PDA

View Full Version : Spanish peanuts?

psychotic feather
09-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Yesterday I was in the grocery store and I found some raw spanish peanuts. These things used to be Ahrlan's favorite when we were living in Spain. So I bought a bag. Ahrlan is in love with them, I was just wondering if they are any good for him. I am only giving him 5 a day. If it were up to him he would eat the entire bag in one sitting. Now I also let Canela try some today and shortly after she started going nuts. No joke :poke Are these things like catnip for chipmunks :dono I left the bag on top of her cage and she hung upside down and chewed a hole in the bag to get more.

jo_schmoe
09-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Yesterday I was in the grocery store and I found some raw spanish peanuts. These things used to be Ahrlan's favorite when we were living in Spain. So I bought a bag. Ahrlan is in love with them, I was just wondering if they are any good for him. I am only giving him 5 a day. If it were up to him he would eat the entire bag in one sitting. Now I also let Canela try some today and shortly after she started going nuts. No joke :poke Are these things like catnip for chipmunks :dono I left the bag on top of her cage and she hung upside down and chewed a hole in the bag to get more.

ok...please dont give them anymore!! Please!! They can carry aflatoxins that will kill them. We just lost our Eclectus parrot because of this same thing!!! Even roasted peanuts can still have traces of aflatoxin in them. The roasring process doesnt always kill it all. We banned any sort of peanut at our pad!!

astra
09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
ok...please dont give them anymore!! Please!! They can carry aflatoxins that will kill them. We just lost our Eclectus parrot because of this same thing!!! Even roasted peanuts can still have traces of aflatoxin in them. The roasring process doesnt always kill it all. We banned any sort of peanut at our pad!!
yes, true... don't even eat them myself anymore (and I used to eat PB by spoonfuls, a 1 lb jar per two days max)... even if it says 'organic', because (besides, that the term itself is not completely standardized across companies/suppliers/industries etc) being 'organic' does not include storage and what happens to peanuts while they are still underground (even if that's an 'organic' kind of soil).