PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel on a ledge

baru
11-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I live in NYC and had a blanket stuck between the bars on my window to the fire escape and the window itself. A squirrel has moved into the blanket and made a little nest. I'm thrilled to have a new friend, but I'm worried that he or she won't make it through the winter as the blanket doesn't provide much shelter and will get wet when it snows or rains.

I want to make a little box for the squirrel in that space and I have two concerns.

1. The dimensions are tight, I've got a six inch width from the window to the bars, with 1/2 inch wood that would give the squirrel about 5 inches, he or she is full grown and it might be a little tight. (Hey it's Manhattan) Is that too little space? I can't really put it on the fire escape itself because if the landlord sees it he might just toss it.

2. If I make this box, I'll have to displace the nest the squirrel has made out of the blanket. I worry that if I make the squirrel box the little guy, or gal, might get spooked off.

What can I do?

Somebody's Mother
11-12-2006, 12:25 PM
would it be possible for you to make a little house and put it next to the nest? see if she would move in there? can you make the little house tall? so maybe it could turn sideways to maneuver around in.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-12-2006, 12:30 PM
sm is right hang it next to the blanket even cutting a piece of the blanket & put inside. Dont know about dimensions only that I believe hole should be 3".
Put some goodies in (nuts pecans, wallnuts) just for extra enticement? :thankyou for wanting to help.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
As stated..put it beside the blanket...their curiosity should do the rest!
I've learned they ain't dumb....they will always take a better , & safer feeling place!

island rehabber
11-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I live in NYC and had a blanket stuck between the bars on my window to the fire escape and the window itself. A squirrel has moved into the blanket and made a little nest. I'm thrilled to have a new friend, but I'm worried that he or she won't make it through the winter as the blanket doesn't provide much shelter and will get wet when it snows or rains.

I want to make a little box for the squirrel in that space and I have two concerns.

1. The dimensions are tight, I've got a six inch width from the window to the bars, with 1/2 inch wood that would give the squirrel about 5 inches, he or she is full grown and it might be a little tight. (Hey it's Manhattan) Is that too little space? I can't really put it on the fire escape itself because if the landlord sees it he might just toss it.

2. If I make this box, I'll have to displace the nest the squirrel has made out of the blanket. I worry that if I make the squirrel box the little guy, or gal, might get spooked off.

What can I do?

Howdy, neighbor, from up here in da Bronx. Yes our urban squirrels are very resourceful and know that space is at a premium around here! I would try to get some type of cover or enclosure over the nest she's already made. The fact that you've discovered her may cause her to leave and build another nest elsewhere, but if not she will have a much better chance of having a warm dry place for the winter if she's got some type of cover. They don't need a lot of space, and I'm sure any old pieces of fleece or old wool socks would be welcome for her to line the box with. :) To save space, if you can find a plastic box that is thinner -- rather than wood -- that would be OK too as long as she has enough warm stuff to line it with. Thanks for caring about her (him?) and please keep us posted!

baru
11-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I had a different thought today which would be to put a large piece of plexiglass over the bars with a little hole by the nest. This would keep out most of the weather -- though not the cold -- and I would add a few pieces of wool fabric for warmth. This way I wouldn't disturb the nest.

Somebody's Mother
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
thanks for caring. that would be an interesting nest box in plexiglass. almost like being outside without the elements.

susanw
11-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I had a different thought today which would be to put a large piece of plexiglass over the bars with a little hole by the nest. This would keep out most of the weather -- though not the cold -- and I would add a few pieces of wool fabric for warmth. This way I wouldn't disturb the nest.

Sounds like a good idea to me, the sun should help warm up the plexiglass if it is out. It's great that you care so much!:wave123