PDA

View Full Version : So what to expect?

Kristal
08-17-2010, 02:00 PM
I have had the little guys for coming up on one week, now, and I am wondering what to expect. The girl is probably approaching 4 weeks of age and the foster brothers are probably a bit less than a week younger than her.

I have been getting my dogs used to them at each feeding, and I let my younger dog stay in the same room while I was feeding them for the first time today. He is part terrier and has an impressive hunting instinct, so I have been careful about doing this. He is definitely jealous, but I reward him for his patience. He even gives the squirrels little kisses sometimes. The older one is a german shepherd, and he is already bored with them. He is more stoic and self possessed than the younger one.

I am still worried about what will happen when they are running around. Perhaps the scurrying will excite Feisty's prey instinct. I am sure it will, but hopefully the training will kick in before he acts. He loves to play, too, so there is at least an equal chance that they will become great friends. He is just so strong, is the thing.

These squirrels were unplanned, and I don't have a cage. I will have to look for a second hand one, I guess. I don't know what size I should get for four squirrels, or what type of cage is best. Their eyes should be opening in the next week or two. Do they start to become active right away? What is their typical course of development as to how much they play and so on?

Right now they are sleeping, mostly, and it is easy to keep them in the picnic basket. But they are growing so fast and getting so strong that I cannot help but think that it won't be long before I have squirrels overhead and underfoot. Do they try to escape? should I let them wander a bit? Is it possible to put them in their cage when I go out? Will they figure out how to open it on their own? What should I expect?

CritterMom
08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I have to tell you that mixing dogs and squirrels is really not a good idea. Not only is it filled with danger for the squirrel, but they should not be taught that dogs are their friends, or they will go right up to them after they are released. Even if you have the best trained dogs on the planet, you cannot guarantee that EVERY dog will act that way. I just cannot express strongly enough what a bad idea this is on many fronts. Honestly, they shouldn't even see YOU interacting with the dogs - you are their parent, and they take cues from your behavior. Can you keep the babies in a room that can be secured from the dogs?

Craigs list is a good place to look for cheap cages. Another option is to turn them over to a rehabber, either now, to raise and later release, or when they are beginning to get really active, which will be real soon.

Kristal
08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I am only raising them because the rehab center does not overwinter adult squirrels. I have searched pretty thoroughly, and this is my only option. I would just like to know what I should expect and how to make the best of the situation, including what the best type of cage is and how big it should be for four squirrels. I will probably release them in parc lafontaine or else in my back yard. The squirrels in parc lafontaine are tame enough to be fed by hand and dogs are almost always on leashes there, so that seems like a good bet for a hand reared squirrel.

CritterMom
08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow. Overwintering 4. You have quite a winter ahead of you. We have a member who did three up there last year and it was a challenge, to say the least - they had a room of the house. 4 squirrels need a LOT of room...

Kristal
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Sigh, yes, thank you.... I am already anticipating that. I am looking on craigslist for a cage today, and I would like to know what I should be looking for... if not what I should expect in the coming weeks.

CritterMom
08-17-2010, 03:03 PM
You want the largest cage you can find but you need to take care with the bar openings. 1/2" is best. Heads can get stuck, and when they run across the bars they can stick a foot through larger bar openings and break a leg. You may wind up building something. Use 1/2" hardware cloth for the wire if you do.

They are still in the eat/poop/sleep phase. At 6 weeks they will start wanting to peek around. Bear in mind that mama would have their furry butts restricted to home until they are quite old - 10+ weeks - so don't push them. They need to stay in their container for now.

virgo062
08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
When I raised my four I could not get them out of the house fast enough:osnap get ready is all I can add:devil

Kristal
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
How about a dog cage like this:

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/for/1899846355.html

are the openings between the bars too big?

Ronda
08-18-2010, 04:45 AM
the spacing on the dog cage are way too big, and the cage its self is too small for 4 squirrels....i have only one grey, and she is in a 3' wide x 2' feet deep x 5' tall cage-- and that is too small to leave her in alot-- she spends lots of time outside the cage. As far as the dogs go... very very bad idea to introduce them to each other..especially since these squirrels are to be released. They need to fear dogs and cats, not see them as safe to be near...the same goes with people, squirrels that are being released need to have limited human interaction so that they will not approach people looking for food or playtime. People get freaked out when squirrels jump on them.. the squirrels bite or scratch...and then very bad things happen to the squirrel :(

It is wonderful that you are willing to overwinter these guys...but be prepared to spend good deal of time and expense.. food and cagewise.
Be sure you gather wild foods and tree limbs from the area they will be released in, they will need to be familiar with the scents and tastes they will live with in the wild.
Good luck with your babies!

Kristal
08-18-2010, 04:57 AM
The trouble with my dog is his prey drive. Unless he gets accustomed to them now, he will certainly go after them later. He is clever and agile enough to turn door knobs and jump fences, too, so I really have to make sure he accepts them, else I am sure to come home to a disaster one day. Also, the squirrels in parc mont royal and parc lafontaine are quite tame, as are the birds. Anyone patient enough could feed the animals there literally from their hands. I know it is not an ideal situation, but I am going to do the best I can.

astra
08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
It's not about the dog, it's about the squirrels. Approaching some humans for food in parks and considering humans friends are two different things. Moreover, considering dogs/cats safe and friendly is totally opposite from sharing the same lawn in a park. Wild squirrels, even though they might appear rather friendly, are always on guard. Especially, if there are dogs being walked in parks, and even if they don't scatter up a tree when a dog is being walked in a park, it's not because they trust the dog, it's because they need to forage too, after all. So they take their chances, keep the distance and are always, always on guard.
Years and years of rehab experience and reseach have proved that predators and prey should not become "friends" because if they do, the prey animal's death, resulting from its lack of fear of its preditors, will be just a matter of time (and a rather short time at that).
So, it's better to do whatever has to be done to make those door knobs "unturnable" for the dog. Rehabbed squirrels ( and prey animals in general) lack and will have to learn/acquire quite a few necessary instincts and skills in the wild as it is. No need to make it even more difficult for them.