PDA

View Full Version : Hello

mattnjeana
08-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Well I am fairly new here been posting for a week and just discovered the introduce yourself page...lol Been to preoccupied with my little one I suppose...:) My name is Jeana and I am from Central Illinois....Just a 42 year old homemaker and mother of 4 children .....I have always loved all animals ...and when I walked by and found this little baby girl foxer squirrel on the road ...and mom never came for her ....my heart told me I needed to step in and be a foster mother to her.....and boy oh boy has she wormed her way into my heart in just a week lol I have spent alot of time reading the success stories on here........such a wonderful group of people.....shed many tears already reading the releases ...but at the same time was smiling at what you all have done. Is such a big sacrafice to love something so much and then release it back to the wild like nature intended and such an unselfish act. I am a BIG Picture nut so heres my new little girl ....her name is Roo

Jackie in Tampa
08-27-2010, 09:50 AM
:Welcome well hello!
I am a big sq nut and love Roo, especially her sweet tummy!:D
more pics...never enough!

CritterMom
08-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Jeana, now THAT is a tummy! :thumbsup :thumbsup

She is looking wonderful!

nnmaru1
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
oh how sweet :)

She looks BEAUTIFUL, hydrated and full. you're doing spectacular job with the baby!

Skul
08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
The size of the feets remind me of Garfield the cat.:rotfl
Hope that tummy can keep up with them.:D

Ronda
08-28-2010, 02:41 AM
What a beautiful baby... she looks wonderful! Welcome to TSB!

island rehabber
08-28-2010, 06:06 AM
:wave123 hi Roo!! You are bee-ROO-tifull!!! :D

mugzeezma
08-28-2010, 09:09 AM
:wave123 hi Roo!! You are bee-ROO-tifull!!! :D

Yes Bee-ROO-tiful Is right!!!
You a funny goil IR!

She has that fat n' happy mona lisa smile thing goin' too!!!

Lookin' good Jeana

check these for a chew proof cage to start...too small for long term but it'll getcha where you're going if you get the 3 level ($60-$70?)
you need a metal pan
I use cat cages but they are modified with metal edges

http://www.critter-cages.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58

mattnjeana
08-28-2010, 02:57 PM
ok at what point do i use a cage like that ? and would this one be ok....a girlfriend had picked it up for me today at a garage sale for $2

kbinford
08-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh, she is so CUTE!! Makes me want to do it again! Rescued 2 myself that fell out of a neighbors tree during hurricane Ike. I was completely new at it and this board really helped. They were brand new babies...eyes still closed....dehydrated and cold. Used puppy formula for a while and then got them eating and cracking various nuts and then pinecones. Got to watch them grow and turn into frisky little adolescents. Kept them about 7 months and released them early spring. The female still comes around almost daily to check the pine trees for cones and check the little plate I leave out with nuts. It was an incredible experience. Good luck with yours!

kbinford
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I used a big cage made out of chicken wire and made sure none of the ends were exposed. Every weekend I would find fresh branches to go from one side to the other in the cage so that they could learn to climb and also have cover. I also put down a bed of pine needles, bark, leaves, etc. on the bottom and my husband made a little wooden box with a hole just big enough for them to get into and that's where they slept after packing it full of miscellaneous bedding themselves. They seemed to really like it. Nuts and fruits/veggies and a rodent block along with many tree branches kept them busy and entertained. I think the cage you pictured would be fine for a while providing you can find some natural elements to add in....good luck!

Crabbyolebroad
08-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Roo is too cute! Honestly, there is a whole lotta cuteness on this board!

mugzeezma
08-28-2010, 06:36 PM
ok at what point do i use a cage like that ? and would this one be ok....a girlfriend had picked it up for me today at a garage sale for $2
It will be okay for now. It looks to be about 2' or so?
Roo will require at least a 4' h by 3' w. Cat cage with shelves will work. Squirrels don't need the ladders. Use branches. She'll need
. she will also need a nest box. Hole Dia of 3"

mattnjeana
08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
yeah its about 2 foot tall...figured it would work for a while before I move her into a big one ? and at what point do I use this one ? when her eyes are open and shes a bit more active? and the nest box for the inside of the cage use what a cardboard box with a hole cut in it?

michelle7749
08-29-2010, 05:42 AM
:Welcome to TSB! Roo is just tooo cute! I love the pics, as you said, you're a picture nut, so am I :D Please keep us posted on how the little darling is doing!