PDA

View Full Version : Breast Milk

Rescue04
08-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I had someone contact my wife today and almost gave a baby squirrel with a injured leg cows milk. She did not, but can not get FV or esbilac to make formula. I have heard of other animals breast feeding squirrels, but does anyone know if human breast milk would do any harm? I think yes, but just looking to see if anyone has heard of this? I told her to get pedialyte to start and she has the baby in a cage with a blanket. This one looks young but is at least 8-12 weeks old. The baby is also vomitting something brown.

Rescue04
08-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Just a heads up, the person who contacted me lives in Canada, about 4 hours from anything - thus the breast milk question.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
08-29-2010, 06:23 AM
I'd say no. If you think about it, human babies grow up so slowly and therefore likely have lower fat and protein needs than squirrels and human baby formulas are NOT good for squirrels because of this very reason. So, I would say no. Goats milk with egg and heavy cream added I think is the recommended substitute formula while waiting for FV. Of course you could try human milk with the heavy cream and egg added. Not sure, but I am pretty sure alone it is NOT good.