PDA

View Full Version : Bloody nose a concern?

rrenner
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
One of the squirrels that hangs around our house fell from a tree (it had been raining) and landed on my husband's truck. Probably fell 10 - 20 feet. She seemed a bit dazed; got up and ran up the tree, where she is sitting quietly in a protected area. Her nose area is bleeding, don't know if she hit her nose or front teeth. She landed on her feet, but maybe hit her face on the hood. I could not catch her. Some of the local squirrels will let me get pretty close, but she stayed just out of reach.
Does this kind of thing heal up well on its own? It seemed like a lot of blood to me - dripping a bit and she left some on the truck. I have seen them fall before from even higher up but they usually land on the grass and seem fine. I have a release cage outside that I put food in so I might be able to catch her tomorrow sometime. Thanks for your advice.

Somebody's Mother
11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
this is just my opinion. but if she makes it through the night okay i think she will probably be okay. hopefully she didn't chip or break her teeth off. but it would be a good idea to keep an eye out for her tomorrow and see if she seems to be able to eat okay.
maybe you should park your pickup someplace else. in case one of your squirrel friends takes a tumble again. either that or get a net for them fall into. sort of like circus performers. :D

rrenner
11-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Thank you - I will see if I can catch a glimpse of her tomorrow. I hope she is OK; I am worried about her.

Actually, the truck probably broke her fall - she'd have hit the concrete driveway otherwise! I like the net idea - wish I could do that to all the oaks in our yard!

Critter_Queen
11-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Hopefully she bit her lip, tongue, etc and that's what the blood was from. Or just a plain bloody nose wouldn't be so bad for a fall like that...and the rain probably made the blood seem more than it was (if it was raining a lot). But either way, you can only wait and see if she comes around today. I hope she looks well when you see her.

rrenner
11-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I did see her this morning. She had no blood on her and I watched her shell and eat a pecan so I think her teeth are OK. She is sneezing a bit but running around and eating, so I think she will be fine, thanks. Only other thing I noticed on her is that the long nail in the middle of one of her front paws is sticking up higher than all the rest. Don't know if she broke it or the little bone on the end of her paw or not, but she seems to be getting around fine. I will continue to watch her!