PDA

View Full Version : More Woes for BH

Preacher
11-11-2006, 11:28 PM
I've been giving her the yogurt snacks, & some bone to chew on to help with the calcium. Got the full spectrum light for her & she was actually gaining weight again, but in the last week i can tell she's lost weight again & completly lost the use of her left back leg. She's rubbed the hair off of what I guess would be her knee(?) from constantly dragging it. I work with it back & forth to keep it loose, don't know if it helps or not. I can put nuts out & she will crawl all over the house burying them, but it seems like she gets tired & has to rest. Plus she don't fight with me no more just sits or lays on me if not busy with nuts. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but she bit Agee tonite, badly, which she's never done before. I just don't know what to do. Couls she have had a stroke?

island rehabber
11-12-2006, 05:55 AM
Precher, I am SO sorry to hear about this. Did she have a fall that you know of, could she have sprained or broken that leg? If the fur is actually rubbed off it must have happened a while ago. Do you have any good rehabbers near you who could take a look at her? I'll try to look up some if you need me to.....

Momma Squirrel
11-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Preacher so sorry to hear about BH, not much help on what to do but can you take her to a vet or wildlife person for some expert advice?? She is probably in some pain and that is why she bit, I'm sure she didn't mean it personally, just doesn't feel good. I will keep my thoughts with you and
BH and hope for the best :grouphug Keep us posted. It is such a helpless feeling that we have when we don't know what to do and can't help them fast enough. Those big brown eyes will just go right to your very soul.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 06:22 AM
I'm assuming she's rubbed the hair off, plus the redness of the joint there. She doesn't seem to be "tender" anywhere when I handle her & work that leg. This was the same leg that she got wrapped up so bably in string back in Aug, but would it have taken that long for some type of damage to show. She was still using it a week or so ago. No bad falls or such that we know of. Agee's the only one that appears to be in pain.Afraid the bite went to the bone.
I think the closest rehabber is in Greensboro, & most around in this area are sort of shy bout helping with a grown critter thats not wild. Have to be releaseable & all. Vets here won't do nothing for fear of getting in trouble.
The best I can tell it's not broken or sprained, no swelling, thats why I wondered about stroke. Her appitite seems ok, & except for her odd biting of Agee her temperment seems fine. She was just loving away on Agee one min. & the next wham! No crying or wimpering, which she has done when in pain with her sores before.But she's clean as a whistle now.

Somebody's Mother
11-12-2006, 06:35 AM
how close are you to greenville,sc? i have a vet in greer that would probably take a look, no questions asked.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks but we're proably a good distance away. We're right in the middle of N.C. There is a wildlife medical center out towards Raleigh, but they won't even talk to you if the animal isn't able to be released back to the wild. It's these goofy laws here. Even licensed rehabbers aren't supposed to keep an animal that can't be released. It's funny that you can get a permit for an "exotic" pet, which is a wild animal, but not for one native to the area.

I just looked on a map, & it's about a 21/2 hr. or so drive I'm guessing. We're bout 90 min from Charolett.Mabey a little less.

Somebody's Mother
11-12-2006, 07:38 AM
i can ask dr.patch if he knows of another vet closer to you that would treat her.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks Again!!

Buddy'sMom
11-12-2006, 08:06 AM
So sorry to hear about BH's leg ... and Agee's hand/arm(?). I know it must be very upsetting for all of you. Our thoughts are with you.

Can you keep BH a bit confined so she can maybe rest the leg until you can find someone to look at it?

Take care ---- and lots of deep breaths.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 08:32 AM
It was Agee's hand, it'll be sore for a couple of days but she'll survive. She's bit me a couple of time that bad & IT HURTS, but she had gotten spooked at the time & I figure it was a reflex. She can be in her nest, I'll put my hand in & she will take me by a finger 7 pull my hand into her nest to give her scratchins! She won't do that with Agee.

With her bad hips we keep her in a cage when we're unable to be here to watch her. But She usually runs around it all day! Espically since I got the "sun' light for her. Seemed for awhile like she had even more energy. I was gonna take her out a few minutes ago to check her but she ain't in the mood rite now...chattering teeth & all. I've learned thats her way of saying don't bother me right now! She's been that way a looong time! Like me I guess, grumpy in the mornings!

Somebody's Mother
11-12-2006, 09:15 AM
there is a rehabber in hickory that knows a vet. but the rehabber won't be home till later today. i will let you know soon as i hear something.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 09:22 AM
OK, I'll be leaving shortly for a couple of hours. Then I should be home the rest of the day, working on my Honey Do list! BH is just chillin rite now lisening to music!

Buddy'sMom
11-12-2006, 10:28 AM
That's so cool about the music, I had forgotten. It's nice that you can put that on and comfort her even when you're not there!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I know you will do the best you can for him, and thats all we can do for our little squirrels.
Keeping him in my thoughts here.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Just got back...guess I'm gonna have to let her out. Soon as I came in the living room she grabbed this brazil nut & climbed up on the side of her cage...her way of saying LET ME OUT...got work to do!!!! Ever had a nut buried down the back or yur britches??? She's not real picky where she buries stuff! I guessnm bm,sdas/.azzlw qw'; sorry...she does still try to type!
As I was trying to say, I'll keep on checkin...gotta get off here & hunt her...she just headed down the hall towards the bedroom!

Somebody's Mother
11-12-2006, 12:15 PM
i am continuing to try and make contact with someone. even put a message out to my vet's daughter on myspace.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
i was just thinkin...awhile back some of yuns recomended to take out the salt wheel i had in her cage...canthey get addicted to that? Every time I let her out she licks my neck or arms...or just steals my cap & licks on it, like she NEEDS the salt. Any ideas there?

Gabe
11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Could she have a pelvic or nerve injury? If there is swelling, even though you cannot feel or see it, along the spinal cord it is important to get some meds to reduce the swelling. Squirrels fortunately recover well from nerve injuries but the meds are very important.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Got an e-mail from a local rehabber who sais there were vets in Winston that would look at BH. I've asked to send me their numbers or names so I can call them. I really want to thank everyone for your concern & help. Not trying to get myself any pity here but gotta hope rite now I can find a way to get away from work to get her there. Anyone else tried to take her she'd eat them up. At least she likes riding!
Thanks again!