PDA

View Full Version : ~+~ Lil Miss Booger Nose ~+~

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 06:47 PM
So my little Willow has a boogery nose. She finished her treatment for an upper respiratory infection a week ago today after being on Sulfatrim for ten days. Theyve now been on metro for their giardia/bad tummy bugs for about 3 or 4 days. I was wondering why shes just now expelling boogers and if theres any leftover bacteria from the URI, if the metro will take care of it, or if I should put her on sulfatrim again? Is that even safely combined with metro? I just feel so bad for her when i go to get her for a feeding and her nose is covered in gobs of milk-snot. =(

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
bump

gs1
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
well... i hope that someone answers ....:)

sounds awful ... can they be pulled off gently ... maybe a warm washcloth?

....bumping this up too.....:)

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 08:27 PM
well... i hope that someone answers ....:)

sounds awful ... can they be pulled off gently ... maybe a warm washcloth?

....bumping this up too.....:)

thank you - me too! lol

ive been able to clean them off without any problems

i just feel bad for her and want to make sure im doing everything i can

gs1
08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
:)

look in this thread... danielle/runestones has something that sucks boogers out of human babies noses ... maybe it will help with your baby ....

i don't know why they're there but i think it's a great idea to get out whatever you can safely and without pain ... so no pulling - they're not worth a bloody nose....

:grouphug

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23904

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
:)

look in this thread... danielle/runestones has something that sucks boogers out of human babies noses ... maybe it will help with your baby ....

i don't know why they're there but i think it's a great idea to get out whatever you can safely and without pain ... so no pulling - they're not worth a bloody nose....

:grouphug

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23904

Ive read that you can use them but I think their little nostrils are just too small!

atlantasquirrelgirl
08-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Just making sure that they are not aspirating when they eat. Are you using a nipple yet? Are they sometimes sneezing or blowing milk bubbles out of their noses when they eat?

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Just making sure that they are not aspirating when they eat. Are you using a nipple yet? Are they sometimes sneezing or blowing milk bubbles out of their noses when they eat?

She always sneezes and blows milk bubbles out her nose when she eats - we maybe get one or two feedings a day where she doesnt. Shes always been like this, doesnt matter how slowly I feed her. Her sister has never done it.

I havent been able to get the nipples yet - I was going to order them when I got back home to MN (which was going to be today) but I ended up having at interview today and so am unsure when to have them shipped because Im not sure how long Im going to be here now (possible/probably 2nd interview and job shadowing).

atlantasquirrelgirl
08-13-2010, 10:42 PM
They should never blow bubbles out the nose. That means it is getting in their lungs, and they can develop aspirational pnemonia. What size syrenge are you using? If you go to a smaller syrenge; it will take longer to feed, but reduce the chance of aspirating.

I'll mail you a nipple to your current address, go ahead and order them to be shipped to your other address. Then you'll have nipples at both addresses. PM me with your current address.

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 10:52 PM
They should never blow bubbles out the nose. That means it is getting in their lungs, and they can develop aspirational pnemonia. What size syrenge are you using? If you go to a smaller syrenge; it will take longer to feed, but reduce the chance of aspirating.

I'll mail you a nipple to your current address, go ahead and order them to be shipped to your other address. Then you'll have nipples at both addresses. PM me with your current address.

Im using a 1cc syringe lol - i dont dont if squirrels have tonsils - but if they do, i dont think she has hers =/

atlantasquirrelgirl
08-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Are you having to squirt the milk in her mouth, or is she drawing it out on her own?

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Are you having to squirt the milk in her mouth, or is she drawing it out on her own?

a combo of both - if i have to squirt, i only do a tiny bit and only if her mouth is empty of any formula

atlantasquirrelgirl
08-13-2010, 11:17 PM
OK, when you get the nipple, they should draw the milk out on their own. You will only need to apply gentle pressure to the plunger. You also want to get the air bubbles out, as this will give them gas/bloat.

When they get older and draw harder, they can get vigorous in eating and draw too much, which will also aspirate them. You can then add a dash of rice cereal to their formula to help thicken it up. It gives them a little more sustenance, and also makes it harder for them to draw it out so quickly. This usually occurs when their eyes open.

Last thing, make sure to clean the syrenge and nipple with antibacterial soap, and each night, boil them. Never store the plunger inside the syrenge. They've had enough tummy trouble without adding a bacterial problem :thumbsup

spykitten01
08-13-2010, 11:22 PM
sounds like a plan! their eyes just opened monday and tuesday so maybe i should get a little rice cereal when the nipple arrives =)

also, i thoroughly rinse everything in scalding hot water before AND after every feeding - absolutely everything - and a VERY thorough hand washing

im so glad their tummies are finally working as they should - i even had to give them some gas drops due to slight constipated - MUCH rather have that than that horrible stinky slime poop!