PDA

View Full Version : First time squirrel rescuer...

fallentwins
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Hello all :wave123 .. We are from NW GA and have adopted a set of twin boys... A friend of mine from our church called the other night asking if we wanted 2 babies he found in a tree he had cut down so of course I said sure... One of the three didn't make it.. They took a pretty good fall and the two that remain seem to be in pretty good health.. We have had them for about 5 days now.. From what I have read they about 3 to 4 weeks old.. We are totally new to all this.. And having a blast with it!! My wife was a little standoffish at first but now she is doing all the feeding and loves it.. I think its pretty cool that there is a site like this to help people with fallen squirrels.. I didn't realize it was that common of a find.. :crazy

island rehabber
09-20-2010, 09:45 AM
:Welcome and thank you for rescuing those two babies!
Now, have you ordered your Fox Valley 32/40 yet? It is a MUST. There is a ton of information on proper feeding techniques on this site, but most important is to get the right formula ASAP.

If you don't feel you're up to raising these babies yourself until they are old enough to be released back to the wild, we'll help you find a qualified rehabber. :thumbsup

lilidukes
09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
:Welcome Thanks for taking in those boys. I'm so sorry one didn't make it:grouphug . Best of luck to you.

PDXErik
09-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Ok, shocked that I'm the first for this. (excluding IR's FV info)

www.henryspets.com

Fox Valley 32/40 one bag will do.

Make sure that the enclosure that they are in is covered in half by a heating pad (that doesn't shut off or is tricked to stay on with a timer) set on low.

They need some area that is warm, they don't generate enough of their own heat yet. They also need to be able to move away from it because they also don't regulate their own heat too much, either.

Right now, get some FV 32/40 and some Henry's Healthy Blocks (growth). Keep them away from fruits nuts and all that, it will spoil them for the blocks. Get two bags of the blocks, one of the FV.

Hang a normal rat water bottle. They will eventually get used to it. Not for a bit, but get it in there and get them used to it.

Be prepared for a lot of activity. They're 5-6 weeks now, in one month (4 weeks) they are going to be getting very curious about what is around them.

Buy a small, portable vaccuum. $20 or so from Home Depot. There will be rat poop everywhere in 2 months. Be prepared to have the house 'Squirrel-Proof" Horizontal spaces with interesting stuff need to have valuables stored.

Remember the rules, they are their rules, not your's.

If I see it, it's mine.

If I can pee on it, it's mine.

If I like it, it's mine.

If you don't want me to chew on it, I will find a way.

If you don't want me to pee/poop on it, I will.

When we are out, have paper towels ready. If I sit still for more than 12 seconds, I'm probably peeing.

Reverse psychology does not work, if you offer it to me to chew on and you don't want me to, I still will

Some of these rules were taught to me by the more experienced here, others, I had to learn myself.

Be prepared to be depended on. IMO, that's the best.

They will need a large enclosure as they get closer to being released. And I mean large. I can't stress the large part enough.

Edit: you are a tree, squirrel scratches everywhere. but they're love scratches.

island rehabber
09-21-2010, 06:09 AM
:jump:goodpost:jump

fallentwins
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Ok, shocked that I'm the first for this. (excluding IR's FV info)

www.henryspets.com

Fox Valley 32/40 one bag will do.

Make sure that the enclosure that they are in is covered in half by a heating pad (that doesn't shut off or is tricked to stay on with a timer) set on low.

They need some area that is warm, they don't generate enough of their own heat yet. They also need to be able to move away from it because they also don't regulate their own heat too much, either.

Right now, get some FV 32/40 and some Henry's Healthy Blocks (growth). Keep them away from fruits nuts and all that, it will spoil them for the blocks. Get two bags of the blocks, one of the FV.

Hang a normal rat water bottle. They will eventually get used to it. Not for a bit, but get it in there and get them used to it.

Be prepared for a lot of activity. They're 5-6 weeks now, in one month (4 weeks) they are going to be getting very curious about what is around them.

Buy a small, portable vaccuum. $20 or so from Home Depot. There will be rat poop everywhere in 2 months. Be prepared to have the house 'Squirrel-Proof" Horizontal spaces with interesting stuff need to have valuables stored.

Remember the rules, they are their rules, not your's.

If I see it, it's mine.

If I can pee on it, it's mine.

If I like it, it's mine.

If you don't want me to chew on it, I will find a way.

If you don't want me to pee/poop on it, I will.

When we are out, have paper towels ready. If I sit still for more than 12 seconds, I'm probably peeing.

Reverse psychology does not work, if you offer it to me to chew on and you don't want me to, I still will

Some of these rules were taught to me by the more experienced here, others, I had to learn myself.

Be prepared to be depended on. IMO, that's the best.

They will need a large enclosure as they get closer to being released. And I mean large. I can't stress the large part enough.

Edit: you are a tree, squirrel scratches everywhere. but they're love scratches.

You know the funny thing about all that is with 10 kids and one on the way this post sounds mostly like taking care of kids.. Especially the rules.. :rotfl