PDA

View Full Version : squirrel in need

Wonkawillie
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I did not want to post this in the "help needed", as it is really just a squirrel story that happened to me.
One day I took my boys to the skateboard park. There was some attention on the concrete skateboard 'bowl". This is basicly and empty in ground pool that the kids " drop in" to skate. Sure enough, there was a squirrel in the bowl!! being a rehabber and passionate about squirrels, i kind of took action. There was a teenager there, who told me the squirrel had been in there over a week! he was hanging his sweatshirt into the bowl, so the squirrel could attempt to jump to it and get out. The squirrel was already weak from lack of food and water, but was also afraid of the boys human smell on the shirt. I walked a long way to get to the edge of the park to scout for a branch long enough to make a squirrel ladder. I found one, but it was huge. Dragged it all the way there. this tough looking teenager then knew that he was not gonna mess with me!LOL Anyway...the squirrel was able to get out, and zipped up a nearby tree, that was loaded with maple helicopter seeds.
It makes me a bit sick to think about all the squirrels that must fall into that thing! It is rather dangerous for any wildlife or pets. certainly in the winter is it more of a risk, as the kids do not use it daily and noone even looks in there in winter.

mugzeezma
09-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I did not want to post this in the "help needed", as it is really just a squirrel story that happened to me.
One day I took my boys to the skateboard park. There was some attention on the concrete skateboard 'bowl". This is basicly and empty in ground pool that the kids " drop in" to skate. Sure enough, there was a squirrel in the bowl!! being a rehabber and passionate about squirrels, i kind of took action. There was a teenager there, who told me the squirrel had been in there over a week! he was hanging his sweatshirt into the bowl, so the squirrel could attempt to jump to it and get out. The squirrel was already weak from lack of food and water, but was also afraid of the boys human smell on the shirt. I walked a long way to get to the edge of the park to scout for a branch long enough to make a squirrel ladder. I found one, but it was huge. Dragged it all the way there. this tough looking teenager then knew that he was not gonna mess with me!LOL Anyway...the squirrel was able to get out, and zipped up a nearby tree, that was loaded with maple helicopter seeds.
It makes me a bit sick to think about all the squirrels that must fall into that thing! It is rather dangerous for any wildlife or pets. certainly in the winter is it more of a risk, as the kids do not use it daily and noone even looks in there in winter.
YOU ARE A HERO !!!!:alright.gif

SquirrelsinSingapore
10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
You did the right thing

:thumbsup

little susie
10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
:wott :thumbsup

Chickenlegs
10-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I can't believe people left the little guy there and didn't put something in to help him get out. Maybe a strip of hardware cloth should be dropped in over the winter. A wild squirrel isn't going to let a human just pick him up--no matter how good the intentions are.

Baby Squirrel Lover
10-29-2010, 12:40 AM
:thumbsup