PDA

View Full Version : When to let go

netto614
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
So when is the best time to release a little squirrel? Is there anything I need to do to prepare him for the outdoors, sign him up for 'Squirreling 101'? Will he just know how to fend for himself? Also, whats the best type of location? Time of year? Time of day? Will he remember me? Any other tips? Thanks in advance.

Wonkawillie
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow, release is so bitter sweet. But it is necessary. Most squirrels want out at some point. I believe they should be at least 12 weeks old, to begin the process. I never just let them go. I think it is to hard on them unless there is just no other choice.
I have a release cage outside. I begin by putting them in the cage for a few hours each day, to hear the sounds and see the sight of nature. I gradually extened the daily time in the cage until they are outside all day long. When it begins to get dark, the squirrel will want to get in its cozy place for the night. I then bring them in to the smaller indoor cage for the night only. Then I leave them in the release cage day and night ( with a cozy bed ). I still take them in for play time, etc. Then I start the whole process over with a few minutes of supervised play in the trees. Leading up to an hour outside each day. gradually extending the time, til it is unsupervised play time. I still call them and they come to me. I put them in for night time. I do all of this very gradual. Most of them make a nest during outside time and then I wait for nice weather ( no rain) to leave them outside for the night to sleep in the nest they made. I always leave plenty of food and water in the release cage so they can come back to feed for quite some time while learning. Dont forget, now is the time for them to store food for winter, so if they do not get to do that, they may starve. You may have to provide food all winter.
I have done all my squirrel releases this way, and so far, so good. I would not release this way if I had bust streets nearby. To easy for them to get squished. I would take them somewhere safe for release, if I could not do it properly here. or I would probubly turn them over to a rehabber if I felt I could not give them the best chance.
All my released squirrels have returned for quite some time after. I trim the end of the tails so I can pick them out in a group of squirrels! ( just the hair! I blunt it, so I can recognize them from the wilds).
best of luck to you and your squirrly!

Squire
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
So when is the best time to release a little squirrel? Is there anything I need to do to prepare him for the outdoors, sign him up for 'Squirreling 101'? Will he just know how to fend for himself? Also, whats the best type of location? Time of year? Time of day? Will he remember me? Any other tips? Thanks in advance.
yeah I had this same question in mind.

Today I actually had to pry two young squirrels out of this cat's mouth. One got a bloodied lip and the other I managed to rescue unscathed. (thank god!) But now I don't know...do you experienced squirrelers out there think it's okay to release a young squirrel in a completely new location? I'm clueless about this. The two squirrels aren't exactly "infant" squirrels anymore. I honestly can't even tell you how old they are...but I'm going to do some research on it. :D Also I have no clue where the nest may be..

I just know if I do decide to release them in my neighborhood again, that cat will go after them and kill them. In my area especially, (I live on an island), just around my house alone, there live about 20 stray cats that kill the wildlife around here. Every so often I'll see a dead song bird or even a dead fully grown squirrel. I fear for their lives if I release them around here. What should I do?

Hmm..maybe I should have made my own topic, huh? :D