PDA

View Full Version : New emaciated baby

mudmaiden
09-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Just recieved a new baby.Her eyes are open, but she is so emaciated I have no idea how she is still breathing....I put her on a heating pad and got some pedialyte in her...I don't see any obvious trauma. She was found in someones driveway so I have no idea what her story is, however she is from the same area that the 4 pinkies I recieved in July came from. 3 of the 4 didn't make it...ate like crazy, but just withered away....anybody have any suggestions with this cutiepie...I am very worried about her.

CritterMom
09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I would drop by drop spend the next several hours doing pedialyte. Do you have any Fox Valley? If she is that emaciated, it might be a good idea in a few hours to start alternating pedialyte with a quite diluted formula - like 3.5 or so to 1 part powder - she can start getting a little nutrition that way while still getting the hydration from all the water. Tomorrow you can very gradually start reducing the water in the FV until it is a regulat strength formula. But hydrating is most important now.

mudmaiden
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes my other little one is on the fox valley...thats exactly what I was planning on doing...poor baby...ty

Nancy in New York
09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Oh good luck with this little one. Looks like you are in for a long night there sweetie....:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

mudmaiden
09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Was up every hour with her...she was clicking so loud i could hear her before I got in the room...started her on sulfa and formula(actually pediasure ,have had sucess with it and is easy on their stomachs and they like the taste better then the formula).I will gradually transist her to fox valley...clicking has almost gone away...she is taking 2 cc's each feeding(she weighs 54 grams)..She is going to my family reunion with me today, so wish us luck!!!

mudmaiden
09-07-2010, 06:42 PM
OK guys need some input...this baby is doing better..is up to 74 g from 54 on saturday nite..peeing on her own and clear and normal poop. Her eyes look a little watery to me, but I think she may just be 5 weeks old and her eyes may have opened early from her health. My problem with her is she has no interest in eating, I have to chase her mouth with the syringe and what ever gets in there she swallows...she is on SMX because I heard very loud clicking on Saturday nite.She was on pediasure at first,but she lost interest in that and is now on fox valley and I am lucky if i can get 3cc's every 3 hours in her...any suggestions???

island rehabber
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Try making up a little homemade hydration and offer it to her in between feedings...let's say every two hours alternate a hydrating 'meal', then a formula meal. If you have apple butter or apple juice, it works best:

1 pint warm water
1.5 TABLEspoons sugar
1 TEAspoon salt
A few drops of apple juice/apple butter/applesauce for flavoring.

I've met only one squirrel in 7 years who didn't love this stuff! :thumbsup

mudmaiden
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks so much Maura!!! Will try this:D

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I have an identical case to yours, 5 week old was 50 grams, she's now up to 65, but it was a lot of work. Had to feed her like a pinkie. Been 3 days now and she's got increased appetite and energy, up to 65 grams.

I used the exact technique described in the second posting, and also have her on an antibiotic for pnemonia. Patience and persistance, plus a hard nipple so I could make entry between her lips. I'm going to introduce some solids because she's expressing interest in chewing on things.

mudmaiden
09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Well that makes me feel better...I have never had a squirrel that didn't want to eat..even the very sick ones looked for their food...she is totally indifferent.

Nancy in New York
09-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the update on your little one. I was thinking about her the other day. Nice job there, keep up the fantastic work...:Love_Icon :grouphug :Love_Icon

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Try steaming her face. Opening her passages will increase the oxygen exchange, giving her more energy and giving her more ability to smell her food. If you don't have a facial steamer, throw a pan of water on the stove and once it starts steaming, throw a towel over both of your heads and soak up the steam for 10 minutes. Make sure to hang on to her so she doesn't fall into the water.

Then try to feed her immediately after the steam treatment.

stosh2010
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
No Hints or advice[---Sorry--Just BEST WISHES for a CHUNKY & HEALTHY Furball
************************************************** *****************************
Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

mudmaiden
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
TY ALL:grouphug

prncsbabs1
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Just saw your post now...I have a 5 week old (Jackson) that at first didn't want to eat. I basically had to "force feed" (very gently) drop by drop. Thank goodness after three days he finally got the idea....he likes food!!

But, still to today I can feed him a syringe and then have to chase his face to get him to take the next, then once he latches on...I then have to wrestle it out of his mouth...and then start the chase all over again. :shakehead

Sounds like your baby is on the road to a happy, healthy long life...thanks to you. :bowdown

Good luck with her....did she tell you her name yet??

mudmaiden
09-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Yes, I named her Munchkin cause her big sisters name is Moose....Moose is the lone survivor of 4 pinkies who were very sick and I am still not sure what was wrong with them...her brother and sisters didn't make it and although she was one of the sickest(my daughter named her batwing at first because all her skin was so see through)she must have had the strongest will to live...shes huge and her squammy is very happy:D

mudmaiden
09-08-2010, 06:51 AM
And PRNCS...it sounds like you are doing a good job too!!!!!:grouphug

mudmaiden
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I am really starting to be concerned about this little one. I tried Islands idea with the apple juice and pedialyte...had to force that too...she just is not interested in eating at all . If I get 3 ccs in her every 4-5 hrs thats alot..she still weighs 74 g today. Got a bit of loose stools today(maybe from apple juice). but that seems fine now. i added a little bit of yobaby vanilla yogurt with this last feeding...still no interest. does anyone think it is possible mommy squirrel saw this little one wasn't eating and threw her out of the nest..and has anyone ever had one that just never really started eating? What eventually will happen?

Nancy in New York
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I am really starting to be concerned about this little one. I tried Islands idea with the apple juice and pedialyte...had to force that too...she just is not interested in eating at all . If I get 3 ccs in her every 4-5 hrs thats alot..she still weighs 74 g today. Got a bit of loose stools today(maybe from apple juice). but that seems fine now. i added a little bit of yobaby vanilla yogurt with this last feeding...still no interest. does anyone think it is possible mommy squirrel saw this little one wasn't eating and threw her out of the nest..and has anyone ever had one that just never really started eating? What eventually will happen?

I had one once that was called a failure to thrive. I had to give him a lot of one on one attention. He was up to over a hundred grams when my rehab friend had him and then dropped to close to 80 by the time I got him...It was almost like he had no will to make it. I held him a lot and fed almost every half hour...he only took small sips each time. I stroked him and kept him warm, day in and day out. I let him feel my skin a lot, and talked to him so much. Looked him right in the eyes, and pleaded with him to help me. I remember telling my friend he is just so lethargic, every day I used the same term for him... but I did not give up.
He may have given up...it's up to you to wish and pray and will him back to life. Do you hear any clicking? I would just hold and hold, that's what I would do...:Love_Icon

Kristal
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Isn't clicking a sign of pneumonia? I think it is... can you get antibiotics for her?

mudmaiden
09-09-2010, 06:11 AM
she has been on smx for clicking i heard the day I got her(saturday)....I wish I could sit and just hold her but I go back to work next week...shes gonna be a tough one:dono

Nancy in New York
09-09-2010, 06:18 AM
she has been on smx for clicking i heard the day I got her(saturday)....I wish I could sit and just hold her but I go back to work next week...shes gonna be a tough one:dono

I asked another member who is one of our best to come look at this thread, I need her opinion...God love you, if this is what she thinks he needs, perhaps I could help you out...BUT I will be out of town until the 13th. Let's wait until Jackie comes on...:Love_Icon

mudmaiden
09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Ty Nancy...I just fed her and for the first time she kinda held the syringe..lol..usually they are trying to swallow the syringe...like i said any ideas will be greatly appreciated...of course i could always fill her syringe with advacado and peanut butter:D

marvin's mom
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I used to mix a little all-natural applesauce and heavy cream with the formula when mine wasn't interested. Worked like a charm!:wave123

Jackie in Tampa
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
I had one once that was called a failure to thrive. I had to give him a lot of one on one attention. ...It was almost like he had no will to make it. I held him a lot and fed almost every half hour...he only took small sips each time. I stroked him and kept him warm, day in and day out. I let him feel my skin a lot, and talked to him so much. Looked him right in the eyes, and pleaded with him to help me. I remember telling my friend he is just so lethargic, every day I used the same term for him... but I did not give up.
He may have given up...it's up to you to wish and pray and will him back to life. Do you hear any clicking? I would just hold and hold, that's what I would do...:Love_Icon

like NIn has said...it takes drop by drop feedings...I was lucky I could stay home to help a sweet baby that only wanted death...she was empty and I saw it in her eyes...
she did nothing...nothing..
when she did do something, it was monumental in my heart...I waited sometimes months for some change...just her to flick her tail, something so simple astounded me, making me thrive....
i am a very soft person inside...i feel sq pain.
her life was hollow...always curled in a ball...she did nothing.
i did not have a thread for foxy roxy..i would start one and it sounded so self centered..i had nothing to report about her...nothing to share.
it always seemed to be about me...there was no news about her...
just me questioning myself what to try ...and i was always sad fro her.

i did force feed her.
i made her live. it did not feel good.
i am not one to euthanize...you only have regrets and what ifs...
i learned that along time ago...
fred is much worse than me...he will not talk about it and gets angry with me for thinking it is an option...he will rock them all the way to the bridge.
Of course there is a time to help if the gift is inevitable....pain can be unbearably overwhelming.

heartbeat is a wonderful healer...compassion and patience accompanied by prayers, having faith.
Loving sqs with everything inside you...to ralley for every single one...
is all there is to work with in the sq who will not thrive.
Every drop counts...you must have faith.
These sqs will change you...funny how lack of anything can teach so much. Go with your gut...your instinct...humm to her. Go slow...baby steps...even though she shows no response..her soul hears you and feels you...let her feel secure....fill the voids...make your presence known to her...force feed her...
make her haelthy...
I am not special except to my sqs...I am just jackie...I have no training, I do not know any secrets...I just have love...
all I can tell you is everything you do is worth it...
even if it's just taking her to God.
I am the most disorganized overwelmed person I know..my focus is in the future of the sq I am trying to help...
I try to fix sqs with nutrition...and with FRoxy, she was never hungry...
I made alot of jars of foods, solutions and tried to keep her alive with drops of each...she allowed only the minimal.
It took months...
There are peeps that find a sq and help that sq, they are sold...
then there are peeps that find a sq and never look back...sqs have changed my life..I will spend the rest of my life with sqs.
so start with a jar of molasses water diluted to tea color
make a mash with FV and bananas, try my health food shake...
carry her with you everywhere so she knows she is not alone and you will not let her go easy..
I know this sounds weird and not clinical..
I am not clinical at all.
I use my common sense and love..
I see a glimmer of hope and I pick it up..
I pee'd with FRoxy, I ate holding her..
i never left her alone, but I did keep things low key around her..
she was always with sqs at all times in the same room.
No isolation, yet no drama...
your sq will probably hate everything, but just keep doing....
make sure she has warm food...everything should be warm and nuturing...she must feel love...and she must eat.
it can be trying but you can do it...
I have always said a heartbeat is the best thing...breath warm on her head...
love heals...
I wish I could share more and better info...
I have no cure for you,,,and my advise sounds silly...but it is all I have to share ...
good luck...with all my heart

If your sweetie crosses.........it is not easy to be alone...so keep her close all the way:Love_Icon
thank you much!

momma2boo
09-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow Jackie ... wow! If ever something was written from the heart that was.

Jackie is right ... keep her on you. The warmth and closeness will absolutely help her (and you). It is a bond that can make all the difference. It is the bond of love that can make a squirrel want to live. I know my Boo fought for me! Tuck her in your shirt inside a soft fleecy sleepy sock or a fleece blanket. My little girl is tucked in my shirt sprawled out across one breast as I type this ... and I am at work (I work in the student activities office at a college). The only time my baby is not on me is when I go to sleep. During that time I put a "hot hands" inside a sock or two and under the blankets of one side of her temporary nest box (thermal insulated lunch box) then as soon as I get up she is back on me.

Best of luck. I am saying extra prayers for both of you. :Love_Icon

Nancy in New York
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
like NIn has said...it takes drop by drop feedings...I was lucky I could stay home to help a sweet baby that only wanted death...she was empty and I saw it in her eyes...
she did nothing...nothing..
when she did do something, it was monumental in my heart...I waited sometimes months for some change...just her to flick her tail, something so simple astounded me, making me thrive....
i am a very soft person inside...i feel sq pain.
her life was hollow...always curled in a ball...she did nothing.
i did not have a thread for foxy roxy..i would start one and it sounded so self centered..i had nothing to report about her...nothing to share.
it always seemed to be about me...there was no news about her...
just me questioning myself what to try ...and i was always sad fro her.

i did force feed her.
i made her live. it did not feel good.
i am not one to euthanize...you only have regrets and what ifs...
i learned that along time ago...
fred is much worse than me...he will not talk about it and gets angry with me for thinking it is an option...he will rock them all the way to the bridge.
Of course there is a time to help if the gift is inevitable....pain can be unbearably overwhelming.

heartbeat is a wonderful healer...compassion and patience accompanied by prayers, having faith.
Loving sqs with everything inside you...to ralley for every single one...
is all there is to work with in the sq who will not thrive.
Every drop counts...you must have faith.
These sqs will change you...funny how lack of anything can teach so much. Go with your gut...your instinct...humm to her. Go slow...baby steps...even though she shows no response..her soul hears you and feels you...let her feel secure....fill the voids...make your presence known to her...force feed her...
make her haelthy...
I am not special except to my sqs...I am just jackie...I have no training, I do not know any secrets...I just have love...
all I can tell you is everything you do is worth it...
even if it's just taking her to God.
I am the most disorganized overwelmed person I know..my focus is in the future of the sq I am trying to help...
I try to fix sqs with nutrition...and with FRoxy, she was never hungry...
I made alot of jars of foods, solutions and tried to keep her alive with drops of each...she allowed only the minimal.
It took months...
There are peeps that find a sq and help that sq, they are sold...
then there are peeps that find a sq and never look back...sqs have changed my life..I will spend the rest of my life with sqs.
so start with a jar of molasses water diluted to tea color
make a mash with FV and bananas, try my health food shake...
carry her with you everywhere so she knows she is not alone and you will not let her go easy..
I know this sounds weird and not clinical..
I am not clinical at all.
I use my common sense and love..
I see a glimmer of hope and I pick it up..
I pee'd with FRoxy, I ate holding her..
i never left her alone, but I did keep things low key around her..
she was always with sqs at all times in the same room.
No isolation, yet no drama...
your sq will probably hate everything, but just keep doing....
make sure she has warm food...everything should be warm and nuturing...she must feel love...and she must eat.
it can be trying but you can do it...
I have always said a heartbeat is the best thing...breath warm on her head...
love heals...
I wish I could share more and better info...
I have no cure for you,,,and my advise sounds silly...but it is all I have to share ...
good luck...with all my heart

If your sweetie crosses.........it is not easy to be alone...so keep her close all the way:Love_Icon
thank you much!

Thank you Jackie...You said this much better than I could have ever expressed it.
I had read about Foxy, and it teared me up then as it does now. There are these babies that want to give up...is it because they are loners, is there something else going on? I too am such a firm believer in all that you stated....You almost have to will them to live and hold onto them and bring them back.
Thank you again Jackie....:Love_Icon
Margie...I am sending prayers for you both...:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

mudmaiden
09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Jackie..this made me cry!!!Thankyou so much for your words of inspiration!!!:grouphug

mudmaiden
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Thankyou everyone...I hope this baby can hear all your prayers and realizes she is loved and grows to run in the trees!!:rotfl

Kristal
09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
That was touching, Jackie. There have been a few times with Nibbler that I thought he was getting sick... he worried me so much when I could not get him to eat enough. I remember just holding him in my two hands and whispering to him after two days of him barely eating at all. It did seem to help, and he turned a corner. He eats much better now, but not as much as his sibs, still.

They really seem to love eachother, too. The time Rifa escaped and was crying on the floor, Squeaky was crying back to her, trying to help her find her way home, even though it would put him at risk in a wild environment. I have also seen them reach out and welcome each other, pulling one into an embrace when I put it back after feeding - even though they are already warm in their 3 deep squirrel pile. Squirrels definitely seem to understand love, more than puppies or kittens, even. Love seems to be able to help them when they are sick, too :)

mudmaiden
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
That is so true Kristal...as much as the siblings fight over food they still snuggle to sleep:D . Something I missed the first time i read the post by jackie was the part about their eyes...I keep telling my friend how something seems wrong with the little munchkins eyes...i have been blaming it on the fact they may have opened to early, but jackie pegged it..her eyes are empty..no happiness to see me..to get out of her cage or to eat...I just feel so bad for this poor little one:dono

Nancy in New York
09-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Just checking in to see how the little one is doing...:Love_Icon :grouphug :Love_Icon

mudmaiden
09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I was just coming on here to update everyone...Munchkin is doing Great!! She now weighs 88g up from 54g when I got her last Sat. She seems to be enjoying her bottle a bit more, I have added a little yobaby yogurt. This morning when i put her back in her cage i heard her in there playing and when i looked she was jumping around. So I decided to put her in with moose and see what happened. I made her her own little box to go in and they seem to be fine. She came out a little bit ago and stole one of the nutballs I made for moose(thankyou mommatoboo).She took it into bed with her...so i am thrilled because that means she is finally finding food interesting. THANKS all for your prayers...I think they did the trick:bowdown :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :multi

Nancy in New York
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I just love these updates...way to go little one!!! and you too mudmaiden! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

mudmaiden
09-11-2010, 09:41 AM
117236 I am hoping this picture shows up..I am not very computer savy...this is Moose taken last nite. i will try to get one of Munchkin later

momma2boo
09-11-2010, 09:54 AM
I was just coming on here to update everyone...Munchkin is doing Great!! She now weighs 88g up from 54g when I got her last Sat. She seems to be enjoying her bottle a bit more, I have added a little yobaby yogurt. This morning when i put her back in her cage i heard her in there playing and when i looked she was jumping around. So I decided to put her in with moose and see what happened. I made her her own little box to go in and they seem to be fine. She came out a little bit ago and stole one of the nutballs I made for moose(thankyou mommatoboo).She took it into bed with her...so i am thrilled because that means she is finally finding food interesting. THANKS all for your prayers...I think they did the trick:bowdown :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :multi

You are so very welcome. Glad Munchin is doing well. That's what I like to hear. Kisses to the both of them. You're doing a great job!:thumbsup

island rehabber
09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
:multi :thumbsup :wahoo :multi :bowdown

Can you tell how happy I am? Go, baby Munchkin! Good job, mamma!

PS: Poor Moose. Imagine when she starts dating and tells her first suitor her name is......Moose?? :rotfl:osnap

Nancy in New York
09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
There is nothing cuter than a baby squirrels face...I love you Moose...:Love_Icon

mudmaiden
09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
LOL!!!....I thought about that Maura, but then i decided she had overcome such odds and is just so beautiful that any little male squirrely would just adore her(besides she is a moose lol)!!:Love_Icon :grouphug :Love_Icon

island rehabber
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Agreed. And besides, maybe in squirrel language the sound "Moose" is a beautiful name, like, y'know, "Marianna" or something like that. :tilt