PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

XxbRyTTxX
08-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I have a baby squirrel which weighs 58g and is about 5 weeks old according to what i have researched. I have had him since last saturday when i found him on the ground,and he seems to be doing good but this morning his eyes opened for the first time and he had diarrhea. This is my first time to own a squirrel and I really dont want anything to happen to Tucker. He doesnt seem to be dehydrated and he is very active,he also is eating really good and is going to the bathroom fine. Also what kind of milk should he be on? should i be giving him pedialyte for the diarrhea? Plz help!

Gina
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Someone should be on soon to help you more but in the meantime for feeding please refer to this:

In light of the recent problems rehabbers have been experiencing with Esbilac formula, it has been decided that the best alternative is Fox Valley 32/40.
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=1&PLID=1
Nicholas P. Vlamis, President (Nick)
(800) 679-4666
If you call in your order and tell him you need it quickly he'll be happy to oblige. He can ship to you regular post 3-5 days and overnight. He's very nice and very easy to work with.
In the meantime you will need to feed your baby a home-made formula, but please for the sake of the baby, do not feed this for more than 4-7 days. It's a great temporary replacer milk but it lacks certain vitamins and minerals that the babies need to thrive. This recipe will ensure that your baby will be well nourished until your order from Fox Valley arrives.

Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.
Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours.
Please note, this website has several links that still mention Esbilac and we need to keep these links active as they do contain excellent information so please keep in mind that Fox Valley is now the formula of choice for raising baby squirrels.

Keone'sMom
08-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi I hope your Tucker is doing ok what kind of food are you feeding him? I had this problem with my female but she was about 2 years old at the time. My Vet told me to watch how many greens I feed because it can cause this problem. But if your baby is only 5 weeks old I guess you aren't feeding him greens yet. I have fed all my babies esbalic with no problems but other people do have problems so I can't say what anyone should be doing I am new to this forum I read lots of great advice just looking:) at the post I wish you luck with your new baby.:)

XxbRyTTxX
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
i was told by a friend to feed tucker liquid kitten milk,but i looked online earlier and found that its suppose to be esbilac puppy milk in powder form,so am i suppose to just switch him to puppy millk until i can get what he needs?

island rehabber
08-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Absolutely stop the kitten milk -- it's giving him the diarrhea.
While you are waiting for the Fox Valley to be delivered, try Jackie in Tampa's goats milk recipe:

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours.
Once the Fox Valley arrives, transition the squirrel over to it by mixing half goats milk, half Fox Valley for the first feeding, then 3/4 Fox Valley for the second feeding, then all Fox Valley by the third feeding. Good luck, hope this clears it up!

In the meantime, you can also give the squirrel a DROP of Kaopectate to stop the diarrhea.

XxbRyTTxX
08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanx for all the helpful info i really appreciate it. Tucker is doing better at the moment, but he has gotten a rash on his belly..is there anything that i can put on his belly to cure it up?

Gina
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope you have ordered the Fox Valley formula by now - and not feeding kitten milk. Any pics of rash you could send?:grouphug

XxbRyTTxX
08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah..the kitten milk is gone and he is doing much better. I dont have any pics of the rash but i can take some..i dont know if what he has is even a rash like..the other night he had diarrhea really bad and i cleaned him off with a baby wipe. Could that have caused it?