PDA

View Full Version : New...with introduction

Wonkawillie
06-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, A while back ( about 4 years ), I took care of a tiny squirrel who was orphaned. I have a passion for all animals, but after this experiance I was amazed at how brilliant squrrels are!!! I did a soft release and all went well. After about a month of daily playing in the trees and then a lock up for the evening, she ventured off farther each day. I would followed her, and then this final day, she kept going, so far I could not keep up. I said my goodbyes, cried a bit, but knew this is what it was all about.
This spring a friend called with two baby squirrels in need of help. Mom killed in the nearby road, three babies on the ground nearby. One dead, the other two in very bad condition. No food for a few days and so cold they were stiff. I did the routine, warm them, hydrate and begin food. They were thriving. The super suckers that they are... the boy aspirated so badly ( from a pin pricked syringe only!!!). He was in imediate trouble, and just nothing I could do. He died by morning. The girl who was in the worst possible condition was doing great. Then she aspirated. Not sure how this can happen, as the syringe I use has simply the pin prick in it. They get food slowly, but suck uncontrolably. Anyway I felt useless she was in bad shape after aspiration. I thought for sure she would be dead by morning. In the morning she was alive and I managed to mix up some amixicillian mixture. After her first dose, a few hours later, she was greatly improved and looking to eat. She has since thrived into an amazing girl. She is now 4 months old about.
I intended to release her the same place I did the other. It is far from my house, but at the far end of my 30 acre property. I have dogs that will kill anything that moves outside, so I like to release far from them, where they do not go. After One night up in the location for release, I saw all kinds of footprints. Fox, raccoon, etc. All around the cage. She was scared!!!! I was heartbroke. I could not leave her there. I now have this cage on my kitchen patio. The dogs are left inside when I let her out to play, but human error may come into play and I dont want her to be killed by them. Squirrels are fast and I rarely hear of a dog catching one, but........ I simply do not know what to do. My biggest worry asside from the dogs. If I release her up on the hill, she will run to any person. Of course these people will be freaked out and think she has rabies or somthing and probubly kill her. I just do not know what to do. My husband says " keep her". He loves her too. I dont want to deny her of being a squirrel, but I dont want to put her in harm either. What to do??????????????
Not so sure I have ever been so attached to something. She is amazing!!!!!!
I would feel sick to just do a hard release into a state forest or something.
She would be so scared. At night she wants to come out of her cage ( where she has a fleece, fur lined ferret bed that she loves), and get into my sweatshirt!
Ideas anyone????

Ultra Peepi
06-13-2010, 02:34 AM
:Welcome first off hello and it is excellent that you found this board.

I am sure there will be many people here on sunday to offer advice/assistance, as everyone here is so warm hearted and helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that the location you wished to do a soft release isn't safe. Most unsettling to see the tracks you found I'm sure... I can only wish you the best of luck at finding a good solution.:grouphug

A while back I took in a baby red squirrel who had fallen from his tree and been abandoned; he was with me for a little over a year and quite happy to be inside and I grew more attached to him than any other pet or animal I think I've ever shared my life with (squirrels are special that way:rotfl ). It was torturous when he wilded up and decided he wanted out and I scrambled for a few weeks till I found a nature center that would take him in for a soft release, they even over-wintered him. He has been free for little more than a month now and so many days I just stop and say out loud how much I miss little dude and hope he is safe, sound and happy... then I try not to cry again cause I miss him. It was a very rich experience full of many extreme emotions... I cannot say that I could do that all again, and would advise others to seriously think about sharing your home with a wild friend; it can be wonderful for all involved, as you can see from members here, but as with many things in life wrong/bad turns can happen and you've got to be as prepared for it as you can be.

Ronda
06-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Hello and welcome!

stosh2010
06-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Welcome to TSB. So Glad You Could Visit....

Do you have photos TO SHARE.? ? We are all Pics-Junkies on the "BOARD"

What's her name ???

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

Wonkawillie
06-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, today being Sunday, I had a lot of time at home for a supervised day out with my girl. I think she spent the most outside time today, ever. Some kind of unsupervised. My neighbor stopped by and we chatted outside with her out of sight for about 30 minutes. She was in a nearby tree working on her nest. Poor girl, she works so hard but most of her twigs she gathers fall to the ground when she places them. I then told my neighbor I was getting a bit worried and had to go see where my girl was. She was busy working on her nest, but zipped down the tree and ran up the leg of my 65 year old neighbor lady. I warned her about my girl, so she was ok with this invader! LOL!
My yard is a such a safe place for her asside from my dogs. I live way off the road with nothing but woods behind me for acres and acres. No houses in sight.
This nest she is working on is only about 50 feet from my kitchen door.
She had hours outside beinbg free today. I then gathered her up to put her in her outdoor cage. Each time it is time to go back in the cage, she argues with me a bit more. She loves her freedom.
Playing it one day at a time.

Mrs. Byrd
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
:Welcome looking forward to seeing pictures of your little girl!

SquirrelsinSingapore
06-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Hello and welcome..
Well since you mentioned you had such a big place of property, could you allocate for her half a room, (and with windows so she could get healthy rays in) And may i suggest putting branches for her to chew to simulate a playing environment. Some sand on a clear box to practise forging, things she can climb on and room for her to manuver around - to be as squirrel as possible.
In that way, you can still provide her the food, hydration, and check her every now and then. I am sure space isn't much of an issue for your case?

Hope this suggestion helps .....

Regina
08-26-2010, 10:30 PM
hi everyone, i am from Austin, Texas and i am so excited to start checking out this site. in 2003 we found a baby squirrel about 1 day old and we called wildlife rescue. they then gave me a contact number of a lady near me who rescues and is a rehabber of squirrels. she begged me and asked can u please keep her if i tell u step by step and we stay in contact daily. i said sure. i am 56 and have nowhere to go, i am a homebody. anyway it worked out great and glad i was able to keep her till about 15 weeks old. see the rehabber had 31 babies she was swamped and i am glad she was. what a wonderful experience it was. she grew healthy and was so frisky and happy and in great health. we then met her at a restaraunt near our home to take the little girl to her, to train her how to find food in the woods and to beware of predators (cats dogs people ect.) anyway 2 weeks ago i took my dog out for her last potty for the night it was 1:30. she would not come in and layed down. my dog never ever lays in the grass EVER.. she insisted i come to her. i did and there was a newborn baby squirrel. its little belly button was bloody and scabbed. so i knew it was onlt approx. 1 day old. tuesday she turned 2 weeks old and is doing great. i feed her with a syringe of espilac, a drop at a time so it does not come her nose especuially now she gets so excited. i feed her every 2 hours or so and she is growing. was very sad , was told if one fell to keep checking in case another baby falls. i kept checking and there it was, it had died and i was heartbroken. but i do know it makes me feel good to at least save this one. i will need u guys because i am alittle rusty and not sure of when and what when she needs real food. so am glad i have met u all and would love to show u the photos i have taken daily of this precious little girl. if theres anything u guys wnat to make sure i am doing at this stage of the baby raising just write me and ask and i will tell u what all i am doing, and we shall see if u have better suggestions. thank you all for being here in case i need you. you never know...