PDA

View Full Version : How to fatten up ground squirrels?

amylls
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi, i have a pair of ground squirrels that are soooo thin but are very fussy eaters.They wont even touch a squirrel block an dont seem to eat any nuts at all! The 1 thing they love is mealworms but they cant live on them.Anyone have any ideas on how i can build them up a little?

Skul
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Try some greens. Kale, asparagus, brocolli, carrot tops, clover, etc.
How about squash, apple, cherry, mushroom, rose buds, green twigs.
There's a mutitude of things to try.

Fireweed
07-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Do they have lots of grasses/hay available 24/7? Timothy, oat, brome, botanical, meadow (don't give alfalfa)... and any fresh, natural grasses you can find in your yard (chemical free, of course). These help with digestion and are a must. If they aren't digesting properly they might not feel that hungry...

Good thing they don't like nuts. I'd stay away from those unless as a rare treat. :D Have you tried the 'blocks' specific for ground squirrels?--Some have more grasses in them and will help---also tastier to ground squirrels. All kinds of veggies (Skul gave some good examples--also, snap peas, cherry toms, all kinds of lettuces (except iceberg), melons, berries etc, but avoid broccoli, cauliflower---they don't easily digest those. Avocado as a treat. :thumbsup

They don't need to get too fat, though. Many pet ground squirrels are actually overweight. :)

Skul
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM
.... but avoid broccoli, cauliflower---they don't easily digest those.
Wow, that's a surprise. Maybe it shouldn'd have been.
Different species, different needs.
Glad you picked up on that.:thumbsup

amylls
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I do give them friut/veg everyday but they generally dont eat much of it. At the moment i am feeding them science selective rat/science selective mouse/chipmunk mix and dry cat food mixed together.I have also given them some baby food sometimes.They do seem to be eating more now and putting on a little,maybe im just worrying over nothing and wanting it to happen too fast,its just when i get them you could feel every bone and their spines and hips were all sticking out.

Fireweed
07-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Ugh...they do sound like they were very thin, poor things. Glad to hear they are putting on some weight. :)

What kind of ground squirrels are these two, anyway? Got any pic-choors? :D

virgo062
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure about your part of town but here the little girls must be in season because my male wildies are very thin as well. They are more interested in running the little girls ragged than eating...Otherwise Jackie has the fattest squirrels I have ever seen maybe she can enlighten us all.

SquirrelsinSingapore
07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
u tried milk? peanut bread could do to fattern them up.. not too much though
post pictures of them ?
u can weight them once a week to monitor 'progress'

Cheers:thumbsup

amylls
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
ok lots to answer here!
They are richardsons.
They are not in season as they are too young.
I have not tried milk,what kind should i try?
Peanut bread???:dono But i have tried peanut butter and they wont touch it.
Weighing them i would love to but they aint very tame so would rather not force them into being handled unless its the last resort.
And finally! Pictures,i will try to get some on here but for some reason i dont usually manage it on forums!