PDA

View Full Version : Just found this site

catjan
07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I hate to start this way, but I am extremely upset with myself. Not thinking about the consequences at all, I put out ant traps to get rid of the ant colony just by the front door to my courtyard. Put them out this morning and went out a little while ago and they were no longer in the places where I put them.
I feed birds all the time, and of course the squirrels show up - they are so cute and love to tease my cats, who are not allowed outside.
Anyway I picked up the two small traps I put out there, assuming it was the squirrels that got to them, brought them into the house and proceeded to cry and cry and cry. I don't know if I will ever see Ms Scragly Tail, or any of her other friends again. I am devastated. Maybe it was not enough to harm them, but I don't know.
I am glad you are all here, because there are people who could care less if I have killed my rodent friends. I will let you know if they come back or if maybe some new ones will move into the neighborhood.
I just feel so bad!
:shakehead

Anne
07-05-2010, 05:32 AM
So sorry no one has posted an answer. I will do a search on the ant traps. What brand did you use? For future use try peppermint mint extract from the grocery store-ants hate it and it confuses them by ridding their "Ant trails".

Anne
07-05-2010, 06:00 AM
OK, Looked up "Ant trap poison". No information on the type(s) of poison used, guess it's brand to brand. HOWEVER----the "inert other ingredients" listed was PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!! Apparently peanut butter is the bait used to attract the ants. Just the thing to attract squirrels too. No wonder they say to keep away from children and pets. Can't give you any other information at this time, hope your local wildlife vet can help, brand name would be a help.

astra
07-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't know what to say... I am so sorry this happened!... Maybe, walk through your neighborhood? - pehaps, if they do get ill, you might be able to spot them and bring them to a vet?... More experienced people here might have better suggestions...I am very sorry...:sad

catjan
07-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone,
I walked around the neighborhood and did not see any squirrels last evening. This morning Baby Boy is back, but I have not seen Ms. Scraggly Tail or Bid Daddy around. It rained last nite, so maybe they are not up and around yet.

The traps I put out were small round ones, and yes, I think peanut butter was listed. I heeded the warning about pets, thinking that, well, my cats stay inside. I have no idea why I did not think of my squirrel "pets."

The birds only feeder really frustrates the squirrels, but I always put out extra stuff for them. Baby Boy is acting like he is starving this morning. I have a great video of him cavorting around in the grass. Is there any way to post a video on this site?

Again, thanks for your concern. I guess I learned a tough lesson. I still can't believe I was so stupid.:thinking

astra
07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Let's hope they will show up. In the meantime, maybe, you could check the neighborhood a couple of times, just in case.
As for posting videos - I have never done it, but I know that people do it through Photobucket - they either paste a link or an image that serves as a link ( or something like that - I am sure, once you start you'll be able to figure it out).
In addition, on the Home page of TSB ( The squirrel board) all the way towards the bottom there should be a board/forum/page on how to upload images/attachments. Maybe, there is some info on videos , too. ( sorry, cannot be of more help - I have never uploaded videos).

squillgurl
07-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about this too, you must feel so awful, I know I'd be pretty messed up about it. Hopefully they are just staying high and dry and will be back out and about soon? Maybe in the meantime put some special treats out for them to see if they will show up? I hope so! Best of luck to you and welcome to TSB...I'm new too and it's a great place :Welcome
'

tomcics
07-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Catjan, sorry to hear about the dilemma with the ant traps. There are many animals that could have found them & carried them off and maybe just left them somewhere. Also a squirrel may have buried, it you just never know. Munks will also take stuff and just hide it in their dens even if they never want to eat it. So hopefully no animals got sick on it. Hope you can see Ms. Scraggly Tail & Bid Daddy soon.

Ronda
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome to TSB! i hope you see your outside fuzzers soon, prayers that they are safe and sound.

Ultra Peepi
07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
:Welcome sorry to hear that happened. take the advice offered up and i hope you see your wild friends safe and sound soon.