PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

RemysMom
08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Hello all! So glad I found this site. I was looking on the internet for the average life span of squirrels in captivity and found this site. I'm happy to say that I have a very happy and healthy 3 year old squirrel. He gets much needed love and attention every single day. He's fed a variety of fresh fruits and veggies daily, also a variety of nuts (on occasion). Any advice is much appreciated when it comes to his nutritional needs! Glad to know there are others out there that love squirrels as much as I do!mjs

Skul
08-08-2010, 07:13 PM
That's a nice looking little boy.
A couple things you might consider.
Try giving him a fresh mushroom if you haven't in the past.
They supply vitamin D.
Try giving him some un-filtered sunlight as often as possible. (more vitamin D)
To be honest, you must be doing something right for him to still be healthy.:thumbsup
We always love photos, and when you get a chance, start a thread in the
Gray Squirrel forum.:)

Ratman
08-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi and welcome to TSB! The longest I've ever heard of is 11 years....I'm sitting here typing with a 4 week old in my lap whose eyes are not open yet.

We should be seeing little eyes very soon :)

You'll learn allot on this board, I am no expert at squirrels though I have re-habbed 2 and one my way to 3.

I learn something new here everytime I visit this board, these people are the BEST!

:Welcome

Hello all! So glad I found this site. I was looking on the internet for the average life span of squirrels in captivity and found this site. I'm happy to say that I have a very happy and healthy 3 year old squirrel. He gets much needed love and attention every single day. He's fed a variety of fresh fruits and veggies daily, also a variety of nuts (on occasion). Any advice is much appreciated when it comes to his nutritional needs! Glad to know there are others out there that love squirrels as much as I do!mjs

Kelly Brady
08-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Well did you ever come to the right place:Welcome

Your Remy is adorable !!!!!!!!! This is a wonderful place with squirrel loving people. So glad your here.

There is a lot of good advice to be found on nutrition here but in a word my advice is Henry's Healthys Blocks. Everything a squirrel needs in a day. Under our nutrition thread you will find a place to buy them or make them yourself.:D

Can't wait to see more pics.

RemysMom
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Thank you soooo much! He does have a large cage outside with a huge branch that we built for him. Unfortunately it is sooooo hot right now, and with no shade in his enclosure I worry about the heat. Just yesterday I gave him my fuzzy (mink like) hat that is just like a mini doggie bed.:crazy He loves it! I have a pic of him lying in it with all four legs straigt up in the air! I'll have to post it. Can't wait to see all of the other posts on this site.
Thanks!

mpetys
08-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Thank you soooo much! He does have a large cage outside with a huge branch that we built for him. Unfortunately it is sooooo hot right now, and with no shade in his enclosure I worry about the heat. Just yesterday I gave him my fuzzy (mink like) hat that is just like a mini doggie bed.:crazy He loves it! I have a pic of him lying in it with all four legs straigt up in the air! I'll have to post it. Can't wait to see all of the other posts on this site.
Thanks!

Hi RemysMom. Your Remy is adorable. I'm so glad you found this site. I couldn't imagine having a squirrel and not having this board to visit. I have a 7 month old male (his name is MonkeyButt). The wonderful folks on this board have walked me through every step with him.

Read everything you can on the Nutrition section. I go back and try to read lots of old postings as you never know what good bit of info you might find. I do recommend the Henry's Healthy Blocks. I started out purchasing them, ready made but recently have made a few batches on my own and he loves them. Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21233
The website to purchase them is www.henryspets.com. If you want to make them yourself, the website has a vitamin package that has all the vitamins in it.

When MonkeyButt was smaller, I had a small child's fleece hat that he loved to snuggle up in. I can't wait til you post more pictures of Remy!

I don't blame you for being concerned about putting Remy out in his outdoor cage. MonkeyButt does not have an outdoor cage yet, but I just roll his indoor cage out the front door. The front of my house faces the east so if I take him outside in the afternoon, the sun has already passed over the house. It is still hot outside but there is usually a breeze. Still, I set my alarm on my cell phone for 15 minutes and check on him just to make sure conditions are the same. I have one of those EZ up tents that I thought about digging out of storage so I can put that up and roll his cage out under it both to keep sun/heat off but with our Florida afternoon thunderstorms, it would keep him from getting caught in a downpour!

Welcome and I look forward to hearing more about Remy. How he came into your life and such. As you have a healthy 3 year old squirrel, you can help those of us who have younger squirrels; letting us know any ups and downs you may have gone through with Remy!

Michele in Tampa

Jackie in Tampa
08-09-2010, 06:28 AM
:Welcome :wave123

Ronda
08-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi and welcome... you have a beautiful squirrel!

Ultra Peepi
08-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi! That is an adorable friend u have there!:Welcome

RemysMom
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi again!
(to Skul) You should have seen the look I got when I tried to give him a mushroom! :shakehead Lol. At least I can use them in my salad. :rotfl His absolute favorite is sweet potatoes. I have to say that having a squirrel has definitely improved MY diet!
:thankyou
Thanks again guys!

gs1
08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
:D :Welcome

any way of getting shade in his enclosure? on his enclosure? ...maybe shade cloth something that would let the hot air out but shade in???

i'm not sure how tall the enclosure is ... because i'd guess you wouldn't want to trap any heat inside....

I'm concerned because we've (tsb) have had some squirrels die of heat stroke.

I have to say he looks adorably happy and very confident too ... i guess he rules the roost?

beautiful little fellow....

if he doesn't have shade then i'd guess he's getting vitamin d from the sun? which is excellent but he'll really need some shade ...

love the image of him in his um..your hat ... :)

RemysMom
08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
This is Remy in his outdoor cage (yes, he is eating a french fry!). It's about 7 feet tall. We live in a condo and it is fenced in with a patio directly overhead, so he's not directly in the sun at all times when in his outdoor cage, but at times it is soooo hot. I've been worried about putting him outside ever since he seemed a little lethargic after being in the sun too long. My boyfriend said it was because he is an "inside" squirrel, lol. Sorry to hear about the heat strokes, that's what I am so worried about. Maybe I can just keep the outside time to a minimum. I even go so far as to put ice cubes in his water!