PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

I love Scrat
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi all, My name is Jen and I live in NJ. I have an Eastern grey named Scrat and I love him to death. He fell out of a tree during a storm in a neighbor's yard late last summer and I took him in. I had planned on releasing him, but because of the time of year it wasn't possible to let him out in all of the snow. Now he's part of the family. He's about a year old now. I really want to find a vet that will see him, but I am having a hard time finding one is this state. He seems healthy to me, but I want to make sure.

psychotic feather
07-20-2010, 08:37 PM
:Welcome I am sure someone can recommend or help you find a vet for your baby

mpetys
07-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi Jen. Welcome. This is a great place for learning about squirrels. I am still learning something new all the time. Have you got any pictures to post of Scrat? One thing you will find here is that everyone loves pictures.

Hopefully someone will be on that might have information about vets in NJ. What part of NJ are you in? Are squirrels legal in NJ? From what I have read that is the main thing to make sure of before you go to a vet. Make sure that you are in a legal state or you might risk having your squirrel taken. I am so glad that squirrels are legal in Florida.

I would love to hear any information or stories about Scrat as I have an Eastern Grey that is 6 1/2 months old. I am learning a lot about him as he grows but also learn a lot from others who are raising squirrels.

Below is a picture of my MonkeyButt.

Michele in Tampa

Ronda
07-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Jen... welcome! I have a Scrat too!! Mine is a girl ( originally we thought she was a he - so i suppose her name should be spelled Scratte)
There is lots of great advice, tips and really wonderful people here. I hope we can see pics of your Scrat soon.

island rehabber
07-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Welcome Jen! New Jersey is NOT a legal state for squirrels (in fact, I think only Florida and West Virginia are :( ) so please be very cautious about whom you tell about Scrat. Nosy neighbors can cause lots of trouble for you; don't ever let people pet him or risk a nip from him because they'll report it and that will be disastrous.

OK, now for the good news. :D The only way for you to have Scrat treated by a vet in an illegal state is if he is referred by a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. We do have a member or two in NJ who might be able to help you if it's ever necessary. In the meantime, please please read our "Squirrel Nutrition" section and make sure Scrat is on the healthiest diet possible! Oh, and we'd love a pic or two when you get a chance.....:D

Ultra Peepi
07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
:Welcome hi and good luck with the vet search