PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Sq. Friendly Vets in Texas

Rainy9
09-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Hello out there to all the past and present Texas Squammys! :wave123

I've got a pair of 4-5 week old fox squirrels and I'm hoping to find a squirrel friendly vet that I can take them to for a check up or emergencies.

If anyone has been able to find a vet that is welcoming to squirrels, I'd love to know about it! I'm afraid of attempting taking them to either of the two vets in my town without knowing ahead of time if they will accept squirrels or not. Kinda worried about the legalities and such.

I live in east Texas(north east tx???), about two in a half hours north of Houston. I'm in Houston county if that helps. I'd be willing to drive up to 2 hours away in any direction to get to the vet....maybe more if the situation was dire and nothing else was closer.

So, if you've got a nice vet, I'd love to know about it! Name of buissness, location/address or phone number.....any or all would be great!

Take care everyone!:grouphug

Your Texas Squammy neighbor,
Rainy

Jackie in Tampa
09-10-2010, 11:16 AM
hate to tell you this...but a texas member drove all the way to Tampa to see one of my vets...
:sanp3
I have heard if a rehabber accompanies the sq, vets will see them...
if you cannot find a vet...try a rehabber!
Good Luck...
very wise to think ahead!:alright.gif
ya know what they say, GirlScouts are prepared!:D

lookmomchickens
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
As a Texas squammy, vets are near impossible to find unless you are a a licensed rehabber, even then it's almost like pulling teeth & strings to get them to see you...

If you ever have an emergency, please let us on TSB know... I'm in Houston, and I'll PM you my number just in case you ever have one and we can try to figure something out. But hopefully, we don't have any emergencies!

Jessica

momma2boo
09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
hate to tell you this...but a texas member drove all the way to Tampa to see one of my vets...
Good Luck...

Wow ... too bad they hadn't been told about Dr E in North-Central Florida ... could've saved themselves all those extra miles/hours on the road.

Rainy9
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Good Luck...

WOWWWWWWWWWWW! Just wowww! Thats quite a drive! The TWRC gave me the number of a guy in my town that rehabs. I might just give him a call. With him, I might be able to go to the vet in my own town. :wott

Thanks everyone for the heads up on how the vet thing works. I think if I hadn't found this forum, I would have walked into the vet not even knowing about the...eh..."illegal-ness" of it all. I don't like saying that word in regards to squirrels. It just seems wrong!