PDA

View Full Version : juvenile squirrel with fractured femur

graefin
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I found a juvenile squirrel today who was acting odd (a little girl was trying to grab him, and he wasn't running away). I saw that he seemed to have some problems moving, so I picked him up. He curled up on my lap (I was kneeling) and didn't move.

I took him to the rehabber I take birds to, and on x-ray, she found that he had a fractured femur (I hope I'm getting these bones right--it's the area near the pelvis) and possibly a fractured pelvis. The tibia on the same side had been fractured a while back but had healed. He also has some clear fluid in the abdomen.

Since she's going to keep him for 10 days (quarantine, since he bit me), she's going to try to pin the femur tomorrow. I hope this guy can make it! Anyone have experience with this?

Also, are prophy rabies shots necessary for me? She didn't think so.

Thanks.

DubShack
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
We just had a huge discussion about this in one of the other forums. The likelyhood that a squirrel would survive the infection of rabies long enough for it to gestate and pass on to you is extremely slim. However, caution is the better part of valor. If you feel like you should, I'd say go do it. Just to be on the safe side. At the very least, get your tetenus shots up to date.

Hope the little guy pulls through. Do you think he got the fractures from the little girl, or from something else? (I think the femur is in the lower part of the leg but I could be wrong)

Are you going to be getting him back from rehab, or are you going to pass him on? Either way, I think you'll find a ton of support here. These guys are really fantastic. :)

squirrelfriend
11-08-2006, 05:24 AM
the femur is the thigh bone. the tibia is the bone of the lower leg. I wouldn't say that rabies shots are necessary. I have been bit a few times already and never got sick. Hope the little guy is doing better. Keep us posted. about how old was the little guy?

graefin
11-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi guys,

I'd guess he's between 8-12 weeks.

I also think (but this is also just a guess) he either fell and broke the bones or was in a fight with another squirrel (they can be aggressive; I've seen adults chasing juveniles). The little girl hadn't touched him yet (after I picked him up, she was begging me to pet him, even though I was dripping blood).

The rehab place (which happens to be a vet clinic) will likely keep him until he's recovered.

BTW, I'm in the NYC area.

Gabe
11-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Did the squirrel bite you and break the skin? If not there is no exposure and you do not need to worry about rabies shots. If he broke the skin, check with your county health dept., they will have answers for you. Squirrels can and do get rabies, not often, but your life is not worth taking chances, once you have the symptoms, there is no chance of your survival. Never take chances with your own life.

The femur should heal nicely. The concern I would have is why does he keep breaking bones? You said his tibia had been broken and healed.

Critter_Queen
11-08-2006, 08:16 AM
In Iowa rabies isn't really an issue with squirrels. I've not heard of anyone needing rabies shots from a squirrel bite. We had two rehabbers in our group get the rabies shots this year from coon bites...and I hear that they are painful and don't do any good for rabies in the future, just this bite.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are very worried and feel you should, then by all means... You should feel comfortable with whatever decision you make.

Good job for keeping such a good eye out for the squirrels! :thumbsup I hope this little one is able to recover...but try not to get your hopes up...a break in the upper, upper thigh bone and pelvis is not easy to mend. Cautiously optimistic is what I would be. :)

Please keep us posted!

graefin
11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi all,

A sad update: the little one passed away over night.

He had some internal injuries, so he must have sustained a significant trauma. Maybe a fall from a tree? There aren't any cars or predators here.

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Critter_Queen
11-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Awe, bummer. I guess you can at least take some comfort in the fact that you helped him be comfortable as possible during his last hours instead of being the play thing for a little girl or a snack for a neighborhood stray. He passed in a warm place with nothing to threaten him.

I'm sorry he didn't make it. You did everything you could... :grouphug