PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Update (it's been a while)

Fivefootsix
08-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi All...Stopping by to give ya an update on my Ozzy Boy!
He's 5 months old now and doing GREAT! He's very comfortable in his cage, which I place outside during the day, but I bring it in at night. I take him out to play at least once a day. Playing includes romping around on my bed and playing "Chase Me' and "Catch Me If Ya Can" (i always win the "catch me" game :) ).

I must admit that I haven't made the Calcium Bars, however, Ozzy eats better than most Vegetarians I know! Of course corn is his favorite, but his diet also includes carrots, zuchinni, sweet potatos, green beans, orange squash, and turnips (to name a few), all cut up in "Ozzy Size Pieces" and served in his feeding dish on a bed of romaine lettuce. His treats throughout the day are unsalted peanuts, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, almonds, and walnuts (but he has yet to master cracking the walnut). He gets a bedtime snack of datenut bread (which he loves)...He has learned that once he gets the small piece of datenut bread...it means "Lights out ~ Time To Sleep!

I can't express how much joy and smiles this little guy provides. It's safe to say that I'll be keeping him through the Winter, as I never did get around to making his "Squirrel Condo" which I had hoped to place in a high tree in the back/side yard. At this point, I fear he his too domesticated to send him out into the world (even if the world is my backyard). I can't imagine where he will find fresh veggies & nuts on his own :dono .

In closing, the last thing I must boast about is his absolutely beautiful tail and fur. Some areas of his gray fur have turned a golden-brown and his tail is BIG and fluffy with shades of gray, outlined with tips of white on each strand. It is truly beautiful!

As Summer comes to an end here in the northeast, I look forward to visiting The Squirrel Board more often...Until then...I wish you all Health, Happiness and Squirrel Love :Love_Icon

Linda :wave123

Jackie in Tampa
08-27-2010, 09:42 AM
:wave123 good to see you both again..
hate to be neg...but corn is the worst...followed by sunflower seeds...:nono
and feeding date nut bread is also not advised..he needs rodent blocks and calcium rich veggies...and MUSHROOMS must be part of his diet if he doesn't get sunlight, HHBs or formula.
Please see our nutritional guides again...maybe post the list on fridge...
corn will deplete calcium and WILL lead to MBD...
I know from experience...a very sad story...I too gave my sq what he wanted and what I thought was TOP SHELF...boy did I mess up...my pet sq has been in recovery for MBD for a few years..I was lucky and caught it in time, yet not before he suffered seizures and almost perm paralysis...
Thank God and TSB for helping me with good research and knowledge...
Please ck out the forum...and make the needed changes...I know you want what's best for Ozzy!:Love_Icon
I just had to post that...I wouldn't sleep knowing he was in future jeopardy..
other than that...good to see you back!!!!!:jump

Ronda
08-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Good to see Ozzy again,....he looks happy and spoiled, as he should be!

Fivefootsix
08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I definatly understand the importance of calcium in Ozzy's diet. He does get plenty of fresh air & sunshine daily (weather permitting), and although corn is his favorite, I give him just one small piece (about an inch of corn cob cut in half) for breakfast & dinner. He also gets other fresh veggies & fruits that do contain calcium that I didn't mention like apple, avacado, soy beans, asparagus, watermelon, etc...Sunflower seeds and datenut bread are given strictly on a "bedtime snack" basis and in small quantities as well.

I don't know what MBD is...Because Ozzy is my first "up close & personal" experience with a squirrel, I'm going by sheer common sense where his diet is concerned and his overall appearance and attitude in general. His eyes are clear, his fur is like velvet, and his tail should go into the Guiness Book for being the biggest, fluffiest, most beautiful tail I've ever seen on a squirrel! He is alert, playful, and gentle with me, and seems to be very comfortable in his cage (which is a medium-large metal dog crate i enclosed with chicken wire and have standing vertical so large branches fit in it for him to climb and play on). His "bed" is a metal basket filled with pieces of old tee-shirts and I "change the sheets" (so to speak) every few days and clean up all the cracked peanut shells and other "treasures" he hoards. Every week or so, a new "toy" is introduced to him which are always items like baby rattles and non-toxic wooden blocks on string, etc...He appears to be very content.
He has yet to even spend a night outdoors in the cage as I bring the cage inside when the sun sets. He would probably be fine overnight in his cage outside on the patio, but I'm the one that has to know he is OK and tucked in for the night where I can see him and KNOW he is safe & sound! Sweet thing sleeps through the night like a baby, and each morning, we begin again!

My biggest fear is that I have domesticated him far too much, and he stands a good chance of becoming a permanent "Fur-Kid" for me. My intent when my Australian Terrier found him at just 2 weeks old in the yard was that I would care for him until he was old enough to be set free back into the yard...Needless to say, it doesn't look like that plan is going to happen. We've become far too attached, and he's part of the family now!

I know I have at least 2 wildlife rehabbers within a half hour from me, but at this point, I don't know if I can let him go...We've become soooo attached and I just love the little guy! If I give him to a wildlife rehabber, I would want to be able to visit him ALOT! So for now, he stays and I continue to love him and watch him grow. There are times when I feel bad that he is in a cage, and think that I am depriving him of a "real squirrel life", but in all honesty, there are more times when I don't think he even realizes he is a squirrel...He's just a happy little creature that seems to want for nothing and appears to be very happy & content.

Until further notice...I'm keepin' him!
My apology for such a long post...I really wanted to paint a picture of Ozzy's lifestyle for all of you to know, and I continue to welcome any & all advice!

Health & Happiness,
Linda - Long Island's South Shore

astra
08-29-2010, 06:43 PM
I definatly understand the importance of calcium in Ozzy's diet. He does get plenty of fresh air & sunshine daily (weather permitting), and although corn is his favorite, I give him just one small piece (about an inch of corn cob cut in half) for breakfast & dinner. He also gets other fresh veggies & fruits that do contain calcium that I didn't mention like apple, avacado, soy beans, asparagus, watermelon, etc...Sunflower seeds and datenut bread are given strictly on a "bedtime snack" basis and in small quantities as well.

I don't know what MBD is...

Welcome back!:Welcome

It's wonderful that Ozzy is doing so well, but Jackie in Tampa speaks from years and years of experience.
1" of corn twice a day daily, sunflower seeds and datenut bread daily - way too much for a squirrel.
Soy beans lead to tumors in rodents and are better to be avoided.
Calcium rich veggies are great, but due to the absorption rate of calcium from vegetables and presence of rather large (for a squirrel) quantities of calcium depleting food (corn, sunflr. seeds), his body might be absorbing even less calcium. (By the way, most of calcium loss in most mammals, including humans, occurs during sleep. So, getting calcium-depleting food as a bedtime snack might increase their calcium-depleting quality).

There is much info on MBD on TSB - there are special "sicky" threads in Nutrition section on symptoms and treatment.
Even though, Ozzy may appear healthy, if he doesn't receive sufficient amount of calcium ( which is almost impossible without either blocks, or formula), he will get MBD.
One of the cunning aspects of MBD is that it's onset of symptoms is sudden. And, usually, when MBD symptoms become obvious, it means that the disease has gone rather far ( that's why the urgency and initial aggressiveness in treatment).
It can be treated, some recover to full health, but sometimes the impact of this disease is so serious that squirrels become permanently NR ( depends on the individual cases, of course.) And if Ozzy decides to be released ( and it will be Ozzy's decision - squirrels decide, not their humans;-)), that will become a serious issue.

All info in The Nutrition section has been provided by experienced rehabbers and people who raised dozens of squirrels. There has not been one instance that proved to be an exception to what's known and written about MBD.

This board is an amazing resource for raising a healthy squirrel! Great place to be!:thumbsup

Fivefootsix
09-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Thank You for the advice & info regarding Ozzy's calcium intake. I have drastically reduced giving him corn to just 1/4 piece of an inch of cob just once a day, and cut out sunflower seeds all together (he gets an extra almond instead). I'm giving him more calcium rich veggies & fruits and I'm going to try giving him the yogurt that was mentioned.

As far as his release goes...How will I know if & when "he" wants to go?
He seems to be so very content both in his cage and with his routine. When a release day comes (if it comes), it's going to surely break my heart. I MUST know that he's going to be OK, and I'm petrified to let him out in the yard! If he does decide he wants to go, it's going to have to be to a Wildlife Rescue Expert. I have several to choose from in my area, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather keep him myself and will miss him terribly.

I will certainly keep you posted on his progress along with any decisions "he" may make!

Thanks again,
Linda

Ultra Peepi
09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
lots of good advice and help here for squirrel lovers. cute friend you have there!:thumbsup

JLM27
09-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Oboy! Ozzy looks like such a cutie pie! Thank you for sharing those pics with us. I had been sprinkling crushed raspberry flavored Tums on a little piece of avocado, which my little patient Munchkin seemed to like a lot.