PDA

View Full Version : UGH...Teeth Trimming Info!

Jackie in Tampa
07-08-2010, 07:50 AM
:shakehead Odontomas are very possible if you clip with bad tools, if your sq moves while clipping...
if the tool you use doesn't cut like butter, quick, easy and quiet...throw it away.

A squirrel with malocclusion -- teeth which do not grind themselves down normally, and grow too long -- will need clipping every three weeks.

Odontomas are dangerous and can kill your squirrel.
Dremels scare sqs, but many use them.
The cheapest trim I have ever paid for was $18.. the most expensive was $78...same sq, different doc.
Wire cutters are not what I use, although that's what they look like. Do not use cheap chinese junk.
You must file afterwards, males can slice their penis while grooming.
Clipping must be done with nothing else going on, in a well lit quiet atmosphere when the sq is in a good mood perferably.
NORMAL uppers grow toward throat, close to roof of mouth. Long teeth can allow food to get stuck between roof and teeth and the sq can choke to death. Lowers can grow into roof of mouth, puncture sinuses and cause sever infection.
overgrown teeth will stop a sq from eating and lead to pain and possible septic infections...this is a serious matter.
I do not like to clip teeth, and am scared everytime, and I do it every three weeks for seven years...point, never think you're good at it, never relax, it needs 1oo% of your attention and dedication.
the real TOOL MY VET USES COST ALMOST $300 DOLLARS, SO AT $30 WE ARE BEING AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE, dO NOT TRY TO USE CHEAPER TOOL.
German Steel Jeweler's side cutters....nothing else!!
www.livesaysinc.com (http://www.livesaysinc.com) 1-800-476-2715 ask for Butch
sku#46.066.....$22.65 plus shipping and handling.
I have 'splained to him that this is what you need and why!
Livesay's does not normally sell to the public, this is a jewelers supply house....and it took special persuasion to get this special favor, be careful please!

Here's a not so detailed video of US...getting teeth trim...Most sqs are not this well behaved...you may need help to hold the patient VERY STILL. You may need to burrito.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/jackieintampa/?action=view&current=100_1575.flv&newest=1

Do not use pointy tools, be careful of the eyes.
My file is REvlon metal file for nails and has a blunt/round tip, found at the drug store cosmetic area.
I use a popsicle stick to stop the tooth fragment from being shallowed and to keep ONLY the teeth exposed, not the tongue...
It took 6 months or more of private lessons for me to feel comfy enough to do this alone, and I still don't, 7 years later...point being, do not think it's easy, and it is not safe. You can do permanent damage if things go wrong. Damage that can kill your sq!
Odontomas are tumors on the tooth root, try finding a vet to remove them...it's very serious, expensive and the surgery is dangerous.
THE VET HAS TO DRILL THRU THE SKULL to remove them from uppers incisor roots. If not removed, they will continue to grow, putting pressure on the sinuses and brain...much worse than a tooth ache.
THEY WILL LEAD TO DEATH if untreated, PERIOD!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8149&highlight=squarlet
this is a link to squarlets thread...she was a very large fox sq, and very lucky sq to have dr.dan, her momma and tsb!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

here's a vid of me clipping Rocky...it does not show much detail, as I an uncomfortable showing others unless i can preach the do's and don'ts, however i have been getting alot of pm's asking for instruction, i am very uncomfortable sharing...so !?!?!
please be careful and research well before making this choice.PLEASE!

here's a pic of my tools!
and a pic of one of rocky's uppers.

PM me if you need more detail...
please be careful and good luck!

I really did not want to do this...so please please be careful!:Love_Icon

stosh2010
07-08-2010, 08:27 AM
A healthy sq will need his teeth clipped every three weeks.

YIKES !! Rama Rota is 7 months old...
1-Have I missed clipping his teeth MANY times?
2-In the wild is branch chewing sufficient?
3-Do the teeth of some breeds of squirrels grow faster than others?
4- Is there a certain age/maturity that signals the start of tooth trimming?

I am VERY concerned...and want the best for Rama Rota, but my options for professional help in Costa Rica are SLIM to NONE and the thought of Holding the KING and Trimming his Teeth --Upsets me. He would need a COCKTAIL of 1 part Rescue Remedy and 4 parts Kentucky Bourbon and then I'd need a very small STRAIGHT-JACKET.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

Jackie in Tampa
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
YIKES !! Rama Rota is 7 months old...
1-Have I missed clipping his teeth MANY times?
2-In the wild is branch chewing sufficient?
3-Do the teeth of some breeds of squirrels grow faster than others?
4- Is there a certain age/maturity that signals the start of tooth trimming?

I am VERY concerned...and want the best for Rama Rota, but my options for professional help in Costa Rica are SLIM to NONE and the thought of Holding the KING and Trimming his Teeth --Upsets me. He would need a COCKTAIL of 1 part Rescue Remedy and 4 parts Kentucky Bourbon and then I'd need a very small STRAIGHT-JACKET.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )
Stosh...if Rama Rota needed trimming, you would already know it...:thumbsup
sometimes low calcium can and DOES affect teeth...just like kids...calcium is a must!
Also some sqs fall on their faces and teeth issues can stem from impact...
some sqs are born with maloclusions and tusk type teeth will be the result...
most sqs do not ever need trimmings...THank goodness!
I don't drink, but I think it might help! A stiff white russian would be my choice if I did!:D
Worst case scenerio, they only have 4 teeth that could possibly need trimmed...
all kidding aside, it is scarey! BUT there are many NRs that are NR due to no sq orthodontists! Maybe in my next life!:sanp3

CritterMom
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Stosh, healthy squirrels who's teeth meet properly - which is most of them - don't need their teeth trimmed - they do it themselves with the nonstop chewing of eveything - nuts, branches - Mister P actually has a section of concrete wall that he chews sometimes! But sometimes they don't meet properly and they cannot wear them down themselves. It is often related to injury from the initial fall from the nest, so rehabbers see this issue a lot.

As long as Rama has hard things to chew you can keep the Kentucky bourbon for better things!

Gina
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
That has to be the sweetest most calmest squirrel! I still have Wayne's teeth done for me - my equine vet does them for free. I file them afterwards with the revlon filer like you advised. He gets a good rubbing of R&R before the trim and a nut treat when it's done. He fights the trims and has to be wrapped like a burrito. Momma could use a shot of whiskey when he cries:shakehead

Stosh, so glad Rama's teeth are good. I love Wayne's crooked little grin but hate to see him suffer the trims

Jackie in Tampa
11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
here it is!:thumbsup
this is just my view and how to...I never said it was right or perfect...:peace
but it works for us!:D

JLM27
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Jackie, you said Squarlet "was". Is Squarlet gone? :(

Rhapsody
06-16-2011, 02:53 AM
the real TOOL MY VET USES COST ALMOST $300 DOLLARS, SO AT $30 WE ARE BEING AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE, dO NOT TRY TO USE CHEAPER TOOL.
Livesay's does not normally sell to the public, this is a jewelers supply house....and it took special persuasion to get this special favor, be careful please!HEY JACKIE........ Checking on the Side Cutters to order a pair for Trimming Marven's Teeth until I can get them removed by the Vet..... and
I was wanting your opinion on them as the SKU # has Changed on the website (46.064)..... Are they still the same ones YOU HAVE?

LINK:
http://96.254.30.83/orscript/onramp.exe?pgm=itemdet.bbx&custnum=&password=&sesid=&id=46.064++++++++++++++

:thankyou :Love_Icon :thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
06-16-2011, 07:10 AM
They look fine carolyn...:thumbsup
Hi baby Marvin:Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
06-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Jill, last time I heard, Squarlet was doing fine.
I chatted with her Momma about 5 months ago.
Wish we could see her dance :Love_Icon
I just love that big beautiful squirrel!:)

stosh2010
06-16-2011, 07:24 AM
JIT wrote:I do not like to clip teeth, and am scared everytime, and I do it every three weeks for seven years...point, never think you're good at it, never relax, it needs 1oo% of your attention and dedication.
I trimmed MIRA's teeth last night--what a nerve -wracking thing that was---
It took 2 hours of worry to get ready and 10 seconds to complete...
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Stosh---guardian of Princess MIRA
VISIT the PRINCESS at:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28700&page=54

Jackie in Tampa
06-16-2011, 07:40 AM
:bowdown I know Stosh...I get 7 gray hairs everytime...and a tummy ache...
today is tooth trimmimg day actually...

''''for the love of sqs'''':)

Ellymae
06-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Jackie, what about these? I have been using them for quite some time and they work really well. Should I change and get the ones you use?

Elly

Ellymae
06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
:bowdown I know Stosh...I get 7 gray hairs everytime...and a tummy ache...
today is tooth trimmimg day actually...

''''for the love of sqs'''':)

Jackie, what about these clippers? I am still learning how to "quote" and reply to a thread so bear with me :D

Jackie in Tampa
06-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Jackie, what about these clippers? I am still learning how to "quote" and reply to a thread so bear with me :D:wave123 I think almost anything with clean edges that meet evenly will work in a pinch...what I have found is most cheaper clippers are made with soft inferior metal...so they dent and lose their crisp clean edge...
this is where you can cause stress cracks and split/splinter teeth.
If you will be clipping every three weeks, I would get the GERMAN STEEL clippers if your's are not.
This is from my observation.:wave123

Ellymae
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
:wave123 I think almost anything with clean edges that meet evenly will work in a pinch...what I have found is most cheaper clippers are made with soft inferior metal...so they dent and lose their crisp clean edge...
this is where you can cause stress cracks and split/splinter teeth.
If you will be clipping every three weeks, I would get the GERMAN STEEL clippers if your's are not.
This is from my observation.:wave123

Will do. Thanks Jackie:thankyou

Elly

Jackie in Tampa
12-09-2011, 03:32 AM
New stock {sku} number on the clippers I use..
slim line side cutter, rnd end
4 1/2" box joint, w/spring/grip

EUROTOOL, german steel

Livesay's
www.livesaysinc.com (http://www.livesaysinc.com/)

$25 with tax
S&H ?
I pick them up locally from Jewelry Supply house...not open to the public.
I have made arrangements for us to buy them wholesale...
if you need an account name use Jackie Bedford
ask for Butch!

:thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
07-08-2013, 05:46 PM
update..
Livesay's 813-229-2715
800-476-2715
ask for Butch...ref Jackie Bedford
stock number 46.066
slim line side cutters; 4.5 in Box Joint; Round tipped; German steel
$22.95

Unikorngrrl
07-08-2013, 06:13 PM
:shakehead Odontomas are very possible if you clip with bad tools, if your sq moves while clipping...
if the tool you use doesn't cut like butter, quick, easy and quiet...throw it away.

A squirrel with malocclusion -- teeth which do not grind themselves down normally, and grow too long -- will need clipping every three weeks.

Odontomas are dangerous and can kill your squirrel.
Dremels scare sqs, but many use them.
The cheapest trim I have ever paid for was $18.. the most expensive was $78...same sq, different doc.
Wire cutters are not what I use, although that's what they look like. Do not use cheap chinese junk.
You must file afterwards, males can slice their penis while grooming.
Clipping must be done with nothing else going on, in a well lit quiet atmosphere when the sq is in a good mood perferably.
NORMAL uppers grow toward throat, close to roof of mouth. Long teeth can allow food to get stuck between roof and teeth and the sq can choke to death. Lowers can grow into roof of mouth, puncture sinuses and cause sever infection.
overgrown teeth will stop a sq from eating and lead to pain and possible septic infections...this is a serious matter.
I do not like to clip teeth, and am scared everytime, and I do it every three weeks for seven years...point, never think you're good at it, never relax, it needs 1oo% of your attention and dedication.
Livesay's does not normally sell to the public, this is a jewelers supply house....and it took special persuasion to get this special favor, be careful please!

Here's a not so detailed video of US...getting teeth trim...Most sqs are not this well behaved...you may need help to hold the patient VERY STILL. You may need to burrito.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/jackieintampa/?action=view&current=100_1575.flv&newest=1

Do not use pointy tools, be careful of the eyes.
My file is REvlon metal file for nails and has a blunt/round tip, found at the drug store cosmetic area.
I use a popsicle stick to stop the tooth fragment from being shallowed and to keep ONLY the teeth exposed, not the tongue...
It took 6 months or more of private lessons for me to feel comfy enough to do this alone, and I still don't, 7 years later...point being, do not think it's easy, and it is not safe. You can do permanent damage if things go wrong. Damage that can kill your sq!
Odontomas are tumors on the tooth root, try finding a vet to remove them...it's very serious, expensive and the surgery is dangerous.
THE VET HAS TO DRILL THRU THE SKULL to remove them from uppers incisor roots. If not removed, they will continue to grow, putting pressure on the sinuses and brain...much worse than a tooth ache.
THEY WILL LEAD TO DEATH if untreated, PERIOD!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8149&highlight=squarlet
this is a link to squarlets thread...she was a very large fox sq, and very lucky sq to have dr.dan, her momma and tsb!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

here's a vid of me clipping Rocky...it does not show much detail, as I an uncomfortable showing others unless i can preach the do's and don'ts, however i have been getting alot of pm's asking for instruction, i am very uncomfortable sharing...so !?!?!
please be careful and research well before making this choice.PLEASE!

here's a pic of my tools!
and a pic of one of rocky's uppers.

PM me if you need more detail...
please be careful and good luck!

I really did not want to do this...so please please be careful!:Love_Icon

YES, I needed the link for the cutters!! I had asked but I'm sure you get swamped with crap, but I have it now!!! XO

kastillo
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
What do yall think about the teeth trimmers they sell on Chris's

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/chris-favorite-teeth-cutters.html

My first NR has one front tooth longer than the other, and I'm wanting to learn to do it myself.

I'll probably take him to the vet for the first trim, just to watch and learn. Although I do not know if the vet has ever trimmed a squirrels teeth. But he is my squirrel friendly vet. So we are probably going to go that route the first time.