PDA

View Full Version : Feeding at night

2skwurlz
09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi I have 2 boys, I think they are about 5-6 weeks old. I have had them for a week. At the time I found them, they had their eyes open, and belly and feet had hair. They had bottom teeth, I still can't tell about the top ones.

I have been feeding them esbilac every 3-4 hours, and they are eating well. I have been reading around the net, and found a couple of comments that said to feed 6 weeks olds from dawn to dusk, and not feed at night. I assume they say this because they do not feed at night in the wild, but isn't this too young to do this?

Thanks!

CritterMom
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
At 6 weeks, what I started doing was feeding at 10PM and doing another at 4AM when I normally get up anyway. That was only pushing the time between feedings to 5 hours (doing 4 during the day).

Mama squirrel doesn't turn the tap off at night - babies nurse whenever they want to.

mugzeezma
09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi I have 2 boys, I think they are about 5-6 weeks old. I have had them for a week. At the time I found them, they had their eyes open, and belly and feet had hair. They had bottom teeth, I still can't tell about the top ones.

I have been feeding them esbilac every 3-4 hours, and they are eating well. I have been reading around the net, and found a couple of comments that said to feed 6 weeks olds from dawn to dusk, and not feed at night. I assume they say this because they do not feed at night in the wild, but isn't this too young to do this?

Thanks!
No
Get some sleep
Eyes open babies need to start nomping on block or cheerios.
You can soak some block until it falls apart (like tough oatmeal)and pour formula over it. Are you mixing heavy cream into that Esbilac? If not get the Fox Valley 32/40...add the Ultra Boost after a week or so.

2skwurlz
09-18-2010, 11:48 PM
No
Get some sleep
Eyes open babies need to start nomping on block or cheerios.
You can soak some block until it falls apart (like tough oatmeal)and pour formula over it. Are you mixing heavy cream into that Esbilac? If not get the Fox Valley 32/40...add the Ultra Boost after a week or so.I don't mind getting up to feed them. My experience is with puppies, so I'm no stranger to feeding every 2 hours.

I have some Henry's blocks coming, hopefully here on Monday. For now I'm offering them Cheerios. Only one seems remotely interested right now.

Yes, I'm putting a bit of cream in the Esbilac. They didn't have anything else but the big $50 can of Esbilac when I found the boys, so that's what I have.

I just want to do the best by them that I can, so they are in great shape when they are ready to be released.

Ashleynicole
09-19-2010, 08:02 AM
oh im glad i found this post. i was just wondering the same thing. the last two nights i fed wally at 11pm and 5am and he did fine. he has cheerios in has cage now and seems to sleep most of the night.