PDA

View Full Version : Help with baby

WSTX
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
My husband is bringing home our newest member of the family, she is a 8 week old southern flying squirrel she will be our first and I am a nervous wreck. Like a new mom bringing home her first baby!! My question is I have done all kinds of research but it is limited on certain things. I am getting her cage ready and want to put some twigs and branches and leaves in her cage in my yard I have these tree's oak, chinaberry,fruitless mullberry,peach,mesquite,wild pecan,cultivated pecan, plum are in of these woods safe? I also have honeysuckle bushes everywhere.

darrakm
11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Right now just some oak is good. If you want all of her love, honeysuckle blooms will get it...LOL

WSTX
11-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks sooo much got plenty of oak and how lucky am I that I still have some blooms on my honeysuckle...just knew I had to be careful of woods from what I had read, dont wont to make my baby sick or worse

Somebody's Mother
11-07-2006, 06:08 PM
i just picked up my little flyer this past sunday. the rehabber said the branches of our oak tree would be good but not to give her the leaves.
they are darling little creatures and very quick. good luck!

WSTX
11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
i just picked up my little flyer this past sunday. the rehabber said the branches of our oak tree would be good but not to give her the leaves.
they are darling little creatures and very quick. good luck!

Oh thanks so much as I would have assumed the oak leaves were fine for her cage if the oak limb was....I wont be assuming anymore instead I will ask expierenced ones I wont to be a good mom

WSTX
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Also I am confused, I think I have researched to much.
My baby is coming home with a supply of rep-cal with vitamin D. My question is if I give her this do I need to still put water soulable vitamin drops in water?
Do I still need to put salt, mineral blocks and cuttle bone in her cage?

Somebody's Mother
11-07-2006, 06:56 PM
somewhere on here is a thread with that information. i can't remember which one. hopefully we will have a rehabber drop into this thread shortly. they usually have the answers.

squirrelygirl
11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
sorry, I can't answer that either. I don't usually use vitamins, but I definitely include the mineral/salt blocks, cuttle bones, antler tips, ect. As long as the squirrels are healthy and have a nutritious diet, there isn't usually need for vitamin supplements. (for fox squirrels, anyways) At least that's my opinion. Licensed rehabbers please chip in!

Momma Squirrel
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
:Welcome WSTX and your new little girl flyer. What is her name? Not an expert here but for flyer's calcium is even more important for them than other squirrels because of course they don't get the sunlight exposure that the day timers get. The Vitamin D helps them absorb the calcium. We have a Flying Squirrel thread on the main page that you might want to check out for some good tips and answers to some of your questions. Good luck and if you can post a picture of the new arrival. Oh yeah welcome to the Night Club :D :D

WSTX
11-07-2006, 08:01 PM
:Welcome WSTX and your new little girl flyer. What is her name? Not an expert here but for flyer's calcium is even more important for them than other squirrels because of course they don't get the sunlight exposure that the day timers get. The Vitamin D helps them absorb the calcium. We have a Flying Squirrel thread on the main page that you might want to check out for some good tips and answers to some of your questions. Good luck and if you can post a picture of the new arrival. Oh yeah welcome to the Night Club :D :D

:thankyou , I am naming her Piper, my very elderly father's grandmother was a Piper and she meant the world to him and she brought him much joy and love so the name seems fitting for something that will bring me the same. I will look at the other forum and thanks for the :thumbsup. When she gets here tommorow(husbands traveling) I will get some pictures.
I have seen how important the calcium and vitamin D is but I just want to make sure that is all the supplement she needs. My brain is much shouldn't have read so mush.:help

darrakm
11-08-2006, 12:36 AM
There is a lot of info here on this amazingly wonderful board, but if you would like to visit a board that specializes in flyers, visit:
http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php
There is an Education section there that helps with housing, diet, vitamins, bonding, etc. A very friendly concerned bunch of people who would be happy to answer any questions you have that haven't been answered here.
And post us a picture here so we can see the sweetie.

rygel1hardt
11-08-2006, 10:44 AM
First welcome to the squirrel board and congrats on your new family member. Where are you getting your baby from? I have a pair and they are great. My female who is six months old isnt tame even though I have had her since she was four weeks old. My four year old male on the other hand is the sweetest squirrel ever! He loves people and is funny and playful. I hope you enjoy your new baby as much as I have mine! Stacey
My husband is bringing home our newest member of the family, she is a 8 week old southern flying squirrel she will be our first and I am a nervous wreck. Like a new mom bringing home her first baby!! My question is I have done all kinds of research but it is limited on certain things. I am getting her cage ready and want to put some twigs and branches and leaves in her cage in my yard I have these tree's oak, chinaberry,fruitless mullberry,peach,mesquite,wild pecan,cultivated pecan, plum are in of these woods safe? I also have honeysuckle bushes everywhere.

WSTX
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
:thankyou Oh I am pacing the floor I can't wait!!! My little Piper is coming from Helen's Critters out of San Antonio TX, I have put off getting her till my honey traveled that way for buisness. Just couldn't bring myself to put this little girl through the trauma of a air flight even thou it would only be a hour flight to me I just wouldn't do it.:shakehead

susanw
11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I can tell this squirrel is not going to be too spoiled! I'm sure you are going to do a great job.:wahoo

darrakm
11-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Helen's has a good rep with the flyers so I'm sure you will get a sweet one. You will make an excellant HOF

Momma Squirrel
11-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Has Piper made it home yet??

Somebody's Mother
11-09-2006, 09:57 AM
momma squirrel of course this baby has made it home. what do you think is occupying her new momma?? certainly not her husband. :osnap

Momma Squirrel
11-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Well we need an update, you can't just leave us hanging without news :nono You know we are all Aunts and Uncles :D

susanw
11-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Where is Piper?:dono

Somebody's Mother
11-11-2006, 06:16 PM
i had emailed her mommy asking how she is doing. here is the reply. i think her mommy is kind of busy with the baby.

Debbie, Piper is great! Thou my fingers are a bit sore hehe, the first 24 hours I was a teething ring I didn’t no how to get het out of the bag and so every time I put my finger at the entrance she would run up and bite me, sometimes nips other time a real sink down bite. I have learned how to pick her up now and so biting is rare. Okay I got the drops and the Rep-Cal(vitamin D) and the cuttle bone so it sounds like that is all I need other than a good diet. Yes I am hooked Piper caught my heart instantly! Thank you for letting me no what she needs.

WSTX
11-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Update: Sorry I left everyone hanging but I was captivated by this little girl. Wonder how I lived all these years without such a precious family member...
Piper is doing GREAT she has bonded well with me the only time she is not in my pocket is at night when I am asleep:) she is nursing well yep she is still nursing as my honey picked out a 5 1/2 week old little girl so a bit younger than the one I thought I was getting. The family has fallen in love and she has entertained us sooo much in her waking hours....Yes I am one proud MOM:jump

Momma Squirrel
11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
that is great, sounds like Piper has found a terrific loving home. They will steal your heart in as IR would say a New York second or is that minute :thinking Post some pictures if you can we love looking at our new squirrels.

muffinsquirrel
11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I am getting her cage ready and want to put some twigs and branches and leaves in her cage in my yard I have these tree's oak, chinaberry,fruitless mullberry,peach,mesquite,wild pecan,cultivated pecan, plum are in of these woods safe? I also have honeysuckle bushes everywhere.

It suddenly hit me what you said in your post....honeysuckle BUSHES everywhere. If it is bush honeysuckle rather than vine, then it is related to the azalea family, and is probably poisionous. I'd do some research on it if I were you. If it is plain old honeysuckle vine, the flying squirrels love the flowers.

muffinsquirrel