PDA

View Full Version : Is this Malocclusion!?!

scintally
09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I

scintally
09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Mac's teeth are so much longer than his sisters' of the age (7weeks). He does not like the syringe in his mouth and does not take much interest in chewing or teething yet.
117969 117970

In the above post, there are pics of Harmony, Mac's sister of the same age. Her top teeth are just itty bitty stubs but she suckles great, and is chewing and teething on her own.

Is there anything I can do to help or will this fix itself on its own when he begins to teeth. Thanks!

mugzeezma
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Mac's teeth are so much longer than his sisters' of the age (7weeks). He does not like the syringe in his mouth and does not take much interest in chewing or teething yet.
117969 117970

In the above post, there are pics of Harmony, Mac's sister of the same age. Her top teeth are just itty bitty stubs but she suckles great, and is chewing and teething on her own.

Is there anything I can do to help or will this fix itself on its own when he begins to teeth. Thanks!
Overjet ... His uppers are way overshot and long. did you say he isn't chewing?
If that's the cage then you need take the vet to trim them so he can get to work on gnawing.
sorry ... sick kids

island rehabber
09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Agree -- they ar not grinding against each other, which is why they are so long. A good trimming "MAY" correct this situation, but it is likely that it may not. Prepare yourself mentally for this: malocclusion is a death sentence if a squirrel is released, and if kept as a pet the teeth must be trimmed as frequently as every 2 weeks.

Jackie in Tampa
09-21-2010, 06:54 AM
i saw in your other thread where another sq was euthanized due to a maloclusion issue, will you have this one put down also?

scintally
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Almond, my baby, I would have kept in a heartbeat, I had her since 1 week old, she was a single, I put my ALL into her. But due to vet and other recommendations (before I found TSB) telling me there were no options. They said her teeth would just grow into her skull and she would die later and that it would be cruel to keep a wild animal in a cage.

So, no. I would not have another squirrel euthanized after seeing there are so many happy pet squirrels out there. Definitely gone through that guilt already.