PDA

View Full Version : So about acorns

CritterMom
08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
We are having a banner year for acorns up here this year (bad news - means a cold winter, or so they say. We had almost none last year and it was a really warm, dry winter). The ones in my yard are really nice, big ones - an inch in each direction. I can pick up a big bunch 3 or 4 times a day right off the driveway.

Ever since participating in a "medical intervention" on here a while ago that turned out to be the result of aflatoxin in the acorns, I decided I didn't want to attempt drying them.

Has anyone ever frozen acorns? Do they freeze okay? Some things don't - wondering if they thaw as slime. These are bright green acorns we are talking about, off the tree for a couple hours max. Sure would be nice to have some around.

Jackie in Tampa
08-05-2010, 08:54 PM
freezer is perfect...

crazysquirrels
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
MY father in law keep his in the attic in a wire basket. They stay good for a long time like that.

Ardilla
08-06-2010, 12:40 AM
I freeze mine.

mainemargaret
08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I froze a bunch last year and they were fine until I ran out in June. I'm hoping for another mild Maine winter, CritterMom!

island rehabber
08-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I froze a big bunch last year and Buddie has been enjoying acornsicles all summer so far. Every afternoon she gets a couple. :)

michelle7749
08-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Just curious if anyone knows how to tell a "good" acorn from a "bad" one. My little guy E.T. will pick through them until he finds just the right one...is there a difference?

There are several trees at work that have tons of acorns below them and I want to be able to pick "good" ones for E.T. if anyone knows how.
Thanks!
Michelle:Squirrel

CritterMom
08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I only pick green ones with no holes or splits. I have about 5 pounds frozen!

Squirrely Steve
08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I freeze mine too. :)
I Just ran out of Chucks from last year in last part of July.
I think they thaw out good. :thumbsup
Just got to watch they don't hide them around the house and they get bad.
Chuck used to bury some in the plants pots around the house.
not good....bad smell....bad nuts :shakehead

mugzeezma
08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
We are having a banner year for acorns up here this year (bad news - means a cold winter, or so they say. We had almost none last year and it was a really warm, dry winter). The ones in my yard are really nice, big ones - an inch in each direction. I can pick up a big bunch 3 or 4 times a day right off the driveway.

Ever since participating in a "medical intervention" on here a while ago that turned out to be the result of aflatoxin in the acorns, I decided I didn't want to attempt drying them.

Has anyone ever frozen acorns? Do they freeze okay? Some things don't - wondering if they thaw as slime. These are bright green acorns we are talking about, off the tree for a couple hours max. Sure would be nice to have some around.
I have to say
YES
they have to freeze okay because our fuzzy friends dig them out of the ground all year round...

Gina
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Are you suppose to feed them to them while green or let ripen to brown? Seems to me I read somewhere on TSB not to give green or too many green? Something like that.
Also, how many per day can they have?
We just had a nice little storm blow through and lots of small branches full of acorns fell as well as lots of individual acorns still with caps. I gathered a bunch and will freeze if they are good ones.

CritterMom
08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Are you suppose to feed them to them while green or let ripen to brown? Seems to me I read somewhere on TSB not to give green or too many green? Something like that.
Also, how many per day can they have?
We just had a nice little storm blow through and lots of small branches full of acorns fell as well as lots of individual acorns still with caps. I gathered a bunch and will freeze if they are good ones.

Don't know about that - the wilds seem to prefer the green ones - I see them doing their high wire act waaaaaaaaaaaay out at the tips of the branches trying to snag them while they are still growing.

I let him have a couple a day. They are a nut - but they have the best calcium to phosphorus ratio of any of them. And you get to run around and wipe up pink pee, too, so it's all good...

djarenspace9
08-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info!
I never knew it was ok to use the green ones, it's easier to collect them right off the tree.
I would always wait for them to be "ripe".

I too freeze my acorns and just take out enough for a few days or a week at a time.
I toss any that are cracked or look dry or old, they are usually stale.
Have to check they don't get moldy.
If you make sure they are clean and dry and bag them in a ziplock removing as much air before you freeze they will usually be good for many months.
I'm usually using the one's from last season up until now when I can start collecting new acorns.

Gina
08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't know about that - the wilds seem to prefer the green ones - I see them doing their high wire act waaaaaaaaaaaay out at the tips of the branches trying to snag them while they are still growing.

I let him have a couple a day. They are a nut - but they have the best calcium to phosphorus ratio of any of them. And you get to run around and wipe up pink pee, too, so it's all good...

:wahoo Pink Pee!!
I am somehow looking forward to seeing that!!
PS I got my order of shagbark hickory nuts in for the boys - can't wait to see them chomp them. Also put in an order of red oak acorns, Patrick says squirrels love em.

michelle7749
08-29-2010, 05:39 AM
I went out in the yard yesterday and tried finding some green acorns on my trees. There were some and I took them in and as I still had them in my hand, E.T. went nuts!

He tore into the green acorns like they were T-Bones :D Now I guess since I've found something that he really likes, I'll have to get a bucket and try to round up more for him.

Thanks for the info ya'll.
:thankyou

stosh2010
08-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Just curious if anyone knows how to tell a "good" acorn from a "bad" one. My little guy E.T. will pick through them until he finds just the right one...is there a difference?
Michelle:Squirrel
Maybe they are like POTATO CHIPS...ya know how you have to poke thru the bowl of chips, and find JUST tht RIGHT ONE ???
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

RiverRock
08-29-2010, 07:53 AM
For those of us that do not have acorn trees around is there a good place to get some or is anyone willing to share some?

michelle7749
08-29-2010, 07:29 PM
How much/many green acorns is tooo much? My little E.T. has gone stark crazy over them tonight!

I went out and picked about 15 small green acorns from the tree in our yard and last time I looked (a few minutes ago) he's still chomping on them.

I sure hope they don't make him sick....his pee hasn't turned pink as I've read happens, it's still yellow like what I figure normal pee to look like.

Ok ya'll, let me have your advice on this...oh, I ordered some of Henry's blocks and they're due to arrive about Wednesday or Thursday. I hope E.T. will like them :thinking

CritterMom
08-29-2010, 07:34 PM
All things in moderation. They are nuts, after all. I usually limit Mister P to a couple a day.

As for acorns...go to the "things for sale" thread and look down the page - there is a person who sells red oak acorns on there. I have purchased his hickory nuts and they are a HUGE favorite! I believe the website is www.acorno.com but that is just from memory...

michelle7749
08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks CritterMom! I'll sure keep the moderation thing in mind. Are the red oak acorns supposed to be better than live oak acorns?

All things in moderation. They are nuts, after all. I usually limit Mister P to a couple a day.

As for acorns...go to the "things for sale" thread and look down the page - there is a person who sells red oak acorns on there. I have purchased his hickory nuts and they are a HUGE favorite! I believe the website is www.acorno.com but that is just from memory...

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
For those of us that do not have acorn trees around is there a good place to get some or is anyone willing to share some?

Im staying away from acorns....only because we have no oak trees in our area. The squirrels here eat the "helicopter" off of Boxelder Maples among many other things. Being that I have foxers and they are quite bigger than greys or reds, I have seen the wild ones eating beetles....grasshoppers...and all kinds of tree buds. Check your area and keep watching to see what the squirrels in your area are eating. Im sure mine would LOVE acorns....but I dont want to start them on something they wont be able to find on their own. IMHO....I think it would confuse them when they are released. Just food for thought.

RiverRock
08-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Ya know that is a really good point! My baby is a fox squirrel and we dont have the acorn trees here either. I will search out what the natural food here is..thank you for that reat advice.

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Ya know that is a really good point! My baby is a fox squirrel and we dont have the acorn trees here either. I will search out what the natural food here is..thank you for that reat advice.

I know you have a foxer.....I've been excited about more members in our Foxy club all last night!!! I will be watching ur guy grow....*waves from Northern Dakotas* It would be interesting to compare how they winter in different climates. We will start getting snow here in another month and a half and I wonder with it being colder here if they will get thicker coats. Then again, I used to live in Oregon, and even though it didnt snow....that cold wet rain seeps right through your bones!! hmmmm...interesting....

RiverRock
08-30-2010, 10:12 AM
What do you mean doesnt snow??? LOL We get 3-4 feet a winter on average. I live in the northeastern desert area, we get frigid cold winters with temps well below freezing for 3-4 months most winters...and blistering HOT summers.

What are your conditions there were your foxys live?

jo_schmoe
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
What do you mean doesnt snow??? LOL We get 3-4 feet a winter on average. I live in the northeastern desert area, we get frigid cold winters with temps well below freezing for 3-4 months most winters...and blistering HOT summers.

What are your conditions there were your foxys live?

LMAO!!! My bad!!!! I lived in the Eugene area....no snow....just rain. My ignorance led me to assume that it was that way state wide....Now we need to find some foxers in a warmer climate....and compare!! Which leads to my next theory. Seems that foxers live in cold snowy areas.....I wonder if its a form survival as they have been hunted out of most areas in the US. Might explain the size difference as well.
Got some REALLY good info from Crittermom ( gawd I love that woman ) about acorns.....pass this to everyone you know that is acorn hunting.

"I know aflatoxins well - and a note: roasting does not necessarily kill the fungus. For this reason, I never give any type of peanuts to mine - birds are really just big lungs wrapped in feathers, so things like this will head downhill so quickly, as you know. Should you get another one, try subbing almonds - the shell is nice and crunchy and a little harder (but not much) to get into and no aflatoxin issues...

BTW, acorns picked off the ground are an excellent way to wind up with aflatoxin poisoning in squirrels - just an FYI." --CritterMom

Crabbyolebroad
09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi Jo,

Just wanted to say hi and I totally understand the winters up there..We moved to Kansas from Grand Forks, ND cause hubby finally retired from the Air Force 3 years ago. I swear it was colder in North Dakota than Chicago or Alaska!

mugzeezma
09-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi Jo,

Just wanted to say hi and I totally understand the winters up there..We moved to Kansas from Grand Forks, ND cause hubby finally retired from the Air Force 3 years ago. I swear it was colder in North Dakota than Chicago or Alaska!
No need to swear on it cuz IT IS COLDER!!!
a friend fo mine lives in MT...pretty comparable

jo_schmoe
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi Jo,

Im 70 miles from Grand Forks....And yes....winters here are brutal. ( right by the Oscar Zero Missle Silo )

Cejemere
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I live in CT and my babies spend their days eating acorns...we have tons of trees that drop them all the time. So is them eating acorns and a few leaves bad for them? I still give them their normal daily diet when they come inside, but when they are outside they decide what they want to eat. The other squirrels eat acorns all day long too...and bury them or course.

Cejemere
09-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh...and what should you cut their diet down to when they are outside all day?

Ashleynicole
09-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I have tons of oak trees in my yard, I live in florida and im starting to see some small acorns. When you freeze them do you have to blanch them first in boiling water or do you just rinse them and then freeze them? We used to freeze peas from our garden and we used to blanch them in boiling water for a few seconds before we put them int he freezer bags, so i was just wondering if the same things would apply to acorns, to kill anything before freezing them.

CritterMom
09-26-2010, 07:22 AM
If foxers only live in cold climates, I want to know where MINE are!

Acorns/peanuts/aflatoxin: Peanuts are a classic carrier of this, because they are not nuts (they are legumes, like a lima bean) and they actually grow underground like potatoes. Aflatoxin is a mold and things that are in dark, wet surroundings are the problem. Since peanuts GROW in dark, wet surroundings, they can really be an issue.

Acorns: the ones that are fresh off the tree are fine. Throw a tarp on the ground under your oak tree and you know the acorns you find on it are fresh if you pick them up every day. I go through and toss those that have splits or holes in them, throw them in a bucket with some Dawn and water to wash them, rinse them well and lay them out on a towel overnight to dry, then into bags and into the freezer. It is the ones that have been laying on the ground for days and weeks that can be an issue.

Squirrels will eat some really gnarly acorns - some are dug up and are BLACK and they eat them. I believe that they likely ALSO eat something in their surroundings that allow them to do that without becoming ill. Nature is full of that - critters eat poisonous fruit but also eat things that neutralize the poison so they are just fine. Our indoor guys can't do that, so you want to watch so that they only have access to fresh.

I literally cannot see the grass anymore in my backyard for all the acorns. I lay in bed at night and the acorns falling on the roof sound like I am being strafed! Yesterday I watched one of my wilds burying a pecan I gave him - and he hat to push a big pile of acorns out of the way to get to the dirt to do it!

mainemargaret
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I have limited freezer space. Does anyone know of a way to prevent mold if they're kept in the fridge? Maybe a cool, dry area is better than the fridge - although I tried that one year and still got a lot of mold.

astra
10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
If foxers only live in cold climates, I want to know where MINE are!

me, too. If cold climates are the key, then, they SHOULD be here, north of the border (canada)

island rehabber
10-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Fox squirrels are not all found in cold climates. Various species are found from the Delmarva Peninsula (DelMarva Fox Squirrels, an endangered species) on down through Florida (Sherman Fox Squirrels). Unfortunately it seems like the only places they are NOT found are nice chilly states like New York, Connecticut and Maine. :(

astra
10-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Fox squirrels are not all found in cold climates. Various species are found from the Delmarva Peninsula (DelMarva Fox Squirrels, an endangered species) on down through Florida (Sherman Fox Squirrels). Unfortunately it seems like the only places they are NOT found are nice chilly states like New York, Connecticut and Maine. :(
Toronto can be added to this sad list, too

pappy1264
10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Don't forget MASS....no foxers here.....:soapbox

island rehabber
10-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Don't forget MASS....no foxers here.....:soapbox
Yeah...what's up with that? :thinking Iowa and Michigan have 'em and they are way colder.....:dono

FranP
10-13-2010, 08:35 AM
I have collected 8 qt bags of acorns and have put them in my fridge, they have been in there for a couple of days. I've noticed there is condensation on the inside of the zip-lock bags. Will it still be okay to go ahead and put them in the freezer? Or, should I open the bags and let them dry out and then put them in the freezer? I don't want to create an afla-toxin environment for the acorns!

pappy1264
10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah...what's up with that? Iowa and Michigan have 'em and they are way colder.....

Don't know.....maybe I should write my local congressman and complain...lol

CritterMom
10-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Dry them before freezing.

Have you ever looked inside one? They are really wet - like chestnuts. I don't think they EVER dry completely the way a walnut or pecan does, which is why they can have mold issues.

As far as keeping them without refrigeration to feed the wilds (mainemargaret), I would see if I could find some apple baskets with handles and fill them about half full, and put them in the dryest place I could find - maybe by the furnace. Every couple days I would shake them up so the ones on the bottom are on the top, to prevent them from sitting for any period in one place with poor air circulation (the bottom of the basket).