PDA

View Full Version : How do I save my "blocks"???

sqwrlgrl
09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I was in the middle of making the healthy blocks recipe and got interrupted for a while.

I had the first round baking but had not finished kneading and molding the second one and it sat out for a long while.

When I got back to the mix it was very crumbly and hard to form the logs.
I got them together though and baked them.

When done baking I touched one and it literrally crumbled.
I let the logs cool off and put them in a container in a fridge.

I'm trying to think of a way to salvage it as it's a months worth of blocks.

Any ideas how to still use it or how to bind the crumbs so my squirrel can still eat it?

I see some of you give your squirrels things like yogurt that it could be mixed with but mine won't eat anything soft and squishy. She likeds to pick up the food chunk and takes it to her snacky spot.

I welcome all ideas no matter how far-fetched!!!

Ronda
09-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Try making balls from them
grind the blocks stuff into powder and mix in just enough baby food fruit to moisten it so that you can form it into small balls... store these in the freezer

This idea is from the recipe for "Boo Balls" .. which is the same idea, but with dry fox valley formula mixed in

I have made both the Boo Balls and the recipe with blocks and fruit only... my squirrel loves both - and she likes to eat them frozen

sqwrlgrl
09-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks Ronda!
I don't really need to grind anything, the whole thing just crumbles with one touch!!
I will try this method and see if I can salvage the batch.
Do you think regular applesauce will work or is there something special about baby food?
I have all natural applesacue (no sugar or anything added).
I guess I can just try making a few and see the results...:thumbsup

Ronda
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I see no reason that regular applesauce would not work... I used baby food because I could buy it in small portions and change up flavors. I am not mixing dry formula into mine anymore because I am trying to not give her too much fortified foods at once.. so she does not over dose on the vitamins and minerals. I hope these work out for you.. and that your squirrel likes them!