not including Fluffer will be 4 months old in November. While they are big even now...what do they know? And the leaves will most likely be gone from the trees, and the food will be scarce and will they know enough to build a nest? When I released here, 6 months was my minimum release age...and if I got a fall baby, they were always overwintered...JMO
This rehabber that I know on Long Island was telling me years ago, that many of the rehabbers down there don't even do fall babies any more because if you have to release them (because they could not overwinter)...they just become hawk food...:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead
I totally agree with you Nancy. I'm not releasing mine until spring. Even if they were ready I would hesitate. Because Julie is down South it may be possible as long as full support is provided and there is cover.
Wild babies stay very close to mom that first year. They either build a drey very close to her or they share one with her or the littermates.