PDA

View Full Version : Big Day!

Buddy'sMom
10-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Ta-DA! Drum roll, please. FINALLY got the release cage out of the garage and out to the maple tree (actually not nearly as hard as we thought, but with 3 people, hand cart and rope), situated it on cinderblock base; staking the corners didn't work because of the tree roots, but it's been stabilized with bags of mulch. Also, weather now pretty much perfect, not cold again til weekend, a little rain Wed. Pics below.

Buddy seems to like his new location (we know, because he played with his dangly sock a LOT!). Even though he's been in the cage for a week, in the new outside location everything had to be explored once again. Seemed to meet with approval as he was calm, ate, played with toys, pinecones, took his formula. Somewhat less happy after dark - B'sDad went out with a nut but Buddy would only poke his head out of the nestbox and didn't want to come out, not even for a nut! This morning he was perched on a branch when I went out with breakfast. So all is good, so far.

Bit of explanation on the pics: Left end of cage is a door with single screen (I wanted to be able to hand him sweetpotato or avocado thru screen as distraction). Over this is a thin wooden door that can be closed at night or for weather, or opened for sun, the view, better pictures, etc. Also, "back" of cage (double screened) was covered with 2 pieces of plywood (wind block), but B'sDad took the top piece off so Buddy could see "his" tree; going to cut out and hinge part of it so the plywood can be put back and the "window" opened unless the weather is bad. (this is the Taj Ma-Squirrel of release cages!! :alright.gif )

Buddy'sMom
10-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Forgot the pics:

pia
10-31-2006, 08:25 AM
nice:) hee sure looks happy:)

Critter_Queen
10-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow! Nice cage! :thumbsup

Sounds like everything is just right. You put a lot of thought and planning into it, you can tell!

It's normal for them not to want to come out after dark outside. NONE of mine ever do. I think it's instinct.

All the other signs you describe sound like he's a happy guy! Good job Mom! :wahoo

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-31-2006, 08:47 AM
You have done your homework! Refreshing to see such care & planning for a little boy. He deserves it! That tree is a squirrels dream.

Momma Squirrel
10-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Great release cage, Buddy is one lucky squirrel. And that tree is to dream about, he will love it. Great job mom and dad :thumbsup

GhosTS
10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
:alright.gif ...Thats one neat cage..And Buddy looks very happy in it.

Buddy'sMom
10-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks, All!! We ARE pleased with how it came out. FYI -- any of you can order verson 2.0 of "The Cage" - for a mere $1000 (negotiable) -- plus, you must put my husband up for the month it will take him to build the cage (not negotiable)!! (No "rush" orders; these things take time :D .)

nice:) hee sure looks happy:)

Yes, but REALLY HAPPY is a piece of avocado:

quirlgirl
10-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Neat cage:thumbsup ,Buddy is lucky to have you all, he looks so happy and healthy. Look at all that good food...:)

Buddy'sMom
10-31-2006, 01:12 PM
.... Look at all that good food...:)

... not that he actually eats much of it, mind you! Picky, picky. But we keep putting it out -- every day it seems he eats something different, and there's no guessing what it might be! Yesterday's favorite is ... so YESTERDAY.

skwerls_R_soft
10-31-2006, 02:30 PM
... not that he actually eats much of it, mind you! Picky, picky. But we keep putting it out -- every day it seems he eats something different, and there's no guessing what it might be! Yesterday's favorite is ... so YESTERDAY.

That statement is right on! The only constant favorite for Skipper is avacado and nuts nuts and more nuts.

Cage looks good. Can Skipper come over and play :)

Gabe
10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
That is a nice cage. Maybe you can keep your husband in it when he is not being hired out to build cages:)

Buddy'sMom
10-31-2006, 03:21 PM
That is a nice cage. Maybe you can keep your husband in it when he is not being hired out to build cages:)

hmmm .. interesting idea. BUT please don't give our neighbors any ideas -- it already occurred to us that someone might think we should have gotten a building permit....... BTW - how is your biting squirrel? Settled down any? Are you healing?

Also: [QUOTE: skwerls_R_soft: That statement is right on! The only constant favorite for Skipper is avacado and nuts nuts and more nuts. Cage looks good. Can Skipper come over and play ]

Buddy, too -- they certainly have that (avocado) in common. Maybe interesting idea? For 2 squirrels raised alone, is it now too late to introduce them to another squirrel before release?? (Can't recall Skipper's age; Buddy is almost 15 weeks) Would it help them to at least be cage-to-cage with another squirrel before encountering one after release?? Comments anyone?

Gabe
10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
My bites are healing, he is now in a release cage after escaping from his small cage. Now he doesn't feel as intimidated by me. Thanks for asking.

Squirrels are territorial, so to introduce a new squirrel, all you have to do is put them into a new territory, new cage, new nest boxes. This way no one "owns" the territory. They are all on the same ground.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-31-2006, 05:57 PM
That is a nice cage. Maybe you can keep your husband in it when he is not being hired out to build cagesI cant believe you said that!:jump

Luv2Spare
10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I have a spare bedroom for your hubby. Can someone loan me $1000.00???? hehe

:)

skwerls_R_soft
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Buddy, too -- they certainly have that (avocado) in common. Maybe interesting idea? For 2 squirrels raised alone, is it now too late to introduce them to another squirrel before release?? (Can't recall Skipper's age; Buddy is almost 15 weeks) Would it help them to at least be cage-to-cage with another squirrel before encountering one after release?? Comments anyone?

I have Skippers cage out on the edge of the woods and have attracted wild squirrels near the cage with food scattered on the ground and a "corn bungee" hanging from a tree.
The squirrels come by and "visit" in peace. Skipper watches them and they watch him. He has one "frequent flyer", a male, who visits often. I am wondering how this will have an effect on his social skills when he is released.

BTW, Skip is about 5 months old.