PDA

View Full Version : Metabolic Bone Disease in 8 week old Eastern Grey

winky2
09-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi all, I now (unfortunately) have my first case of MBD. I just picked up an 8 week old eastern grey squirrel from the rehab center to finish raising and do a soft release. As soon as I got her home I realized she was dragging her back legs. I called the rehab center back and here is the history I have on her:

Apparently it was brought in the day before by a young lady who said she found her about 3-4 weeks prior. She said the baby was wandering around by herself and walking right up to people. She said her eyes were open and she ate solid food from day one so she never gave her any formula, ever! She fed her pine nuts, sunflower seeds, corn, berries and some veggies too. She wanted her to be released with other squirrels so she brought her to us. The rehab center vet did the intake and said the squirrel was crawling all over the young lady and didn't seem to be dragging her hind legs at all. She was placed in a 30 gallon glass enclosure along with her nest (a slipper). Left alone with some food and water until I came for her the next morning.

Sounds like classic MBD to me so I started her on Tums immediately, put her in a small plastic incubator with access to a heating pad, and I've started her on FV 32/40 as well. So far she's had 750 mg of calcium over the last 24 hours and I'm not seeing any signs of improvement yet but no progression either. I will continue with the SB protocol for emergency treatment for MBD.

The poor little thing is scared to death of me which is breaking my heart because she's in pain, abandoned by her mom and not able to move. I'll address the diet issue later, It's too soon to start a solid food since she's not able to sit up and eat at this point.

Anyway, If you guys can think of any thing else I should be doing or have any comments I'm all ears.

Thanks!

winky2
09-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh, I also put her on Metacam for the pain.

Jackie in Tampa
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
in reguards to metacam, I would guess you know she MUST be hydrated.
Thank you for helping her...
I would not give that much calcium, but that's just me...
FV and 400mg a day is all I would give an 8 week old....push the formula, add yogurt for her tummy.
How is her weight? her fur? her eyes, Dull? are her front arms working and is she alert?
Lethargy is a big symptom with MBD...
Sqs tend to freak out easy.
A simple door shutting may be enough to cause seizure...flipping on a bright light may be enough to bring on a seizure.
have you seen seizures yet?
MUSHROOMS...are also high in D, even though you are getting D in the FV, offer shrooms. You must have D to metabolize the calcium.
I would also include water diluted molasses (calcium) the color of ice tea...serve everything warm..an MBD sq will need to be kept in low key environment. Heat is good!:bowdown
Alternate fluids as often as you think you can without taking her fragile state over the edge mentally. They are very fragile minded with this disease.
I will PM you a recipe for semi solids , use it for 3-5 days...
Thank you for doing all that you are!:grouphug

winky2
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Jackie, Yes, she is very lethargic, doesn't really move at all. I made a blanket nest for her (too hard to get her out of the slipper) and she just lays there in the same spot. I have her in a dark quiet room and only disturb her for fluids, meds and urine stimulation. No seizures yet that I am aware of but I do have midazolam on hand if I need it. She's small for her age, only 195 grams, coat is about the right length and thickness for her age but a little dull and her eyes are bright but she doesn't look around or blink much. I'll watch for eye irritation and lube them if she doesn't perk up soon. She's not very fond of the formula so I gave her the max calcium dose for day one. I'll try your banana shake recipe and the molasses water and reduce the calcium today. Thanks for your help!

Kristal
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Bah, people. I guess this woman did not bother to do any research at all. I suspect that doing a release in such a way is cruel even if the squirrel is healthy.

winky2
09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Can we move this thread?

She's starting to show some improvement... moving around the cage a bit, nibbling on some rodent block, and is gaining some function in her hind legs (she can pull her knees up to her belly if I pinch her toes now, before all I got was a tiny twitch).

Jackie in Tampa
09-26-2010, 04:16 AM
:Love_Icon love improving sqs!:Love_Icon

island rehabber
09-26-2010, 05:37 AM
Great news!! I'm happy to move you to Non Life-Threatening :thumbsup