PDA

View Full Version : Found a Baby Squirrel and need help

Caphernin
09-06-2010, 07:44 PM
HI! I recently found a baby squirrel about 5 weeks old. I found him at 11:00 at night and he was dragging his leg and he was sneezing up blood. We quickly warmed him and fed him some pedylite to rehydrate him. I contacted MA. Wildlife and left a message but no one got back to me after several messages. I tried calling other places such as MA. Audubon and Tuft's hospital and they explained that because squirrel's were rats I should just let him die. The next day I planned to put him near the tree that he fell out of but the owner of the home informed me that he had killed the mother and would also shoot the baby because he didn't want them in his yard.After the first night he stopped sneezing up blood and could walk normally. I have now had him 6 days and he his doing pretty well. I have been giving him esbilac formula which he loves. He is urinating and pooping but his stool ranges from brown "turds" to yellowish diarrhea. He just opened his eyes yesterday so he has been a little more adventurous but for the most part he just eats and sleeps. What concerns me is that is belly has become pretty round and I am concerned that this is not normal. As much as I love him and would love to raise him I do not feel confident that I could raise him effectively and want to find somewhere for him to go. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

JLM27
09-06-2010, 08:26 PM
What a moron to just shoot the squirrels because he didn't want them in his yard. That is revolting behavior. Thank God this baby has you to keep him alive until you can find him a more permanent arrangement. I am amazed that you got those kind of answers from Tufts. Everyone speaks highly of their attitude toward squirrels. That is truly puzzling why someone from Tufts would say that. I called their wildlife hospital myself over an injured baby and they were very welcoming. I think someone will be able to get on here and give you some wildlife rehabbers in MA. Meanwhile, do not post your address or phone number because there are busybodies out there that might call wildlife control and report that you have a squirrel (it's illegal in MA unless you have a permit or a rehabber license). Hang on until we can get you help.

Caphernin
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I know I was really upset to find out that the man had killed the mom and was going to do the same to the baby. Some people are truly horrible! But I was also surprised by tuft's because they have helped me with other animals as well and I thought of calling back because the woman was so rude. I was wondering if she just gave me bad advice and that I could speak to someone else. Unfortunately it is the holiday weekend so it has been difficult to get help because right now this isn't an emergency situation. But thank you for your advice I appreciate it!

Legomom
09-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Give Christina Clark a call. I know she's in CT, but she may know of someone closer to you or perhaps you could arrange to meet somewhere. She is a licensed rehabber & owner of Chris's Squirrels & More (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm).

Christina Clark
Chris's Squirrels & More, LLC
P.O. Box 365
Somers CT, 06071
Phone: (860) 749-1129
Toll Free: (877) 717-7748

rozdow
09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
If he is bloated (large belly) you may need to give him a warm water "bath:" & massage. Also, baby gas drops might help. I live in SE CT if you need help (don't know where natick is).

rozdow
09-07-2010, 06:28 AM
By the way, has anyone told the idiot neighbor that if he creates an animal "vaccum" on his property, more will move in?? Is it even legal for him to be killing off wildlife?

Wonkawillie
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
By the way, keep your eyes out for siblings. If the momma was killed, then this baby fell due to it crawling out of the nest in despiration for food. You may find others.

Wonkawillie
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I could take the baby. I sent you a personal message.
I have loads of experiance and would love to fill my squirrel empty nest syndrom. Check your private messages. I have all supplies on hand and waiting for fall babies

Caphernin
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it. I contacted Tuft's again and they gave me three numbers but I was informed that all three locations were overbooked so they couldn't take him. Right now I am really trying to focus on keeping him healthy and I am concerned because I am getting so many conflicting answers on what to feed him and how often. LIke I said before his stomach is kind of bloated which concerns me. I tried the warm bath and the massaging but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm not sure if it is bloating or if he has just put weight on. Either way he is doing all right but I would like to find a home for him. Wonka( sorry if I messed up your name but I am doing this on my phone so I couldn't look back) I am interested in giving him to you but I don't know when I could get him there because I go to school in Boston from 8am until 9pm so my schedule is pretty crazy right now. I think he is in good enough health that he could wait until the weekend but I wouldn't be able to drop him off until Sunday anyways because I have a retreat that I have to go to. I will keep you up to date and let you know when I have made a decision. Again thanks for all your help!

Wonkawillie
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I will gladly take the baby.
I am worried with you being at school for so long. Do you have the baby with you? This baby can not possibly only be eating every 12 hours?
Should eat every 3-4 hours at most for the age you mentioned ( eyes just opened). After you feed this baby, it will have a full belly. If you go too long between feedings the baby will be super hungry and eat too much, to fast. You dont want to cause bloating, or the deadly aspiration.
Then you have something to do on Saturday? How will you feed this baby?
I can meet you after 9PM, if you had to travel late. How about a friend who may travel this way ( central mass), or possible to UMASS. I could meet them?
lets figure something out, as I am a bit worried. I know you are doing your best, and I appreciate what you are doing for this baby.
I could meet you at the palmer turnpike entrance. This is exit 8, mass pike. One hour from Boston center.
You let me know ASAP. Squirrels are a lot of care for a full time student. very soon this baby will need lots of time out of the cage. I am ready and waiting.
be careful of vet hospitals, they may put the squirrel to sleep.
I have heard the same thing about a lot of rehabbers. They are full and can not take them.

Caphernin
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
No he isn't going all day without feedings, I am only 20 and still live at home so while I am at school the squirrel is being cared for by my parents and sisters. We have been feeding him every 4 hours including nights. I can see if someone would be willing to drive him to you but honestly my family wants to keep him and not give him up. I would like this too but I'm just worried about not giving him the quality care he needs.

Wonkawillie
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh good. I am glad that someone is home for this baby during the day. I feel better now.
I have always used Esbilac with great luck, but I hear the formula has changed and will cause trouble. Since this warning, I have switched to Fox Valley formula.
If you plan to keep him, then I would consider the switch to Fox Valley.
If you need help, just email me personally through this message board and I can give you a phone number to reach me.
Best of luck to you and your little one.

Ultra Peepi
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Good luck with this baby and hello.:Welcome
You're in good company here, lots of help and advice to be found.:thumbsup

island rehabber
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I am very concerned about this baby, because we have lost SO MANY this summer to "well-meaning" families and inexperienced folks who simply can't part with that cute little squirrel. Unfortunately, selfishness often trumps good sense and it's the baby squirrel who pays.

Yes I'm being a downer but you know what? It needed to be said.