PDA

View Full Version : Weaning already?

Kelly Brady
09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
To the best of my knowledge, my two babies are reaching the 10 week range.

They are packing on grams daily and thriving. They had been eating 14 cc's four times an day and last week went to three times a day. (their choice) Around 11:00 a.m. I give them two HHB cut into small pieces. They devour them and also love veggies such as broccoli, lettuces and pea pods after their afternoon feeding.

Now they do not want much if any FV formula. So far the morning feeding is the biggie and 10 cc's. I have never had one let alone two cut so far back on formula this early. :thinking At his age should I eliminate the HHB? The HHB has everything they need in it too.:bowdown

Is the FV more important at this stage or let them pick their food? Thank goodness for advice from TSB. I worry:dono

Nancy in New York
09-25-2010, 07:58 PM

They are packing on grams daily and thriving. They had been eating 14 cc's four times an day and last week went to three times a day. (their choice) Around 11:00 a.m. I give them two HHB cut into small pieces. They devour them and also love veggies such as broccoli, lettuces and pea pods after their afternoon feeding.

Now they do not want much if any FV formula. So far the morning feeding is the biggie and 10 cc's. I have never had one let alone two cut so far back on formula this early. :thinking At his age should I eliminate the HHB? The HHB has everything they need in it too.:bowdown

Is the FV more important at this stage or let them pick their food? Thank goodness for advice from TSB. I worry:dono

I am probably the last one to give advice on this....but I love them on formula as long as they take it...they can have it. I would cut back on the block and try a little something in the formula like a little bit of yogart, applesauce, anything that you think will peek their interest. Mine loved sweet potato in their formula...I know not the best of choices...but that was their best, and it was just a tiny amount. Just enough to make them keep taking it. OR you can try the boo balls...that has the block and the formula, but not as their main diet...if you do this, I would still give them the veggies.

Kelly Brady
09-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Nancy,

I tried that today and Wa la, they ate 10 cc's each for breakfast and 10 cc's each for afternoon feeding. They each got a half of one small HHB after the afternoon feeding. They are soooo big. I swear it is the FV. When I got them they were probably as should be but looked so boney to me. Well they are big ole chuncked up monkeys now.:thumbsup

I really agree, I like them taking formula for as long as they can take it in. They did eat veggies as well. They are great eaters. They like everything veggie wise.

Thanks so much,

Nancy in New York
09-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Nancy,

I tried that today and Wa la, they ate 10 cc's each for breakfast and 10 cc's each for afternoon feeding. They each got a half of one small HHB after the afternoon feeding. They are soooo big. I swear it is the FV. When I got them they were probably as should be but looked so boney to me. Well they are big ole chuncked up monkeys now.:thumbsup

I really agree, I like them taking formula for as long as they can take it in. They did eat veggies as well. They are great eaters. They like everything veggie wise.

Thanks so much,
:alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif I'm telling you, pretty soon you are going to need a bigger cage for work...:rotfl

momma2boo
09-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I am probably the last one to give advice on this....but I love them on formula as long as they take it...they can have it. I would cut back on the block and try a little something in the formula like a little bit of yogart, applesauce, anything that you think will peek their interest. Mine loved sweet potato in their formula...I know not the best of choices...but that was their best, and it was just a tiny amount. Just enough to make them keep taking it. OR you can try the boo balls...that has the block and the formula, but not as their main diet...if you do this, I would still give them the veggies.

:thumbsup
I add some Earth's Best Apples & Plums to their formula along with some organic extra virgin coconut oil and they love it. My little girl, Picabo) is about 10 weeks old right now and has cut back on her formula too. She has 15 cc's FV first thing in the morning, a boo-ball for lunch, 10 cc's FV for dinner, and 10-15 cc's FV at bed time.

She is also offered whateve the fresh veggie of the day is. Spring mix, pea pods, broccoli, ... whatever we have.

island rehabber
09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Even if they are cutting back, 10 weeks is not a bad age for this, Kelly. Weaning for grey squirrels begins at 8 weeks, I was told. The bad thing is when you have one who starts weaning at 7 weeks and by 8 weeks takes no formula at all -- those nearly always end up with a scrawny body and skimpy tail :shakehead.

But yeah, the longer you can get 'em to take formula, the better!

Ashleynicole
09-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Even if they are cutting back, 10 weeks is not a bad age for this, Kelly. Weaning for grey squirrels begins at 8 weeks, I was told. The bad thing is when you have one who starts weaning at 7 weeks and by 8 weeks takes no formula at all -- those nearly always end up with a scrawny body and skimpy tail :shakehead.

But yeah, the longer you can get 'em to take formula, the better!

My little guy at his peak was taking 9 ml of formula and then when he started eating the HHB's, he drinks 3-5 ml max and then he doesn't want anything else to do with it. I continue to offer him the formula 4 times a day and i give him the HHB's twice a day after the morning and afternoon feedings. We think he is 8-9 weeks. He still hasn't shown any interest in any fruits or vegatbles.. although he devoured an almond i gave him.. (i only gave him one i swear!)

jo_schmoe
09-27-2010, 07:40 AM
My little guy at his peak was taking 9 ml of formula and then when he started eating the HHB's, he drinks 3-5 ml max and then he doesn't want anything else to do with it. I continue to offer him the formula 4 times a day and i give him the HHB's twice a day after the morning and afternoon feedings. We think he is 8-9 weeks. He still hasn't shown any interest in any fruits or vegatbles.. although he devoured an almond i gave him.. (i only gave him one i swear!)

Jude started doing the same thing. I cut back to every 6 hrs on the FV and he downs more this way than at every 4 hrs. Its the first thing I offer in the morn and thats when he takes the most. I never forced my human kids to eat....just kinda let them get hungry and decide for themselves when they wanted food. I doubt that a squirrel would starve itself if there is food available. He doesnt like the HHBs or the boo balls. He's a FV and fresh veggie kinda boy. Im looking into alternate ways to keep using these blocks for Jude. ( the big ones LOVE them ) I might just start making my own to suit his taste better. Spoiled little guy!!! LOL

mugzeezma
09-27-2010, 07:57 AM

Ani is my gung ho what's for dinner gal even though Finnagin is bigger. She wanted to wean at 7 weeks so I changed to a stiffer silicone nipple that she chomps on. I cut back to bigger feeding @ 6-7am and 8-9 pm and snuggle them into a towel. I think they become so alert that it's hard for them to sit still long enough to feed. I have minimal food in the cage at night and load them up during the day with 3 types of block and veggies. Eventually the consume all the block and BooBalls HHb whatever. I like the BooBalls because they are made up 1/2 formula powder. In a couple more weeks I will drop back to one feeding and drag that out as long as possible. Mugzi didn't fully wean until 15-16weeks. He was a big boy at a lean mean 26 ounces and close to 12" from nose to base of tail. His tail was extreme!

Kelly Brady
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Well this is just so helpful everyone. Thanks for the input. I feel like an Italian Mom screaming eat eat eat. I am completely freaked when they do not eat FV.

I do not feel so bad now IR except they currently have the most beautiful tails ever. Uggggg. This morning for their breakfast they actually clamped their mouths shut like a stubborn child. Nope Nope Nope. So I snuggled and we played and then as they got sleepy, they took 10 cc's a peice.

Yesturday I did make a fresh batch of boo balls and they really went for that. They eat everything in sight.

Peanut dropped a hazelnut on top of their cage last week and they went crazy over it so I let it drop into the cage. They have rolled it and played with it, slept with it and tried to chew it. Well today is a milestone. Right here at work, crunch crunch for at least one hour,(bosses loved that one) figgy finally got it open for the reward. Great now they will never want formula. Ha ha.
You are all wonderful and your sharing is so valuable to me. Have a great day all.

Ashleynicole
09-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Well this is just so helpful everyone. Thanks for the input. I feel like an Italian Mom screaming eat eat eat. I am completely freaked when they do not eat FV.

I do not feel so bad now IR except they currently have the most beautiful tails ever. Uggggg. This morning for their breakfast they actually clamped their mouths shut like a stubborn child. Nope Nope Nope. So I snuggled and we played and then as they got sleepy, they took 10 cc's a peice.

Yesturday I did make a fresh batch of boo balls and they really went for that. They eat everything in sight.

Peanut dropped a hazelnut on top of their cage last week and they went crazy over it so I let it drop into the cage. They have rolled it and played with it, slept with it and tried to chew it. Well today is a milestone. Right here at work, crunch crunch for at least one hour,(bosses loved that one) figgy finally got it open for the reward. Great now they will never want formula. Ha ha.
You are all wonderful and your sharing is so valuable to me. Have a great day all.

cansomeone please give me the recipe for the booboo balls that your feeding your little one's? i thought i found the recipe but that was for squirrel blocks.
Thank you

jo_schmoe
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Yep. This is Momma2Boos recipe. :thankyou
1 part rodent block
i part dry FV powder
1 part crushed pecans.
Mix ingredients together and add several drops of organic extra virgin coconut oil. Remix.
Add organic fruit baby food. (I use yogurt sometimes) until about the consistency of cookie dough. Refrig for 5 hrs or overnight. Roll into balls and serve.

Kelly Brady
09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Jo, I was trying to get it posted when you did it for me:D

Jackie in Tampa
09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi KB...I have an abundance of querly Qs....none are weaning...:shakehead
3 came in today and going for 3 now in odessa! Oye...I am knee deep in fur!:D
and to think i said i wasn't doing sqs this year...:osnap

Ashleynicole
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Yep. This is Momma2Boos recipe. :thankyou
1 part rodent block
i part dry FV powder
1 part crushed pecans.
Mix ingredients together and add several drops of organic extra virgin coconut oil. Remix.
Add organic fruit baby food. (I use yogurt sometimes) until about the consistency of cookie dough. Refrig for 5 hrs or overnight. Roll into balls and serve.

can you use almonds instead of pecans?

mugzeezma
09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
can you use almonds instead of pecans?
Personally I use hazelnuts...whatever.
walnuts are very fatty

Ashleynicole
09-29-2010, 06:40 AM
The reason i ask is because we love almonds and I have bags of slivered unsalted almonds that i use for cooking, or putting in my yogurt or cereal. I also keep assorted flavored, salted, roasted, etc almonds but i know better than to give them to the squirrel.