PDA

View Full Version : I will NEVER use tap water for formula again.

Lady Squirrelly
09-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I was having terrible problems with formula year. I was at Anne's so often, my car was on auto pilot. :D

I have been doing this for 7 or 8 years with few problems. When we had Esbi-crap problems last year, I switched to FV. I was VERY pleased. It smelled better and the baby pee did not smell as bad.

This year has been a nightmare. Loose poops, skinny babies, and I think it caused me to lose two.

I hate feeling ribs and backbones. The number one rule at my house is "No skinny babies."

Jolene was my first baby of the season. She was a single for quite a while and my first problem. Anne gave meds and she finally cleared up but is now stunted. Maybe it was the tummy problems or maybe she was just always set to be very small. She got OK but skinny and then I got more babies.

I started having more problems.

I had three on meds, they would clear up, go off meds, and right back to the liquid poops. Everyone else was doing OK but not great.

I tried every thing except changing the water. It has always been fine. I had to replace my hot water heater and the water was cut off most of one day. I had to go to the local mini market and buy bottled water for formula. I only used it for the time my water was out. It was only 2 feedings. Then swithched back to my usual hot tap water.

Things were still bad. I was to the point of taking all my babies to Anne and giving them up. The person that I am, knew the problem HAD to be ME and I felt I was killing babies. I could not live with that idea.

After reading the thread about problems with Fox Valley again and thinking about it, I went and got the bottled water. It takes extra steps in mixing but I had to try.

I mix the formula with the cold water and slowly heat it in a hot water bath by placing the milk container in a coffee mug of hot water on a drink warmer. I have to shake it from time to time as it warms. I also have to start before they are ready to eat so the formula warms up enough. I really like the warmer because the formula stays warm and does not usually get too hot. This is the first time I have ever used one but when the Christmas sales start and they are in all the stores, I will stock up.

IT WORKED!!! Tummies settled down, and skinny babies chunked up. I did lose one sweet soul, Jason and a tiny unnamed 2 week old girl. I switched too late for those sweet ones.

RIP little ones, Mommy is so sorry. :grouphug

It is just natural spring water but it has made the difference in all my darlings. I have 9 right now. 5 should leave before winter and the last 4 will winter over with me.

It was not me, it was not the Fox Valley, it was the water.

momma2boo
09-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I was having terrible problems with formula year. I was at Anne's so often, my car was on auto pilot. :D

I have been doing this for 7 or 8 years with few problems. When we had Esbi-crap problems last year, I switched to FV. I was VERY pleased. It smelled better and the baby pee did not smell as bad.

This year has been a nightmare. Loose poops, skinny babies, and I think it caused me to lose two.

I hate feeling ribs and backbones. The number one rule at my house is "No skinny babies."

Jolene was my first baby of the season. She was a single for quite a while and my first problem. Anne gave meds and she finally cleared up but is now stunted. Maybe it was the tummy problems or maybe she was just always set to be very small. She got OK but skinny and then I got more babies.

I started having more problems.

I had three on meds, they would clear up, go off meds, and right back to the liquid poops. Everyone else was doing OK but not great.

I tried every thing except changing the water. It has always been fine. I had to replace my hot water heater and the water was cut off most of one day. I had to go to the local mini market and buy bottled water for formula. I only used it for the time my water was out. It was only 2 feedings. Then swithched back to my usual hot tap water.

Things were still bad. I was to the point of taking all my babies to Anne and giving them up. The person that I am, knew the problem HAD to be ME and I felt I was killing babies. I could not live with that idea.

After reading the thread about problems with Fox Valley again and thinking about it, I went and got the bottled water. It takes extra steps in mixing but I had to try.

I mix the formula with the cold water and slowly heat it in a hot water bath by placing the milk container in a coffee mug of hot water on a drink warmer. I have to shake it from time to time as it warms. I also have to start before they are ready to eat so the formula warms up enough. I really like the warmer because the formula stays warm and does not usually get too hot. This is the first time I have ever used one but when the Christmas sales start and they are in all the stores, I will stock up.

IT WORKED!!! Tummies settled down, and skinny babies chunked up. I did lose one sweet soul, Jason and a tiny unnamed 2 week old girl. I switched too late for those sweet ones.

RIP little ones, Mommy is so sorry. :grouphug

It is just natural spring water but it has made the difference in all my darlings. I have 9 right now. 5 should leave before winter and the last 4 will winter over with me.

It was not me, it was not the Fox Valley, it was the water.

This is a good reason for us ALL not to drink tap water.

island rehabber
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Unless you live in NYC. Ours is supposed to be the best tap water in the country, and I suspect this is why I have zero problems with FV and rarely see diarrhea in my squirrels unless it's from overfeeding.

2skwurlz
09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Would a water filter such as the Brita or Pur ones work? We have tons of chlorine in our water, so much you can smell it in a glass of water. I have been using water from the Pur filter to make formula.