PDA

View Full Version : crusty eye and runny nose

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Jude woke up for morning feeding and I noticed that one of his eyes was almost matted shut. I wiped it clean with a warm cotton ball...and it looks clear and no more matting....he did however have a tiny tiny amount of snot in one nostril. With him being so fragile anyways....Im a bit concerned. I truly believe he is going to be my "special needs" baby. The starvation I think may have caused enough trauma that his development is very delayed. He's healthy...breathing great...has a great appetite and great pooh and pees. Although I did notice his stool changing to a lighter yellow color so I added a bit more water to his feedings. We will see if it helps. If a vet appt is warranted I will no hesitate to take him in RIGHT NOW! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Jude woke up for morning feeding and I noticed that one of his eyes was almost matted shut. I wiped it clean with a warm cotton ball...and it looks clear and no more matting....he did however have a tiny tiny amount of snot in one nostril. With him being so fragile anyways....Im a bit concerned. I truly believe he is going to be my "special needs" baby. The starvation I think may have caused enough trauma that his development is very delayed. He's healthy...breathing great...has a great appetite and great pooh and pees. Although I did notice his stool changing to a lighter yellow color so I added a bit more water to his feedings. We will see if it helps. If a vet appt is warranted I will no hesitate to take him in RIGHT NOW! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

at next feeding the eye was still a bit crusty, but he opened it up right away....i hope this isnt serious.

Jackie in Tampa
08-30-2010, 01:48 PM
a few of my sqs get crusties/sleepies sometimes..
never has been an issue...
I wouldn't worry just yet!

rozdow
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Baby immune systems are "weaker" than those of adults. I'd keep a very close eye on him & if he doesn't improve shortly (or gets worse) I'd get him to a vet for antiobiotics. You don't want something that is treatable early on to turn life threatening. If he is compromised, perhaps a regular dose Vetri-DG (?) is in order - immune booster.

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Baby immune systems are "weaker" than those of adults. I'd keep a very close eye on him & if he doesn't improve shortly (or gets worse) I'd get him to a vet for antiobiotics. You don't want something that is treatable early on to turn life threatening. If he is compromised, perhaps a regular dose Vetri-DG (?) is in order - immune booster.

Jackie....TY. Like any good squamma, I tend to worry bout these little guys ALOT! The eye was crusty...just a bit this last feeding. I wiped it clean again.

Roz....TY. I totally agree with the weaker immune system and he certainly hasn't developed like the others did at that age ( mentally ) but I blame that on starvation. Who knows..if he is a special needs baby....he is welcome to stay with us as long as he choses.

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Jackie....TY. Like any good squamma, I tend to worry bout these little guys ALOT! The eye was crusty...just a bit this last feeding. I wiped it clean again.

Roz....TY. I totally agree with the weaker immune system and he certainly hasn't developed like the others did at that age ( mentally ) but I blame that on starvation. Who knows..if he is a special needs baby....he is welcome to stay with us as long as he choses.
Where can I purchase said immune booster?

CritterMom
08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Where can I purchase said immune booster?

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/1820/vetri-and-dmg-liquid.htm

:D

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
ok....now his pooh has a green tinge to it. We will keep a close eye on him tonight, but my gut tells me that its probably time for some AB's if nothing else than to have on hand in case things get worse. Vets office is closed till the morn, and im certain it can wait. I will be getting Baytril and I will need some info on dosing if the time comes where I need to. Also I was given some good advice about just eye drops too. Makes sense to treat the area and not the whole body as AB's can be rough on a little guy. I will NOT, I repeat NOT dose ANYTHING to the babies without hearing from a more experienced rehabber first.