PDA

View Full Version : changing to Fox Valley

hlforumhl
08-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I've been raising a baby that is on KMR because that is the only thing available. The Fox Valley formula arrived today. How should I change her onto it? Should I mix half KMR and half Fox Valley, or mix the Fox Valley formula with extra water for the first few times? Please give me some advice.

CritterMom
08-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Mix FV at 2.5 parts water / 1 part powder. Transition gradually - 3/4 KMR and 1/4 FV for a feeding or two, then 50/50, then 75/25 - you get it. Take enough time at each stage to make sure poops are happening and you aren't seeing bloat.

You will have to feed a little less frequently with the FV - it digests more slowly, Make sure one meal is digested before giving the next.

hlforumhl
08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
How long should I stay at each percentage? A full day each, or a few feedings each?

Kristal
08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
The people at the rehab center told me to change by 25% per day. I guess you cannot go wrong with being more careful, on the other hand fox valley seems to be the ONLY thing that rehabbers on the web agree about, i.e. that it is healthy and inoffensive to squirrels. Just make sure their poops are coming out firm, I guess.

island rehabber
08-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Just my two cents: I get them up to full strength FV in one day, assuming there are at least 4 feedings in that day. I have never, ever had a problem in the 2.5 years I've used Fox Valley.

hlforumhl
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Does the Fox Valley powder need to be refrigerated like the KMR powder?

island rehabber
08-19-2010, 08:41 AM
ABSOLUTELY. I keep mine in the freezer, and just scoop out a couple of days' worth to keep in a Ziploc in the fridge.

hlforumhl
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
I know that I should only proceed with changing when the babie's poops are solid, but none of her poops are solid. Is this because KMR is not the right formula? I thought that I was overfeeding her, but she is 4 weeks old and eating 4cc at each meal spread 3.5 hours apart.

island rehabber
08-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I know that I should only proceed with changing when the babie's poops are solid, but none of her poops are solid. Is this because KMR is not the right formula? I thought that I was overfeeding her, but she is 4 weeks old and eating 4cc at each meal spread 3.5 hours apart.
It's the KMR.
Give her one feeding of Pedialyte or other hydrating solution (Lactated Ringers...Electro-Stat.,..homemade Pedialyte). Then begin with half & half KMR/Fox Valley. Next feeding, 3/4 FV and 1/4 KMR. Next feeding she's on all FV and her poops should be firming up. :thumbsup

WITH THE FOX VALLEY: try going 4hrs between. 3.5 is too frequent when feeding FV to a 4-wk-old.

hlforumhl
08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks soo much for the info...couldn't find it anywhere on the internet. One more question. How risky is it to raise a baby squirrel? I have had her a few days and she seems fine other than the loose poop. I keep reading things, though, about so many complications that people ran into. How frequently do these complications arrise? What would you say the percentage of baby squirrels survival rate when bottle fed?

Exie
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I think it depends on the baby.. If you're a first time rehabber it'll be easier on you if you got a healthy one to began with. But they can change in a matter of seconds, in just the past 3days me and my little guy have beat diarrhea and him not wanting to eat, but my boy is a pinky, which is a whole other ball field. Yours is 4 weeks and seemingly healthy, (Other than the loose poops, which are from what you were feeding it) I think its safe to say it'll be just fine, but thats not a 100% kinda thing. Just be ready to do what you have to do, stay up all night, push fluids, MAKE him eat, give him up to someone who can do better, ect.

If your willing to do whatever it takes to keep him alive then the chances are much higher.

NOW, where are the pics?!