PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about Monkey Puzzle Tree pine cones?

Kelly Brady
07-17-2010, 08:59 AM
I mentioned that my squirrels love pine cones. A friend brought in a bowling ball size pine cone that falls from what is called a Monkey Puzzle tree. It is the size of a bowling ball.:multi I have never seen anything like this.
I googled and it says they harvest its seeds in chile and it they are wonderful. I cannot find where it would be toxic but would love to let my squirrels go at it. Can't until at least see if anyone has seen or heard of.

4skwerlz
07-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I mentioned that my squirrels love pine cones. A friend brought in a bowling ball size pine cone that falls from what is called a Monkey Puzzle tree. It is the size of a bowling ball.:multi I have never seen anything like this.
I googled and it says they harvest its seeds in chile and it they are wonderful. I cannot find where it would be toxic but would love to let my squirrels go at it. Can't until at least see if anyone has seen or heard of.

I haven't heard of anyone feeding it to squirrels, but you know the drill.... :D

1. Find out if humans can eat it;
2. Google the name of plant + "toxic" and see what comes up;
3. Find out if certain parts of the plant might be toxic;
4. Ask TSB :) ;
5. Feed only a teeny, teeny amount at first and watch for a reaction.

wheezer
07-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I had a monkey puzzle tree in my yard when I lived in Florida. I loved it because one, it had an animal name:D and two, it was so unusual. But I eventually had to cut it down because I feared neighborhood kids would get injured by it. It has razor sharpe leaves and the cones can kill a person if dropped from high heights and fall on their heads!!

The pine nuts are edible by humans and would be a great food crop if it didn't take so long for the trees to mature:)

We have a grey pine around here that has a similar cone with HUGE pine nuts that my squirrels love!

Kelly Brady
07-17-2010, 09:40 AM
That is funny wheezer. This man who brought it in said one fell on top of his van and he showed me the dent it left on a vehicle. You are correct because he said it almost hit his wife in the head. He also showed me the branches. Ouch.
I am fascinated this thing. In my google search it said nuts are wonderful but that it takes 30 to 40 years for one tree to produce. Wow.

Thanks 4S
I figure a lot of the time that if squirrels were meant to eat it in the wild they would if not they know better but I worry about my NR do that have that sense of the wild squirrel?

4skwerlz
07-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks 4S
I figure a lot of the time that if squirrels were meant to eat it in the wild they would if not they know better but I worry about my NR do that have that sense of the wild squirrel?

I agree; I think some NRs don't have as good instincts as a wild, plus they missed the training momma squirrel would have given them.