PDA

View Full Version : Who NOT TO CALL: BAD Rehabbers & Wildlife Centers!

island rehabber
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
This thread should have been started 2 weeks ago and I apologize for letting life get in the way....
Atlantasquirrelgirl and I have started a list of rehabbers, nature centers or wildlife centers that have NOT DONE THEIR BEST for wildlife brought to them. We would like any member of TSB who has had a truly bad experience with one of these entities to PM me with the information about the incident, as follows:

*Name of Rehabber/Wildlife Center/Nature Center/Clinic
*Location & Tel number
*Individual in charge of your particular case,
*Summary of the incident, or bad practices - why do they belong on this list?

Publishing this list on the open Board would be legal suicide for TSB. Therefore, I will hold the list in a private Forum and anyone can ask me anytime about who is on it. So...send them in, folks, and I will add them as I get them. A few horrible events here last month have made me afraid to ever refer an Emergency poster to someone from my National Directory of Rehabilitators ever again, unless I know them personally.....:shakehead

island rehabber
06-13-2010, 03:54 PM
test

Mrs. Byrd
06-13-2010, 10:16 PM
i had the bad experience with h***** but don't black list them yet, it was truly an accident due to Oaty's odd size. Amazing idea though! Now it'll make things MUCH easier in emergencies! No more with the little voice saying "well what if.." :grouphug

island rehabber
06-14-2010, 07:24 AM
We will only consider candidates for The List after someone has PM'd me with an account of their story. And, to be fair, sometimes we may not list a place if we feel they truly didn't do wrong -- they were just faced with making a very hard decision. Let's face it, nobody likes to euthanize an animal, ever -- but there are times when it is necessary AND most humane. That said, I know there are enough horror stories out there to make this List very, very necessary.

CritterMom
06-14-2010, 07:53 AM
How will this work, IR? I mean, I understand that it can't be published, but how will newbies, who are most likely to need this, go about getting the info?

lizharrell1
06-14-2010, 08:01 AM
How will this work, IR? I mean, I understand that it can't be published, but how will newbies, who are most likely to need this, go about getting the info?
That is the EXACT same question I had.....If a newbie comes on here and is looking for something IMMEDIATE, the chances aren't real good that they will take the time to seek out this list, or for that matter, even know that it exists.:dono The idea is a great one though.Will be interesting to see how this is implemented.

Jackie in Tampa
06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
simple...make a stickey in the rehab forum...
to contact ADMIN for updated SAFE rehab locations available as we know them!:)

lizharrell1
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
simple...make a stickey in the rehab forum...
to contact ADMIN for updated SAFE rehab locations available as we know them!:)
:thumbsup

gs1
06-14-2010, 09:42 AM
well... i'll add ...municipial animal control... anywhere - unless in writing they're a no kill shelter...including rats/squirrels etc....

in this same batch i'd like to add ...never let a vet or anyone think that you are giving them a squirrel to do with as they think best... if you are in a legal state/province... let the vet know for sure that the squirrel is yours, you will be paying the bills... and you want it to live....you are not, not surrendering it to them....

also ... ontario, canada is a non-legal state and it is almost impossible to find vet care for them... and I'm assuming they will be put to sleep...

it's better to assume the worst of people when dealing with any animal but especially ....squirrels/rats/racoons etc...

sorry this is a clumsy post ...but i think i need more coffee....:)

island rehabber
06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Please, PLEASE PM me with specific information on bad places. We do not want Squerly, Momma Squirrel, TSB and IR to GET SUED for slander! :nono (gs1 I copied your references into the List before deleting here. :) )

The way it will work is: BEFORE we refer anyone to any rehabber or wildlife center we don't know about personally, we will cross-reference this list via me or any Admin or licensed rehabber on the board to make sure they are not on it. I know, it's clunky right now, but it's certainly better than what happened, for example, to astra. :shakehead

gs1
06-14-2010, 10:45 AM
We do not want Squerly, Momma Squirrel, TSB and IR to GET SUED for slander! :nono

whoops!!! no!!! and never!!!!:thumbsup

momma2boo
06-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I think this is a WONDERFUL idea and believe it will save the lives of many a critter.

Thank you!