PDA

View Full Version : New to the thread, 4 week old Gray squirrel

Ehelms
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello all. About two weeks ago I found an orphaned baby gray squirrel. He was about two weeks old at that time and I have been caring for him ever since. I feed him every 4 hours esbilac powder mixed with water and he is doing great! His tail is starting to fluff and he has fur all over. His eyes have yet to open, but from what I have read they should very soon. He is peeing very well whenever stimulated, but I was wondering how often he should be pooping. He poops just about every other feeding when I stimulate. Is this normal?
Thanks for any advice/suggestions! I'll include a picture! I call him "Skeeter" :)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8g3dq62Mt1qzrxzqo1_500.jpg

Wonkawillie
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I sent you a private message. Log into your squirrel board account and you will see it.
Your baby might need to be eating a bit more. Poop every other feeding is a bit lacking.
Switch to fox valley. I hear way to many horror stories with the formula change to esbilac.
Best of luck

Ronda
09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Welcome to TSB! You will find lots of great advice here for raising a healthy squirrel, and yours is a real cutie-I love that fuzzy little tail.

psychobird
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
yes switch to fox valley asap,(esbilac kills) and your little one will plump up nicely.
i wouldn't worry too much if he doesn't poop every time as long as it's not diarrhea

Ehelms
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Hey thanks guys for the quick responses. Where is the best place to buy fox valley? I am willing to take care of the little guy and willing to pay for the right supplies, I was just going on the information that I found before finding this forum.
Wonka: Any place to buy the fox valley in the Amherst area? Or do I have to get it online?

Thanks again for all the support!

psychobird
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
you have to get it online, call nick and have him overnight it
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp

taz42018
09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
:Welcome You can also get it from http://henryspets.com/ too, that is where I ordered from $5.99 shipping you cant beat it. Your baby will definitely plump up, mine looked like yours when they were on Hartz formula. It kept them alive but now that they are on Fox Valley they are really filling out and looking healthy.

taz42018
09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh and I diluted it 1 : 2.5 when switching, it has worked for us. Alos for anyone reading this do you have any advice on the best way to mix FV, I just can't seem to mix it properly it always come out lumpy or bubbly.

psychobird
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
warm the water that helps with the lumps

psychobird
09-09-2010, 04:36 PM
oh and letting it rest in the fridge for at least a few hours before feeding, if your mixing larger amounts for multiples, chris squirrels and more has great mixing containers that have a little whisk ball in it, i love mine

SquirrelsinSingapore
09-18-2010, 10:39 AM
hello Skeeter

Wonkawillie
09-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I was wondering how your Skeeter was doing? Any new pics?????