PDA

View Full Version : Baby found today.

hugo
11-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi,

Today i found a baby tree squirrel (about 4-5) weeks that apparently fell from a tree. I never cared for a squirrel before so I may need some advice here. Is it illegal in Florida to keep it as a pet? Should I keep it for a while until its ready to be released? What about rabis? should i worry about a rabis shot right away? and whats best to feed him at this age?

I've been feeding him whole milk from the bottle that my old ferret used to drink from, I tried to give him some fruits but he doenst eat it, is he too young to eat food?

Any help will be appreciated!!! thanks!

hugo
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
BTW here is a picture of the cute thing:

http://myspace-572.vo.llnwd.net/01421/27/58/1421558572_l.jpg

halo
11-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey there. Just saw your post. Im a wildlife rehabber from Kansas. First of all get the baby off the milk! Horrible for it! The next thing u need to do is find a licensed wildlife rehabber in your area. Im sure there are some. They are trained and will know how to raise your baby and then release it back into the wild where it belongs. In the meantime u need Esbilac puppy formula. There are tons of help posted here on this site to help u at first. But please... get it off that cows milk :) And it wont drink from a bottle at this point u will need syringes as well as u can start feeding him solids such as sweet potatoes, walnuts (unsalted nor roasted), some apples, leafy green lettuces and such but introduce it slowly.

Hope this help for now. But please get it to a rehabber

Halo

halo
11-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Here... is this one near you?

Florida, West central region, Pinellas County (St. Petersburg)..... 727-323-0877

Mark and Carla Thomas, Angelic Animals Enterprises, Inc.
info@angelicanimals.org
Wildlife Species: mostly small mammals, reptiles, and birds (and Class III wildlife); No venomous reptiles
Specialty: reptiles (especially snakes); have permit for trapping nuisance wildlife

Halo

squirrelfriend
11-12-2006, 11:19 PM
rabies are not a big concern. nutrition is your baby's biggest concern. is it a he or she? Kmr kitten formula I have used and it worked fine. Many people here swear on puppy formula as well. Deffinitly no cows milk though. Once the baby is weaned make sure it gets its calcium. calcium is a crucial part of their nutrition. lack of it can cause all sorts of bad things and they are very sensitive to calcium defficiency. some of the signs of calcium defficiency are seizures, going lame in the back legs, metabolic bone disease and sudden death. please do not underestimate calcium deficiency. If you have any questions I will try to answer them the best I can. there are many knowledgeable rehabbers here and some of us that are not rehabbers but have taken in one of these fuzzies and raised them. feel free to PM me with any questions. keep me updated on the little guy.

hugo
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
thanks everyone for the tips. I will drop the cow milk and buy some of the formula ASAP. i ahve some apple slices and lettuce in the cage (its a HE btw, i put him in my old ferrets cage) but he doenst seem to care about them at all.

squirrelfriend
11-12-2006, 11:40 PM
lettuce is not really good either. no nutritional value. not bad for them but not good. apple slices are great. if he is not interested in them he might just be too young yet. He should like them soon so keep trying. he probably isn't weaned yet. keep giving him formula until he no longer wants it. he will let you know when that is. keep trying the solid food though. before weaning he will be eating both solids and formula for a little while. oh, no peanuts. these are like junk food for them. they love them but it is like feeding a child candy as a meal. My squirrels like all other nuts. here are some types to try: chestnuts,pine nuts, walnuts, filberts, almonds and pecans. mine seem to like filberts and chestnuts the best but every squirrel is different. like humans they each have their favorites. you will be surprised at how much personality they have. also as far as their diet goes nuts, fruit and vegies. as much variety in these as you can. Yams are also good. mine love yams.

rygel1hardt
11-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Are you saying you put this baby squirrel in with your old ferret? That is definately not a good idea. Ferrets are carnivores and eat squirrels!!! Please make other arrangments for this baby ASAP!!! Also kitten milk is not as good as esbilac puppy milk.. I got in four babies this year raised on KMR for kittens and they were so emaciated that I didnt think they would live. I switched them over to to good formula and they all survived and they have now all been released. Stacey

thanks everyone for the tips. I will drop the cow milk and buy some of the formula ASAP. i ahve some apple slices and lettuce in the cage (its a HE btw, i put him in my old ferrets cage) but he doenst seem to care about them at all.

Somebody's Mother
11-13-2006, 05:54 AM
i think the ferret is history. but he does need to contact a wildlife rehabber asap. and also if dr.rogers is still a practicing vet you may want to take him there. dr rogers was the vet that checked all my rescues as a kid. last time i checked he was still on 62nd Ave and 58th St in Pinellas Park.
good luck!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Hugo..question, can you see the nest it fell from? Do you see squirrels coming and going your squirrels age?
The mother will take it back even with human scent if you think theres a chance you could get it near to the nest. If you have the time to investigate it would be in the squirrels best interest to have his Mom raise him. Even though I am sure you would do a good job, its worth a shot?

halo
11-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I got the impression the ferret wasnt there either. hehe

Yeah, that would be bad to combine the two.

I agree about the Kitten formula. I have had babies brought to me that the people used it and they dont do very well on it. Their nutritional needs are much like a puppy and so therefore they need Esbilac. Kittens have their own nutritional needs

Halo

Momma Squirrel
11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
:Welcome Hugo, how are things going, we need an update??

hugo
11-13-2006, 10:32 AM
No, don't worry, my ferret died last year. I just had the cage. We tried to look for the nest that he fell for but we can't quite figure out where it was. When we found him he was trying to get to the laundry room of the apartments. I contacted a rehaber who gave in the area who gave me a few tips. I got him on Esbilac now and he is starting to bite some of the apple slices.. things are looking great right now for the little guy!!

Somebody's Mother
11-13-2006, 10:41 AM
:thumbsup thank you hugo for caring. and thanks for keeping us updated!

Momma Squirrel
11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks Hugo, so glad you were there for the little guy. Good luck with him and let us know how things are going.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Your a good guy Hugo!:thumbsup Thanks for getting that Esbillac he flourish into a beautiful baby on that.

pia
11-13-2006, 11:25 AM
good to hear:):crazy

hugo
11-13-2006, 11:28 AM
thanks for the help guys! today he is been really good. running around and climbing into everything inside here... he won't even let me sleep:

http://myspace-191.vo.llnwd.net/01420/19/16/1420746191_l.jpg

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Hugo just a word of caution I dont know how many other threads you have read here but please dont let the baby around any cats. If you have a pet cat they must be seperated. Cat saliva is deadly to any rodent including squirrels. :thankyou
you could get him these veggies to start on:
kale --it is loaded with callcium that squirrles need badly
brocolli
califlower
raw sweet potatoe
nice small pieces
also in his cage give him some tree limbs to climb on & sticks ect to chew on.
It may appear when he starts to eat more comes out the other side of his mouth then he gets in his tummy, untill he gets a little bigger.

Momma Squirrel
11-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Hugo, what a great picture, you are young you don't need sleep :D

pia
11-13-2006, 01:11 PM
sooooo cute:) both:D

Gabe
11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Nice picture Hugo. A squirrel that age should not be out of the nest if he has a mother. Generally they leave the nest 3-5 days after mother has died, as they are hungry, and dehydrated. I agree esbilac is the best choice for him. It really would be best to get him to a licensed rehabber in as soon as possible. Single squirrels should never be raised alone. Sometimes we have to do what is best for the squirrel even if it is not the best for us.

hugo
11-16-2006, 12:17 AM
just giving everyone an update... the baby is doing great! seems that the esbillac helped him alot! and he is also eating alot of grapes + apples. we decided to name him "pepe"

theres a new pic of him attached!

Somebody's Mother
11-16-2006, 04:22 AM
he is absolutely precious. ahhhh!! sweet baby.

Squirrellady
11-16-2006, 06:08 AM
He is Adorable!!! Thanks for Sharing!!

Dancingsquirrel
11-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Hugo, Pepe is so lucky you found him and cared enough to seek out help for his proper care! Keep in touch with the rehabber who will know what is best for him, and the advice from the Squirrel Board members who have raised baby squirrels is priceless! :thumbsup

Momma Squirrel
11-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Hugo, thanks for the update and picture, Pepe is adorable

susanw
11-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Hugo, what a cutie he is! Don't you know that new parents don't get much sleep? Do you have anything for him to lie on, like an old tee shirt?

:wave123

ravenlaws32
11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
from one fellow guy to another who loves animals and squirrels . THANK YOU for helping the little guy out :thumbsup

squirrelfriend
11-18-2006, 10:03 AM
that little guy is absolutely adorable! Keep posting pics!

Tammy
11-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi Hugo- Pepe is soooooo cute. You will fall in love with squirells and raising them especially from a baby. Enjoy all the fun Pepe brings to you. Thanks for helping the little one out.:thumbsup

thundersquirrel
11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
hey hugo, sorry i didn't get to this post until now. i'm probably about to restate some things that others have said, but i want to be thourough for the sake of your little baby boy.

heat: usually the FIRST thing you do with a baby is give it heat. since you've had this one a week and might not have been heating it, i think you'll be all right. regardless though, a rice buddy will make your baby very comfortable at night. he'll think it's like mom. (basically it's dry rice in a tied off sock that you nuke for thirty seconds).

water: the SECOND thing is hydration. if your baby's mom died, he may not have been getting the proper hydration for a while. usually you can give it to them in the formula. at his age, i'd feed him two or three times a day until he's full, using a syringe and nipple. 3 parts water to 1 part powdered esbilac puppy formula, heated.

hard food: offer him apple and grapes, but DO NOT :nono :nono :nono give him any of the peel. he's too young to have the peel, on apple OR grapes. if you give him that, he could choke and die. best to be cautious. peel them fruits. walnuts are excellent for young'uns. make sure the pieces are bigger that your pinkie finger nail (again, choking is an issue). if you want to spoil him, some carrots and peas are yummy, and plain yogurt is ok in moderation.

nesting: he probably loves his ferret cage, but he needs a little home in there. if you have a small box or oatmeal can (they LOVE oatmeal cans), punch two holes in the side, string some wire through the holes, and tie the home at the top of the cage. when squirrels are scared, they like to go up for safety. he'll really appreciate a hanging home. since he's young, you could put a big branch in there that ends at his home for easy access. put some paper towel in the cage and have fun watching him rip it up and carry it to his house (if he's a tidy little squirrel).

to keep or not to keep?: this is a hard question that you will have to decide for yourself. watch your squirrel closely as he grows. in florida, i believe it's legal to have a pet squirrel. we have several florida-based owners on this board. but most people, pro-pet or not, will agree that it is the squirrel's nature and attitude that will decide in the end, as well as your own morals. when squirrels are about six weeks old (which Pepe appears to be) they are verrrrrry friendly to humans. you may notice, however, that around the age of 10 to 14 weeks, Pepe will become more reluctant to be held, and will have little or no interest in formula. if you find him lethargic, afraid, nervous and jumpy, chewing on the cage bars, clawing at windows, etc., then you may want to consider training him to be wild for release. if he remains happy, getting a good night's sleep, eating a lot, jumping into your arms, responding to treats, begging for love and attention, then you could consider keeping him.

know, though, that keeping a squirrel is a responsibility that can last anywhere from two years to ten years. ask the pet-owners on this board about the time and work it takes to care for a squirrel; i've never owned one myself, i'm a rehabber, but i'm sure they'll be honest when it comes to measuring responsibility.

*whew* ok, so those are the basics. depending on your decision, we'll have a lot more things to tell you. until then, though, follow our advice. not to brag or anything, but this board is full of experts, in rehabbing, squirrel-owning, and squirrel watching. stick with us. :D

p.s. here's some pics; the first shows a cage with a hanging nesting box, the second is just for fun. ;)

Gabe
11-18-2006, 02:20 PM
thundersquirrel, there's nothing like a squirrel hug. Great pic

island rehabber
11-18-2006, 09:08 PM
*whew* ok, so those are the basics. depending on your decision, we'll have a lot more things to tell you. until then, though, follow our advice. not to brag or anything, but this board is full of experts, in rehabbing, squirrel-owning, and squirrel watching. stick with us. :D

p.s. here's some pics; the first shows a cage with a hanging nesting box, the second is just for fun. ;)

Hey TS -- good to have you back with us!! :wave123
Hugo that baby is adorable, and you've been given excellent advice so far so keep posting those pix and good luck!

hugo
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Bad news guys.

Unfurtunelly Pepe passed today.

When I woke up he was acting very weird, not moving and just staying in his cage, I called the rehab that I was in touch with and she came over but it was already too late. She thinks he may have been sick already, not sure how it happened. I'm really sad, I was really getting attached to him, I feel that I could have done a better job caring for him but that's already too late, I did what I could. Thanks for everyone for helping me with tips.

RIP Pepe.

pia
11-21-2006, 12:44 AM
pepe too? so sad...

Bell & Noah
11-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Soooo sorry Hugo to hear about Pepe. This has happened to quite a few on this board, just with in a week, not sure why :grouphug

Momma Squirrel
11-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Hugo I am so sorry to hear about Pepe. Way too much sadness on this board. Squerly and I have been traveling alot and see way too many animals that don't make it. Just breaks my heart no matter what they are. Our thoughts are with you and Pepe had such a good life with you before he left you, thank you for being there for him. :grouphug

island rehabber
11-21-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm very sorry, Hugo, for your loss of that sweet baby. I can only think the fall must have caused him some neurological or internal problems that no one could see until it was too late, as this is usually what happens when a baby squirrel dies a while after being rescued. As others have told you, be glad that he passed in a warm, loving home and be ready for the next little squirrel who needs you. :grouphug

Buddy'sMom
11-21-2006, 07:16 AM
So very sorry to hear about Pepe. You gave him a very good home and lots of love and comfort for as long as you had him. Well done.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-21-2006, 07:21 AM
I am sorry, but you never know when you will be called upon again to help a baby squirrel.:Love_Icon

thundersquirrel
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I've had so many squirrels die this year, i can understand what you must be feeling. every time a squirrel dies of unknown causes, i attack myself, wondering if i caused it and what i could have done better. after so many deaths, though, i'm beginning to realize that a squirrel's life is fragile, and a squirrel that needs rehabilitation has even worse chances. there's only so much we can do.

Pepe is still with you; he's sitting on your shoulder. He'll always sit there. :Love_Icon