PDA

View Full Version : looking for a place that I can bring my 1year old to.

LuckyIsHisName
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Hi everyone,:wave123
I'm looking for a place that I can bring my Little girl to, she is 1 year's old now and wants to be out with the others. The only thing is Lucky is very domesticated and her best friend is a Dog. She will come to you and loves to hang out on your leg or what ever she can hang on you too, so we cant even do a soft release. She needs a place in the country that is a petting zoo or a place that takes care of them. I have see places that are the size of barns but they are cages with trees and everything else in them and they keep birds in them, so I was wounding if their was a place like that for Squirrels some were. I will drive as far as I have to just to give her the freedom she wants and deserves. I would keep her here and let her come in and out of the house but I'm afraid she will get hit by a car or something and I couldn't live with that. She is to much like a pet and has been taken care of for so long that I dont think she will make it out in the city on her own or if we let her come and go she will get hit by a car or eaten by a dog.
So we tried to put a harness on her to maybe take her for walks, but that isn't going very well. That's the only thing I can think of is walking her or finding a place that has a bunch of them in a big cage, but it has to be big, the size of a house. That way I know she will be safe and taken care of and never has to worried about getting hit or never coming back cause she got her butt whipped by another squirrel and cant walk or something. So if any one knows of a place or what to do, I'm all open to suggestion.
Sorry about the grammar and spelling, I'm a mechanic not a teacher or writer, so bear with it if you can and just ask if you cant understand it.
Thanks again
:thankyou

Rescue04
09-14-2010, 07:15 AM
I have not heard of any place like that around here, the fact fact that he is friends with a dog bothers me on a release basis. We have a resident NR and he is happy in the cage we made him. The cage is 2 X 4 X 3, he comes out regularly during the day on us and likes to go on the back porch with us. His cage is also next to our front window where he can look outside, he has never tried to run, he seems content living with us. You can try to contact Mary Jane at the haven and see if she knows of any place like that. Just keep in mind she may be friendly with you, but she may not be so tame with others.

LuckyIsHisName
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks,
Lucky has her own room after she didn't want to stay in her cage and that was 4ft tall 4ft wide and 4ft deep, HUGE! I had to build it in panels and put it together in the room cause it wouldn't fit thru the doors.
So now we have screen doors on the room and put trees, dirt box and things hanging from the ceiling. She has built a house in the biggest fake tree and we put a nest box in the real tree. The room looks like the back yard and its alot of work cleaning every Saturday, (thank God Jackie Cleans It):jump
She loved the room for a long time, now she does this thing were she will jump in the window look for a minute then run upstairs into our bedroom under our bed and back down the stairs and back in the window. She will do it over and over again. So everyone that I have asked in the room says she wants out, she wants the trees, she wants to run and play (that's why the room has real trees in it now). We have tried everything possible to make he happy and try to get her out of this thing she does. Now she was doing it a different way in the house, but the same thing into the living room around the couch in the front window and then back in her room.
We have run out of ideas, we have tried to walk her but the harness made her freek out when we put in on her. So now we have came to the point were we need to let her run in the trees and outdoors.
But winter is here and we live in the city and their is already a bunch of squirrels around here so they might not accept her and she isn't a fighter. She dont know what cars are, so she might get hit by the ones passing, also we have other dogs in the neighborhood and her best friend is a Mini Pincher dog.
So a soft release around her out of the question with us. But if their was a zoo that would take her or a place that has a bunch of squirrels that they feed everyday and take care of like she will need until she figures out everything, but its gonna take some time and she will need to be in a house at night and feed until she can find food on her own.
She will need some extra help and a really soft soft soft release.
So that's we we stand, any help would be nice.:thankyou

Rescue04
09-14-2010, 10:03 AM
One thing to keep in mind, this is mating season and she is probably in heat. During this time Leroy gets a little.....ansy, but after a couple of months he calms down. We had one of mywife's friends get thier little boy fixed - A BAD MOVE - her husband took him there and he has had a grudge ever since! What she is doing is normal from what it sounds like, but like I said you can get ahold of Mary Jane and get her thoughts on it. Her information is on our link.

Jackie in Tampa
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
yes I agree with 'she maybe in heat'''and just needs time to get thru it.
.AND..maybe she is wilding up..?
I would not rush at this time...allow her to show you what she really wants.
I have never heard of such a place as you have described...
I will say...all city sqs are at a daily risk with domestic pets and cars...and preditor birds...
In the woods it's no different, no cars but more preditors...
No Place is safe for a sq...

99% of sqs wild up, very few wish to remain captive.
This is soooo why it is advised to never ever never let your domestics and your rehabs meet...but most people are not aware of WHAT WILDING UP MEANS when they first find a baby sq...most finders allow the interaction, thinking it's cute...

In Plant City is Lovely Lita's Sheltering Tree...I have benn told the sanctuary is having financial issues as we all are...but if ever a wonderful sq haven, it would be there for our area.
There is a web site in connection with the place...

I feel for all involved...Lucky sounds like she has a wonderful home...I hope she gets thru the rough time and remains your sweet buddy sq!:Love_Icon

LuckyIsHisName
09-15-2010, 06:28 AM
This place is the best!!!!!
Thank you all and I wish only the best for you all. Any one that takes as much time out of their day as we do for a little animals are the best people in this world. I have had alot of people tell me to just open your door and let it go, they cant even call her by her name. They just dont understand or they just dont care for anything but themselves.
So thanks for all your info, we thought she might be in heat since she is peeing everywhere marking her spots, she would never do that before, it was always in the same corner of her room.
I'm going to get holed of the person you said and ask her.
Thanks again!!!:thankyou :grouphug :thumbsup :)