PDA

View Full Version : Hey, got a baby squirrel =)

Slacs
08-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I got a text from my dad about a baby squirrel. I have experience raising infant rodents, having raised two rats (domestic!) myself.
Basically I just used how I raised the rats as a guideline, but I am trying to recheck myself on that matter. See, I research (the real stuff,with things like, how much fat is in rat milk and we'll compare from there) and a lot of things I have discovered makes me very wary about "what everyone knows." (which is usually wrong)
So I have been feeding him soy infant formula every 4 hours, because soy infant formula is the closest for rats but now I am rechecking this decision. If I could perhaps be pointed to what squirrel milk contains...
I do not want to use cow milk, or goat's milk, or cat or dog, I don't want to use something that came from an actual animal. For a few reasons, first being it's rather counterintuitive, second I don't like the idea of buying something that causes the suffering of another animal (i.e milk is taken from dairy cows, the calves are taken away to become veal calves because they drink "the farmer's" milk.)
Then again, I don't want this little guy to just die, so I guess what I'm asking for is either a direct real confirmation whether the soy infant formula is inadequate (no relaying information you just heard, I need a real thought out reason, let's get scientific) or someway to use actual animal milk as little as possible.
The baby squirrel is about 4 weeks old, fully furred, bottom teeth came in, front teeth are on their way. Ears fully formed but eyes are closed. Oh, and he is a grey squirrel and I am fairly sure he is a boy. He's eliminating when stimulated, which you know, there will never be a time in your life when you're happier to see squirrel tolieting. :bowdown
Oh, I also used almond milk and avocado blended with the formula (psh, the controversy around avocado now..) for the ratties, but I've been holding off for the squirrel.
Right right, I should go introduce myself, to the introduction forum!

island rehabber
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Slacs, I have three words for you.

"Welcome" ,

and "FOX VALLEY".

Forget the milk, forget the rat food, forget the fat content and the organic chemistry you need to get FOX VALLEY for that baby squirrel!

www.foxvalleynutrition.com.
Day One Formula for Squirrels 32/40 (for under 4 wks of age)....20/50 for 4+ weeks

Please don't try to re-invent the wheel. Some very very VERY smart people have developed this formula and it is the next best thing to mamma squirrel's milk.

Slacs
08-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Why?

CritterMom
08-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Because it's the best. Because it will help you succeed. Because he/she deserves the best. You may want to look into using it for your rats, too. Good stuff.

island rehabber
08-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Fox Valley is a world leader manufacturer of milk (formula) replacement for orphaned and injured wildlife.

Day One Formula milk replacers are species specific and all
play a unique role in feeding young animals. These products closely
match the unique composition of mother's milk, to assure
proper nutrition if mothers cannot, or will not, suckle their own.

Hundreds of rehabbers raising thousands of squirrels to release back into the wild have used it successfully. Years of research went into its development.

Slacs
08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry to say this is exactly what I was asking people not to do.
Now I am ordering the formula under the basis if I don't he might die, basically out of fear, this is wrong and holds back progress. I am trying to make decisions that are the best for all animals involved, I am trying to look past prejudices and baisedness to find truth and not what "everybody knows".
I glanced over the ingredients. Why does a squirrel need taurine? That is an amino acid needed by carnivores for proper vision and heart health. (has anyone ever wondered that? Is the point.)
I am quite sure that fox valley works well for squirrels, I am not doubting anyone's word on it. I'm not arguing for the infant soy formula. I am trying to find a way in regards to proper nutrition without harming any animal and it seems like my observation (that all animals are equal) are not being respected and are being disregarded, with the standard implement of implied arrogance (arrogance being implied toward my character, not that anyone is being arrogant to me) and fear.
So, it's time for me to get off the computer for now, I'll be taking the fox formula ratios and start comparing them. ttyl.

nnmaru1
08-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Why don’t you just get it what it needs.

Do you want to help the baby or not? No offense, but your sentiments about farm animals will do the little critter no good… he needs help now.
Soy milk – are you serious? That is supposed to be natural for an infant squirrel how? The squirrels have never encounter soy in nature, and soy/tofu is on the *do not feed* list.

Any wildlife rehabber reference I looked at, states *Never feed the babies any kind of cow’s milk or soymilk. These milks are quick killers for wildlife*.

We’re not asking you to feed him veal parmesan :) Please, get him Fox Valley or at least Esbilac, or look up “Jackie’s formula” on this board.
He doesn't have a lot of time.

p.s I just want to add that I love all animals, is an ASPCA and a small local animal charity donor and I agree that many farm animals including milk cows, are kept in poor conditions. I commends you for having convictins, but again, the baby needs an appropriate animal full-fat formula.

tyrose
08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry that you took what seemed like well intentioned opinion as a personal assault. What i just read didnt seem disrespectful at all. These people on this forum are passionate, not just for squirrels but for all living creatures. There are many here who raise all sorts of animals. The advice about Fox Valley was givin with all good intentiions for the well being of the animal and believe me there are many many rehabbers here who have had wonderful success with Fox Valley. I'm not sure what your intent was when you posted here, almost as if you were looking for disagreement.... which is very sad because I have found the people on this board to be giving and helpful and open to new information. I have monitored stories of people on this board traveling hundreds of miles to rescue a animal. These are not close minded people looking to dictate or judge, just the opposite, they are open, loving people. You have judged unfairly here.

lizharrell1
08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
The last time I checked, acorns have taurine in them. Taurine is an essential amino acid. It helps to regulate the heartbeat, maintain cell membranes etc. The goal of a GOOD milk replacer is to try to match as closely as possible the nutrients that mama squirrel would be providing her babies with in the wild. So animal researchers and developers have closely studied the nutritional requirements of squirrels and have created milk replacers that most closely resemble mother squirrel's milk. I think the most important thing for your little one is to do what is PROVEN to be in the best interest of the baby. This is not the time for guesswork or debate. No animals were harmed or disrespected in the making of the Fox Valley formula. Ideally, the baby would still be with it's mother, but since this is an imperfect world it is necessary for you to intervene and do what is best for the baby. None of us on this board claim to know everything and for a lot of people there has been plenty of trial and error....but we DO know what has been proven to work. If you truly care about the baby then I would suggest putting the debate to rest for now. Most people come to this board seeking answers of the immediate type, such as what to feed, how much to feed, how old is baby, is baby sick, etc. Don't think I have ever seen someone come here saying "I want to know what to feed, but you also have to PROVE WHY it is the proper thing to feed". This isn't a science experiment....all of us on this Board are PASSIONATE about the lives we care for and set free. I hope you are too.

Ardilla
08-13-2010, 05:56 PM
No disrepect, but if you want that baby to thrive it needs something as close to possible to it's mother's milk, and that would be Fox Valley.

island rehabber
08-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Those who come here looking for advice because they love and want to rescue squirrels are welcomed and nearly always satisfied.

Those who come looking to self-aggrandize....pontificate......politicize....well, they don't stay here long either by their own choice, or ours.

gs1
08-14-2010, 06:12 PM
:D wow... things got heated in here quickly....

um...yes it's true that decisions shouldn't be made based on fear and pressure.

but... we're talking about probably 1000's of squirrels raised here....

when there's a mistake made or a problem ... it's very quickly fixed even if it means an about face over something we've been doing for years.

one thing that i like is that you're a vegan ... i'm trying to be one too ... and many others on this site... veganism is great for human beings... but squirrels can't be vegans.... they're omnivores... my wild ones eat bugs and baby frogs and baby birds and all sorts of little animals that i don't want to think about.

so please ... try to work with us trying to work with you ... all of us to help jorgie become a great big cheeky little squirrel he's meant to be.

(again... squirrels can't be vegans.... rabbits are vegans... but not squirrels :D )

:thumbsup :Welcome