PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be here! But alas a sad question.

leadman83
09-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone, my name is David. Im in New York and recently fell in love with a baby squirrel.

My girlfriend and I were about to go into a friend's house when we saw a cat and very small squirrel running around together in the yard across the street. We first thought it was play for both of them, but the cat began to hurt the small squirrel and it began screaming. We went over, pushed the cat off and with my shirt I picked it up. It's eyes were open and it was basically fully fured with a tail over its back that was in mid puffiness compared to an adult. With some research we concluded it to be around 7-8 weeks old. I took it across the street, near a tree where it could hopefully climb back to where it came. However, when I let it go it ran back to me, hopped on my shoe, and began suckling my leg. At this point we knew it was not going to survive out there with an eager cat staring us down across the street. The squirrel had no wounds surprisingly, no blood, just a bit wet and shellshocked from its feline encounter. We warmed it up immediately and got it dry.

We bought a medicine dropper, pedialyte for rehydration, and esbilac powdered puppy milk replacer. I followed every step in its preparation from this and related sites. The Squirrel immediately took to me as its mother and all it wanted to do was curl up between my arm and stomach when not trying to feed. That first day we just rehydrated it and also involved a pinch of squash baby food with it ate happily off a spoon to add something more than just pedialyte from the dropper. We used to own rats and had a cage on standby which I modified for a tree dwelling animal, adding branches and using the shirt I saved it in as a nest with a warm deep cavity for it to nuzzle up in.

On the first day, it would make a loud screaching cry if one of us were not holding it. When trying to go to sleep, we heard it run around the cage, make a frustrated series of little noises, then after a moment of silence, that loud piercing cry again. I took it out and let it sleep on my stomach that first night, no more cries and fast sleep the little baby was. I however, did not sleep much for fear of losing or crushing it.

The second day we gradually introduced the puppy milk, 25% esbilac 75% pedialyte the first feeding, 50% 50% the second feeding and 75% 25% the third feeding. It ate 5 to 10 CC's eagerly each feeding and seemed perfectly healthy. By the end of the day it had its first full esbilac meal "which was 2 parts water from an original 1 part powder". I made sure to prepare it right, letting it sit in the fridge the night before to allow any solids to break down into liquid. I served the food just warmer than room temperature.

It's affection was amazing, and it melted with happiness when we were petting/holding it, which we tried to do as much as possible to keep it stimulated. It pooped twice when we first got it, and only urinated the next day, though it did urinate often. It would hold onto the bars to come out, and jump on my arm whenever I put it in there.

So we fed it 4 times that second day, and went out for few hours to meet family that evening. When we came home the squirrel was sleepy, as it was late. I took it out and let it sleep on us for a few hours. At some point overnight I put it back in its nest where it curled right back up to sleep. When I woke up I noticed it was out of its nest and had died not too much earlier. It's very upsetting as I was really hoping to save and perhaps adopt it. When feeding it would sometimes eat/drink too much too fast and spit up a few drops or make a sneeze, but it always seemed fine right after and would even want to eat more.

This was my first time dealing with a young squirrel, but I tried to do everything right. Basically, what went wrong? Why did my baby squirrel die? It was clean and healthy looking, I wonder what other factors may have been at play. These animals are amazing, Im just sorry my experience with little little fur ball was cut so short. Something about it crying to me for my presence gave me an especially strong feeling of connection to this animal. I really wish it was still here.

Anyway, Im glad I found you folks. Any feedback, advice, and opinions are more than welcome and highly appreciated.

CritterMom
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Your biggest problem was the cat. Cats have filthy mouths full of nasty bacteria, and the rule of thumb is if a cat has TOUCHED it (or a dog), even if there are no apparent signs of wounds, the baby is immediately put on meds. The chances are enormous that your baby died of infection from the cat bite.

They will grab your heart like a vise...

leadman83
09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you very much, this at least brings some sense of closure.

It appears that owning a squirrel in NY state is legal. I love rats but the fact that they die so young means that just as they are getting closest to you, they expire.

Im aware that squirrels are wild animals, but if I put effort to make a large enclosure from wood and chicken wire, with well spaced branches and dwelling areas, could a young hand raised squirrel be satisfied with a domestic lifestyle? Perhaps a pair for company? Or is this a bad idea in general?

I believe my squirrel was an eastern grey squirrel. We own a cat which is friendly to rats, but we kept it away from the squirrel since we knew that if it was to ever be released, it must not be acclimated to an animal that would kill it in the wild. If we did keep one however, this cat has found rats that escaped from their cage to simply sit next to them and cuddle until we discovered the breakout.

Busysqrl
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your little baby. They do steal your heart from the very first second. Yes, cats have terrible bacteria in their mouths. It works much the same way as a Kamodo Dragon. They bite their prey and then follow it for a couple of days waiting for the bacteria in their saliva to kill it, which it does. Very important to get cat caught squirrels on ABs immediately within the hour if possible.:grouphug

Busysqrl
09-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Squirrels are generally solitary animals and do not care for company unless it's breeding time. A pair of siblings might get along for a while, but squirrels in general don't make great pets. Most tend to wild up and become biting machines and are very unhappy in captivity. A VERY few like being pets.

Ultra Peepi
09-05-2010, 02:53 PM
:Welcome :grouphug so sorry the little one didn't make it. they do get your heart right away, don't they? even if you don't have one to care for, this place is a great source of comfort and comraderie for squirrel lovers.:thumbsup

JLM27
09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
You saved him from a horrible biting death and gave him love and comfort that eased his passing. Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm so sorry you lost him. :grouphug