PDA

View Full Version : Happy to be here!

Fivefootsix
06-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Everyone...Thrilled to find this site! My Australian Terrier found an orphaned baby squirrel in the yard (at about 3 weeks old), and I've been playing "Mommy" for him for the past 2 months. Little "Ozzy" is doing GREAT and about 3 months old now. After living in my old parrot cage for 2 months, I built an outdoor cage for him and placed it in the backyard and filled it with long branches, food & water bowls, and lots of fun "squirrel stuff". He's lovin' it and I'm lovin' watching him grow. So far he has been right on schedule with all I have read and researched about raising baby squirrels, but it saddens me a bit that I am his only "playmate". Don't want to make my first post too long...just wanted to introduce myself and read what other 'Squirrel lover's' have to say and hear their experiences. You guys are great! Thank You!

Jackie in Tampa
06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
:Welcome :wave123 Welcome to TSB!

we love stories and pics!
What type of sq is Ozzy?:Love_Icon

island rehabber
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
IF he's out on Lawn Guyland :D, I'm betting he's an Eastern Grey. :wave123 hi from across the water here on City Island, and :Welcome to TSB!
You are right to be concerned about your little guy being an only kid; it is always harder for them when they're not released with other squirrels. Let me ask you: is your yard and surrounding area safe for Ozzie if you release him there when he's ready?

Momma Squirrel
06-09-2010, 10:48 AM
:wave123 Ozzy, we sure would like to see a picture of you. Sounds like you have a great human taking very good care of you. :thumbsup

Ultra Peepi
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
:Welcome hello!

TinyPaws
06-09-2010, 09:36 PM
:wave123 Hi :Welcome to TSB..Please share your photos..

Skul
06-10-2010, 02:57 AM
For some reason, I can't think of a better name for the little fuzzer.:rotfl

Ronda
06-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Welcome!
:Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome
:worthless
lol.. really we would love to see some Best wishes Ozzy!
(imma Ozzy Osbourne fan-love the name :crazy )

Fivefootsix
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Thank You for ALL your wonderful comments!
Ozzy is indeed a "Lawn Guyland" Eastern Grey (he chirps with the same accent I have)...:thumbsup

I have a typical suburbia fenced yard filled with Maple, Oak, Wild Cherry, and red & white Mulberry trees and I feed an assortment of Eastern birds daily (the Mulberrys are ripening as I type this and boy are they yummy).

I've placed his new outdoor cage (aka a verticle dog crate wrapped with chicken wire) under the biggest Mulberry tree in a corner of the yard farthest away from the street.
It contains good climbing branches, dry & fresh leaves, rope (which he swings like Tarzan on) and placed ceramic food & water bowls up high in the cage along with a metal basket he has made a bed out of, complete with "blankie" and stuffing from various old dog toys.

He's eating better than I am...Fresh veggies & fruits, although assorted nuts and corn on cob are his favs!

Ozzy seems to be enjoying "the great outdoors", but I'm going to take it slow when it comes to actually opening the cage and releasing him. I enjoy watching him do the cute things he does and how attentive he is at checking out each new item I place in his cage.

I will now attempt to post pics!
Thanks again for your comments :thankyou

Skul
06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Insert foot tapping, waiting for pix.