PDA

View Full Version : Wild squirrel leg question

graefin
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I feed the squirrels on campus. Today I saw a squirrel looking like his rear right leg was bothering him. I noticed him because he was on the thin side (most of the squirrels here are kind of plump). He walked over to me slowly, and his right rear leg looked a little "off" (not hanging; he just seemed to not be able to move it as well).

Incidentally, this squirrel is also missing most of his tail. What's left is maybe a bunny-sized ball of fluff. He was able to climb a tree fine. I have definitely seen at least one squirrel who was missing most of his tail before, but I don't know if this guy is the same one. There's another woman around who feeds them also, and a week or so ago she mentioned that she had seen a squirrel with an injured leg a long while back. She didn't mention that that squirrel was missing his tail, though. When I next see her, I'll ask.

What to do? If it's broken, would it necessarily be hanging? Maybe it's just sprained and will heal on its own?

Critter_Queen
11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Sounds like he got caught in/under something. If he can climb a tree ok, he's good. He's probably got a permanent gimp...not having his tail is probably his worse problem. But again, he can survive without it...especially in a campus environment with two nice ladies to feed him. :)

graefin
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I figured he got injured in a fight, which is how I assume he lost his tail. But the fact that he's so much thinner suggests to me he might be having a problem. :(

Recently, I saw a squirrel eating the remains of another squirrel (all that was left was the tail and a leg bone). I was shocked, really. And I couldn't understand why they would do it if they are being fed so well (in addition to me and the other woman, there are 2-3 others who feed at least on a semi-regular basis).

Critter_Queen
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Ick. I've not heard of that before...but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I suppose.

He may have been injured not long ago and was unable to get his own food for a while...or maybe just not enough of it due to the gimpy leg/tail incident.

IF (big if) you could catch him a rehabber might be able to help him if he does have other issues. BUT, since he's a wild adult, he'd have to be pretty sick to let you snag him.

Unfortunately, in the wild it's survival of the fittest. They don't understand our way of supporting the sick and elderly.

I hope he improves in the coming weeks and you can report back that he seems to be doing well...

graefin
11-01-2006, 02:47 PM
IF (big if) you could catch him a rehabber might be able to help him if he does have other issues. BUT, since he's a wild adult, he'd have to be pretty sick to let you snag him

I figured that. Trying to trap him with a humane trap would be a daunting prospect. If I were able to catch him, there are some rehabbers I work with who I'd bring him to.

I'll keep an eye on him.

Thanks for the input!

GhosTS
11-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I suspect that the leg problem came earlier and now its healing, and because of the leg problem, he was caught by a predator and thats how his tail is lost.But it sounds like he is healing.So no serious worries.

Also squirrels do eat remains of other squirrels for one reason.They do in mainly to keep the predators away.They clean up the scent of death.They dont kill other squirrels and eat them.They just ear the dead bodies.

Gabe
11-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Ew, that is so gross GhosTS, I have given my reds mealworms they need the extra protein. Maybe they were getting calcium from the bones?

GhosTS
11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe.But eating a carcass is a very rare incident.I've only heard squirrel mothers doing it if one baby dies at birth or after that.She does it to save the other babies.It is gross in the human point of view.But what else can they do.

susanw
11-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I suspect that the leg problem came earlier and now its healing, and because of the leg problem, he was caught by a predator and thats how his tail is lost.But it sounds like he is healing.So no serious worries.

Also squirrels do eat remains of other squirrels for one reason.They do in mainly to keep the predators away.They clean up the scent of death.They dont kill other squirrels and eat them.They just ear the dead bodies.

Wow thanks for the info. I never heard of that before. I would imagine that they only do that if it is near their nest.:peace

graefin
11-06-2006, 10:48 AM

I sure hope he does heal. I suspect that squirrels around here lose their tails as a result of fighting with each other. There aren't any natural predators around here that I've seen (well, there's a family of crows, but I've never seen them bother the squirrels).

GhosTS
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh trust me Crows will bother squirrels if they are hungry..:nono

Preacher
11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Yep...livin out in the country I can tell ya crows are predatory, as are CATS. But I've also learned a cat is no match for a heathly adult squirrel. Young ones are easier for them.
I've also learned with BH that there are times they will eat things we find disgusting. I watched her (crippled & all) chase down this big fat moth the other nite & just eat it up!!! Yeah I had swated at it & she saw it hit the floor & she was off!!
THis here is no lie...I was eatin homemade chili one nite & BH was out...she came off my shoulder & landed in the middle of the bowl!! She grabbed a piece Of the meat (hamburger) & took off!! My wife never laughed so hard till she did the same with her with a bowl of nanner puddin!!!

Needless to say we're glad she likes takin a bath!!