PDA

View Full Version : New to the board, but not to squirrels

BareFootAviary
06-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi there! I have been searching the web for info on permits and what my state sees as an "exotic" animal when I found this site. I still haven't found anything about North Dakota on this site, but from what I can tell, it is legal to keep Gray Squirrels (hopefully). See, I am from MN and I know it is illegal there without a permit, but here it seems that because in the town I live (Fargo), because there are no licensed rehabbers or wildlife centers, the DNR just tells people how to care for orphaned wildlife on their own.

I raised 2 Gray Squirrels a few years ago when the Raptor Center in Minneapolis, MN told me they would "put them down" and after their release, I have been in love with squirrels. I have raised a few different kinds of wildlife between then and now, but about 3 weeks ago, I was brought a baby Gray that had fallen out of a nest (so I assume due to her nerve damage). So far, she is growing great and seems to be gaining more control over her head movements (though the nerve damage is evident). I fear she may not be a candidate for release due to the damage. If this is the case, I am prepared for the long haul with her (as are the other occupants of our home including my fiance, our 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 18 birds). I know about diet and spacial needs but I was curious about other ways to set up a cage and different toys and activities to give her to keep her busy. I don't think she will be able to be a free-range squirrel in our home due to the other animals (though she gets plenty of time out of her cage for at least 6+ hours a day while I am home) so I think I need to find as many in-cage toy and activity options as possible.

In regards to the legality of it, I did find this in a news article dated in Sept. of '09:

North Dakota regulates what it calls nontraditional livestock by requiring licenses and enforcing rules on how the animals are kept and cared for.

Almost any kind of animal can be owned, except skunks and raccoons, which are forbidden because of the risk of disease.

All other animals fall into three numbered categories, with categories two and three requiring licensing that provides rules on how animals are controlled and cared for.

Category two includes animals like deer and wolverines.

Category three includes big cats, bears and primates.

"If you wanted to have a bear, you can have a bear. But you have to have a nontraditional livestock license and there are very specific requirements for what type of facility you must keep it in," said Beth Carlson, North Dakota's deputy state veterinarian.

When it comes to licensed animals, North Dakota conducts annual or biannual inspections of the facilities where the animals are kept.

Any more info would be great as I just can't seem to find anything online (though I have the Fish and Game phone number now and I can call tomorrow). BTW, I will be posting pics here soon.

Jackie in Tampa
06-14-2010, 06:45 AM
IMO...a permit to have a pet is a legality...but the important issue for all sq owners is having access to a vet.
I doubt anyone is going to blow the whistle on anyone for having a pet sq...:dono
I do not know the laws for ND...start calling around your community seeking exotic vet care...they may know the laws also..
You don't have to give your name or address until you are sure she is safe!
Several members on TSB have nuerologically damaged sqs, myself included. Sweet Jane and Luckilicious
We love pics...
:Welcome :wave123 WElcome to TSB!

BareFootAviary
06-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Jackie! I do have a vet that sees "all" animals that I go to for my birds and the rest of my animals. I work at a pet store and we also bring all of our animals there when they need vet care (everything from small animals to birds to reptiles and amphibians).

I am worried about having it legal as I was told a story about the DNR finding out about someone with "illegal" wildlife and they came in and took everything to be euthanized. I don't want my little girl "destroyed" because I didn't make things legal.

Here are some pics of "Dizzy" (my fiance named her..it's not really my favorite name so I just call her "Squirrelly". The second pic shows the problem a little. She doesn't always look off, but when she does, she looks very..well...dizzy....

virgo062
06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
He is very cute and healthy looking. I love chubby squirrels

island rehabber
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
awww....she's adorable...and yes, she's got that "stargazing" look that neuro squirrels so often have. Let me see if I can get you a similar pic of my Lenny, the sweetest, handsomest, but slightly dizzy guy you'd ever want to meet:

Wonkawillie
06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
I looked into a rehab license in my state. While reading through the entire booklet, I was kind of disgusted. The part about euthanising animals, was upsetting. Since only a lic. vet can get their hands on the lethal injection, the rehabbers are forced to use other means of "fast death". One of them is blunt head trauma, or jamming an object into the brain from the base of the scull.
Now I have been born and raised on a farm and I know that people hunt for food as well. This is a part of life and I am not that squimish about this kind of stuff. BUT.....if A child took its hampster and smashed its head with a rock, the child would be observed for a while and possibly placed in juvinile hall under animal cruelity laws. I understand that the child would have done this, because the kid was mean or had problems. BUT....
My state thinks that a perfectly healthy, happy, " wild" animal that becomes to imprinted on humans, should be distroyed. Also a nerve damaged squirrel that may not be able to be released, has a few choices, kill it, or get it to a zoo where they can keep it. A licensed rehabber can only keep it caged for up to one year.
So, pretty much, it is illegal to keep them without a license, but it is perfectly fine to just step on them and kill them opposed to try and save the little ones found.
This hurts me so much, that I am crying typing this.

I was really into the whole license thing until I read it through. At times I totally understand that something might need to be put down, but the forms of Euthanasia are horrible. I am sorry but there is nothing "painless and not stressfull" about twisting somethings head or decapitation. All more legal forms listed in the application process.
Off to grab some tissues.....

stosh2010
06-16-2010, 08:17 AM
YIKES....
I thought euthanised ( as bad as that is ) meant painless & humane...
Now all kinds of nightmare thoughts are roaming my mind.

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

Anne
06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Wonkawillie, My state Florida is very lenient about keeping wildlife as pets. However, the state does require that any animal with no chance of release be euthanized by those of us with a rehabilitation license. To keep that animal, a separate license is required-one for education and exhibit. I don't know if each animal has to have it's own special license of if this covers a group of animals under one person. (I've never been able to save the small fee and get it to the state -always spend on medicines or food). Here in Florida, it's up your vet if he gives you the drugs for euthanasia and train you in their use. Keep looking into this, don't give up.

BareFootAviary
07-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I still have yet to find out about the laws (I am terrified that if I call to ask, somehow I will have DNR at my door to take her and "destroy" her. Dizzy is growing bigger all the time but her "stargazing" is not really any different. She spins in circles when she is overly excited which I never saw the past rehab squirrels.

Wednesday I drove to pick up a 3 week old Red squirrel from a relative who found it in her basement on the floor. The poor guy was cold and dehydrated but is now doing good. I believe he is 3 weeks, but Red squirrels are new to me when it comes to rehab. I am not used to feeding such a small amount of formula! I was going to ask a feeding question, but I think I will post it in a different section on here instead.

Here is a pic of the little guy:

Ultra Peepi
07-13-2010, 10:35 PM
:Welcome Hi BareFootAviary, I am rather late seeing this but wanted to say welcome and this is the best place! such cute babes, good luck with them! the good and helpful members here are sure to be of assistance when you need it. :D

ps- i have suffered 3 concussions, the last one pretty bad with lasting effects, one of which is dizziness/vertigo... so i really feel for the little grey girl.:grouphug