PDA

View Full Version : formal introduction

treetopmom
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Hello! I wanted to introduce myself properly, since I had to post about an injury last night, and hadn`t even said hi before asking for help. I recently became a squirrel mommy to two little boys. Apparently, a limb had fallen thru the nest, and these little guys survived a 60-75ft fall. Although neither was bleeding, or appeared to have external injuries, I figured both had internal injuries, and wouldn`t make it more than a few hours. But I didn`t want them to pass that way, alone and cold, so I brought them in. After getting them warm, I started the pedalyte, and waited. Well, to my surprise both made it thru the night and were doing well. I ordered from FV, did the goats milk until it arrived, and began educating myself on all things squirrely. One baby is doing wonderful. No problems what so ever, other than he considers it a big invasion of privacy to be stimulated to pee. He curls up in a tight ball, blocking all his "boy" parts. So, I just have to wait until he uncurls to do the job. My other little guy is doing great, considering. (see; injured baby thread) Both are gaining weight, active, and very loved.
I am not a rehabber, but not completely inexperienced either. I have had limited vet assistant training, and worked with, cared for and treated animals for over 25yrs. I have experience with many different species, both small and large, and everything in between. I know that each species have their own special needs and unique challenges. And although these are my first squirrel babies, some things are generic, such as how to feed correctly so they do not aspirate, stimulation to eliminate, and small babies must be kept warm as they can`t maintain their body temp. So, when I found these guys, I felt comfortable and capable of helping them. I knew of rehabbers, but had no idea it was illegal to raise and release myself, until I made a few phone calls. By then, I was simply to attached. I realized I needed information, as I was pretty sure walmart didn`t sell baby squirrel formula, so I started searching, and found TSB.
Since then, I`ve been reading everything I could about squirrels. There is alot of great advice and help on here! I`ve had my boys 6 days, or I should say, they`ve had me. I knew when I committed to raising them, it would be not always be easy. It is very demanding to have such little babies. Nighttime feedings alone, wear you out. And of course, as they get older, there are more challenges to overcome. But I feel very blessed to have this opportunity to help these little guys, and eventually watch them in the nearby trees after they are released. I always find it amazing how something so small, can wriggle into your heart so quickly.
I`m grateful I found TSB, as I`m sure I will have questions, need advice, etc. It`s also nice to know other people share the same love of animals as I do. I`ll try to post pictures soon of my boys.

mpetys
09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi treetopmom. I just read your post about the baby you have concerns about. I do hope he is okay or that you can find help for him. Hopefully when you can post a picture of him, that may help. I am glad you found this board. I found it back in January when I had four babies that I became responsible for. I have learned so much from all these wonderful people. I am currently caring for three new babies and still refer to this board for help. I just went through my first episode with botflies, YUCK!!

Oh, you will find out that everyone here loves pictures! So looking forward to seeing both of your babies.

Michele in Tampa

Ultra Peepi
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello!:Welcome thank you for caring for these little ones. This is a great place, you'll love it!