PDA

View Full Version : 4 week old not maintaining body temperature?

MsOakley
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this? She's fine while on heating pad in box but after just a few minutes out she's cool to the touch. No other health issues. I asked the wildlife center's director and she had never heard of it. Could use some brain power here. Thanks all.

island rehabber
08-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I have had this before, twice. In both cases the babies grew up runty but strong and were released. I had to make sure I had a warmed fleece square to wrap around them during feeding, then back on the heat. I did not put them in the "poopy box" with the others when they got older because since the box was unheated they would instantly curl up into balls....frozen balls :shakehead. Eventually (8-9 wks old) they became normal and I finally shut off their heating pad.

lelliott
08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I have had this before, twice. In both cases the babies grew up runty but strong and were released. I had to make sure I had a warmed fleece square to wrap around them during feeding, then back on the heat. I did not put them in the "poopy box" with the others when they got older because since the box was unheated they would instantly curl up into balls....frozen balls :shakehead. Eventually (8-9 wks old) they became normal and I finally shut off their heating pad.

My little guy is like this as well, but I thought it was normal (my first squirrel).. Interesting...