PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kansas!

Crabbyolebroad
08-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm a squirrel mommy to Skittles....a little guy that survived a 20 to 30 foot fall from an oak tree in front of my house. Momma wouldn't take him back even after he was warmed, so he is now cared for by my family. He had a head injury hat has healed, but we think he is blind in 1 eye. He was maybe 2 1/2 to 3 weeks when I found him.

He is now fed, fat and rambunctious. Getting bigger by the day and he is getting a new bigger home this weekend, until he is old enough to be released. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

I will also be able to help babies if there is an emergency. I'm not licensed, but I can help out until a rehabber can be found and have caregivers available literally 24 hours a day.

Thanks!
Kim C. (Crabby)

Skul
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Love the log-in name.:rotfl
How old do you think he is now?
You mentioned an age as found, but, not how long ago.

When in the reply area, scroll down to "manage attachments".
That is where you can add pix to upload.
Be carefull not to attach too large a photo.
Most of the ones in here run 600p to 900p wide.
If possible, also try to keep files size under 100k.
Smaller is even better.

Crabbyolebroad
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Skul!

We found him on July 16, so we have had him for over a month now. its hard to say how old he was, but when I found him, he was a little thing, eyes weren't open, ears still plastered to his head and no teeth. I'm actually wondering if he isn't the runt of the litter?

Now? His tail is getting fluffy, he is trying to balance himself on his hind legs, chatters up a storm at me when he hears my voice and loves to explore the yard when I take him out.

This pic was taken July 16 hours after I found him. My husband put him in his pocket to keep him warm.

Jackie in Tampa
08-26-2010, 09:40 AM
:Welcome :wave123 love the name too!:D

Skul
08-27-2010, 07:47 AM
From the size, I'd almost think he's a Foxer.
I see you figured out the picture thing.:D

Pointy Tale
08-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Crabbyolebroad—:wave123
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac99/PointyTale/Smileys/Welcome22.gif
Skittles is adorable! Any new pix?

Crabbyolebroad
08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi again all!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Here's a pic of Skittles a week after I found him. The second one, he was sleeping on his back a week or so later. And I thought it was adorable!

mattnjeana
08-27-2010, 05:43 PM
awww he looks very much like my little Roo...check out my hello on the same page and see her pics :) hes so adorable!!!!

Skul
08-27-2010, 07:08 PM
TEEFS!!!
And a Foxer to boot!:wahoo

Ronda
08-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Welcome... you have a really cute little one there :wave123

island rehabber
08-28-2010, 06:18 AM
:Welcome from another crabby ol' broad, sometimes :D
Skittles is a beautiful little foxer boy! What have you been feeding him? We have tons of info on nutrition and good squirrel health here....and since he's a foxer he will be a BIG dude by the time he's ready for the wild. :thumbsup

Crabbyolebroad
08-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi all!

I never gave thought to him being a fox squirrel....but, being in Kansas, it makes sense. Plus, looking at the other squirrels that come around to feed, now that I think about it, they are pretty big.

Anyway, he gets pear slices (which he loves), grapes (which he loves even more), bananas, he has a few primate biscuits, a mineral block, access to a few different nuts and seeds, and he is on Esbilac (yeah I read about the problems, but he is doing so well) mixed with baby bananas and calcium with vitamin D. He will be getting a water bottle this week and I give him Pedialyte every so often for good measure. He has a few chew toys and he goes outside with either me or my husband at least twice a day. Oh and I try to give him greens etc.

The funniest was when he tried a blackberry. OMG he was wearing more than he ate! I should have gotten a pic, but then again, I was wearing more than he ate too.

Josephina
08-28-2010, 11:51 AM
He looks like a grey fox.

He may have been pushed out of the nest by his hungry siblings while waiting for the mom.

If he has trouble eating veggies, you may want to try baby food versions, but stuff that isn't sweetened. Try organic peas.

Keep him warm!

Sounds like you're doing a good job!

Crabbyolebroad
08-30-2010, 12:40 PM
You guys are all so nice! Especially to a newbie! Just came back inside after having Skittles out for a bit. The bluejays started screaming up a storm so I came back in cause that means 1 of the 2 hawks is around our yard. I'm not taking any chances. Sure enough, I saw the bigger one sitting in one of our crabapple trees. So, Skittles was fed and washed up and is now snoozing in his fleece nest.

I have to confess..I had anxiety attacks right after I found Skittles when I heard a lawn mower. The thought of him getting run over made me panic. Is that weird?

Here's 2 more pics taken yesterday. One of them is right after he got done eating and was going to get washed up.

Skul
08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Being a little older, and eating the solid foods greatly reduces chances of
any problems that may result from feeding Isbilac.
Give him one of those Crabapples, see what happens.:D

Ultra Peepi
09-05-2010, 03:25 PM
:Welcome skittles is toooo cute!