PDA

View Full Version : Baby carrots warning

NaturesGift
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
dont know how sure this is but im being safe!

From the Department of Life Education:

Baby Carrots:

The following is information from a farmer who grows and packages carrots for IGA, METRO, LOBLAWS, etc.

The small cocktail (baby) carrots you buy in small plastic bags are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots - most people probably know this already.

What you may not know and should know is the following:
Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool).

Since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine.

You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots. This is the chlorine which resurfaces. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables?

Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer. I thought this was worth passing on. Pass it on to as many people as possible in hopes of informing them where these carrots come from and how they are processed.

I used to buy those baby carrots for vegetable dips. I know that I will never buy them again!!!!

Confirmed by Snopes:

1. snopes.com: Baby Carrots ••••
Are baby carrots made from deformed full-sized carrots that have been soaked in chlorine?
...Carrot and Shtick Claim: Baby carrots are made from deformed full-sized carrots that have been permeated with chlorine. Example: [Collected via....
...carrots that you buy in grocery stores come from deformed crooked big carrots. They are put through a machine to become small cocktail carrots. This part...
....I think after reading this we will all start making our own carrot sticks out of fresh carrots and keep them in the fridge (a few at a time), right?...
Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:42:31 GMT http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

lilidukes
09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
WOW thanks for the info:thankyou

RiverRock
09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
well if you read the whole snopes page it looks like the carrots are just fine. Some truth and some false things about this claim.

Skul
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
The only issue that may arise from carrots, is vitamin "A" overload.
Just feed sparingly.

crazysquirrels
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
NO more for me and Talula. Thanks for the info.

astra
09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
:thumbsup Thanks for posting this NG! I've known this fact, but it is always good to hear it being confirmed from someone else.
I don't remember it exactly right now (I must be very sleep deprived ), but there are few other food items that undergo the same/similar processing...definitely, poultry, but something else (can't think of it now).

mugzeezma
09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
:thumbsup Thanks for posting this NG! I've known this fact, but it is always good to hear it being confirmed from someone else.
I don't remember it exactly right now (I must be very sleep deprived ), but there are few other food items that undergo the same/similar processing...definitely, poultry, but something else (can't think of it now).

If you read the entire article this is debunked
Actually washing in chlorine isn't so bad. It dissipates quickly and becomes a gas. I object when they use it to 'freshen' old fish. It removes the fishy odor but the flesh inside is still old and funky ....blech

momma2boo
09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Actually washing in chlorine isn't so bad. It dissipates quickly and becomes a gas. I object when they use it to 'freshen' old fish. It removes the fishy odor but the flesh inside is still old and funky ....blech

My family (parents) owned a fish market. We never did such a thing but we knew plenty of places that did. Gross!

astra
09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I've read it from different sources, not this article. Even basic chemistry information about chlorine shows that it cannot be good for health (it's neither a beneficial mineral, nor a vitamin, nor any substance that's intended for consumption, hence has no place inside).
Some very brief info about it:
The health effects of chlorine are primarily due to its corrosive properties. The strong oxidizing effects of chlorine cause hydrogen to split from water in moist tissue, resulting in the release of nascent oxygen and hydrogen chloride which produce corrosive tissue damage. The oxidation of chlorine may also form hypochlorous acid, which will penetrate cells and react with cytoplasmic proteins to destroy cell structure.

Chlorine is used in many more areas than those, who use it, are willing to admit. It's not innocuous. Regularly accumulating gas in GI tract eventually will be harmful (for instance, excessive constant gas disrupts proper digestion and elimination processes. Anything that disrupts proper digestion on a regular basis leads to malabsorption, among other things. Malabsorption leads to nutrient deficiencies etc etc etc).
Or, another example - chlorine is used as a disinfectant, which means it can easily disrupt and ruin gut flora (and we know what results from that).

Chlorine was the first poison gas used as a weapon in WWI (wouldn't want that inside of me, personally;-)).

If there is such thing as chlorine poisoning, it already implies that it better not be ingested.

Chlorine is slightly water soluble, and much denser than air - this might suggest that it's not readily, or easily eliminated from our bodies.

It's corrosive power is impressive. If a ordinary sheet of cotton fabric (e.g., bed spread sheets) washed in chlorine fairly regularly, it will turn into a rag pretty soon. Our soft tissues lining our GI tract are much more delicate than a cotton bed spread sheet. One wouldn't want to expose that to chlorine (even small amounts, such as in baby carrots in this case, will work in "cumulative effect" and end up eroding/damaging GI tract internal organs. For people with very strong GIs this may result in a relatively mild GI discomfort, for those with weaker GIs this may mean ulcers, a variety of gastric problems and so on).
If there is a way to avoid it, I'd rather will ;-).

astra
09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I've read it from different sources, not this article. Even basic chemistry information about chlorine shows that it cannot be good for health (it's neither a beneficial mineral, nor a vitamin, nor any substance that's intended for consumption, hence has no place inside).
Some very brief info about it:
The health effects of chlorine are primarily due to its corrosive properties. The strong oxidizing effects of chlorine cause hydrogen to split from water in moist tissue, resulting in the release of nascent oxygen and hydrogen chloride which produce corrosive tissue damage. The oxidation of chlorine may also form hypochlorous acid, which will penetrate cells and react with cytoplasmic proteins to destroy cell structure.

Chlorine is used in many more areas than those, who use it, are willing to admit. It's not innocuous. Regularly accumulating gas in GI tract eventually will be harmful (for instance, excessive constant gas disrupts proper digestion and elimination processes. Anything that disrupts proper digestion on a regular basis leads to malabsorption, among other things. Malabsorption leads to nutrient deficiencies etc etc etc).
Or, another example - chlorine is used as a disinfectant, which means it can easily disrupt and ruin gut flora (and we know what results from that).

Chlorine was the first poison gas used as a weapon in WWI (wouldn't want that inside of me, personally;-)).

If there is such thing as chlorine poisoning, it already implies that it better not be ingested.

Chlorine is slightly water soluble, and much denser than air - this might suggest that it's not readily, or easily eliminated from our bodies.

It's corrosive power is impressive. If a ordinary sheet of cotton fabric (e.g., bed spread sheets) washed in chlorine fairly regularly, it will turn into a rag pretty soon. Our soft tissues lining our GI tract are much more delicate than a cotton bed spread sheet. One wouldn't want to expose that to chlorine (even small amounts, such as in baby carrots in this case, will work in "cumulative effect" and end up eroding/damaging GI tract internal organs. For people with very strong GIs this may result in a relatively mild GI discomfort, for those with weaker GIs this may mean ulcers, a variety of gastric problems and so on).
If there is a way to avoid it, I'd rather will ;-).

P.S. Recalled a bit more chemistry here: no one really knows just what else is added to our food and just what else they use to process it, but we all know that there are chemical additives of sorts, pesticides, nitrates, preservatives and so on, and so forth. Add to this the air we breath (which is pretty bad, especially, in cities). If one recalls basic chemistry, it is clear that chemical elements do not exist in isolation, most of them interact with each other in various ways. One of the problems with today's nutrition (not just chlorine) is that no one knows, or, rather, no one reveals how these additives/chemicals/whatnot interact once they "meet" in our organism).
Anyways, "when in doubt, I'd rather do without", personally;-).

RiverRock
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
we are all gonna die of somthing..LOL I doute there is enough in the carots to do any harm..how many of us eat pounds of carrots every day?

Madamelipstick
05-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I only choose baby carrots cause that is what we eat. My grandmother is a vegetarian and I only do fish and chicken. So we have lots of veggies. Grandma prefers the baby size because she says it is easier for her to eat. No other reason. So much of what we eat they are not advised to eat. So now when I make her meals I also make the boys. I am getting ready to tape the food list to the fridge. Just about the time I think I got it I realize I dont lol. Last night me and Fenwick went round and round because he wanted my salad instead of his. I tried to tell him the only difference was the dressing he argued.I said ok so mine has some cheese, garbanzo beans and croutons. He said, that is exactly what I was saying. How about beans can they have they? lol I love my boys. I only want what is good for them.

Rhapsody
05-03-2014, 09:57 AM
well if you read the whole snopes page it looks like the carrots are just fine.
Some truth and some false things about this claim.I always check things against SNOPES!!

"Baby-cut" versions are not now made from imperfect larger carrots, although the motivation for the invention of this product was a desire to find a use for standard-sized carrots that otherwise would have to have been discarded. The carrots now used to make "baby-cut carrots" have been specially bred to contain more sugar than their standard-sized cousins because this extra sweetness appeals more strongly to children. Likewise, their bright orange color has also been
bred into them, as has the evenness of that color all the way through the root.

According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the use of chlorine as an antimicrobial treatment is a current accepted practice in the processing for all fresh-cut ready-to-eat vegetables (see Section 4.4). As for the "white film" the e-mailed alert claims is the "chlorine coming to the surface," that white blush is caused by dehydration of the cut surface — were you to pull a carrot from your own garden, slice it in half and place it in your refrigerator, it too would manifest that same whitish appearance on the cut portion once the carrot dried out a bit. Cocktail carrots are more prone to develop this only because their entire surface area is a cut surface. To keep cocktail carrots from drying out, store them at low temperature and in a high relative humidity environment.

grampyngramy
05-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I am sorry. I thought everyone knew this. We stopped using them at least 2 years ago.

LeilaNami
05-05-2014, 10:01 AM
You ingest more chlorine from your tap water than you would ever ingest from baby carrots.

I personally don't see why the majority of people that buy baby carrots don't just buy regular ones anyway. They taste the exact same to me (despite the claim) and the baby carrots are 5x more expensive lol.