PDA

View Full Version : babies of different litters/ages

shotzee
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I got a call from someone with 3 babies from 2 different litters- 2 siblings m/f aprox 3 weeks old and 1 female aprox 1 week old. (all three from land clearing:confused: ) I took them in and have had them for a week now all three in the same heated cage since day 1. Now the 2 older ones are about to open their eyes and are getting more mobile. The little girl seems to just follow her new bro and sis and they all cuddle together when asleep. My question is will they continue to bond and stay safely together or will the baby be at risk of the older 2 or should they be ok since they have been together from such a early age? What behavior should I look for? Thanks

Shotzee

nutz4squirls
03-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Shotzee, I would try to keep them together, the warmth and companionship is good for all the squirrels. You do need to keep an eye on the little one. With the other two being a couple weeks older they'll start playing and eating much sooner and may rough house with the little one to much. The season is very early and chances are you'll get another one to put in with the little guy before he opens his eyes. As long as everyone is safe than I would keep them together. Nutz (Chris)
www.squirrelsandmore.com

thundersquirrel
03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Aww those are adorable!
I think they'll be fine together. At this age, I don't think they'll be aggressive. I once had three red squirrels in a similar situation; two of the same age, and one younger one. The youngest one was the strongest and most energetic of them all! We nicknamed him Champion.

Also keep an eye on the boys' penises. When babies are at the nursing age, they sometimes discover warm little appendages on each other that give them liquid, much like a nipple would. Sometimes the other babies will suck on their sibling's penis so much, it becomes swollen and sore.
And another thing, are you peeing and pooping the babies?
Sorry, maybe you already know all this.
stay nutty :multi
-thundersquirrel

MissDolittle
03-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Last year I had 6 from 3 different litters, came all in within a week.
First litter was about 5 weeks, second litter 3 weeks, third was a single
one a bit older than a week. Once I was satisfied that they have nothing
they can catch from each other, I put them all together. 2 males and 4
females.

Nothing ever happened. I released 5 of them together. First I tried to
release the oldest ones first..no go, they wouldn't leave the enclosure,
was always open, but no, they sat by the smaller enclosure with the
smaller ones and wouldn't budge. Once the younger ones were ready,
they all went...and still sticking around here. I have 2 huge oak trees
in my yard, they just love it.

The 6th squirrel that I didn't release, if you haven't stumbled over my
posts about Missy...she was partially paralyzed and lives with a vet now.

But ya, keep an eye on the lil one, this was the first time I encountered
multiple litters in the 4 years I'm doing this, maybe I was just lucky.

shotzee
03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I have rehabbed several single squirrels before, but never had more than one at the same time, so I didn't know quite what to expect. Yea, Thundersquirrel, I have seen them try to suck on each others feet, but soon as they realize no food, its over.haha. And pottying is about automatic now with these guys, (I'm a proud mama, I think there quite advanced for their age,:thumbsup haha) Seriously though, I am really enjoying these three little guys, and I hope they continue to grow and thrive so they can become sucessfull members of the sqiurrel society.

Shotzee

FosterMom
03-24-2006, 10:48 PM
As long as they are close in age such as yours are they should all be fine together.Actually it is best for them...for the warmth and the companionship.Just keep an eye on the smaller one just to make sure that it is doing alright as a precautionary measure.

Momma Squirrel
03-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Shotzee haven't heard from you on those 3 little squirrels. How are they doing?

shotzee
03-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey Momma Squirrrel and all.

They are doing great!! I have been gone on a cruise with my son's SR class for a week and just now getting back. I had to leave them with a baby sitter all week and missed them terribly. I couldn't believe how much they had grown. I was so excited when I went to pick them up, the sitter was feeding the little girl, so I picked up the little boy, and the baby girl and was holding them, the little girl heard me and stopped eating, started wiggling to get loose and came to me and snuggled up to my neck. It made my day. :sunshine I'll send pictures soon.

Shotzee

Momma Squirrel
03-26-2006, 05:14 PM
That is great, was just concerned. Look forward to seeing the pictures. They just melt your heart, who says all they care about is food. I really think they bond with you and recognize your voice. They want attention just as humans or other animals do. It's great having squirrels in your life:crazy